Sign in to follow this  

CRF150RB Suspension rebuild

Hey everyone, I recently picked up a nice CRF150RB and noticed that the forks are leaking. I guess it is time to throw some money into it. Can anyone recommend good aftermarket parts to use on my forks or should I stick with OEM. If so, what exactly do I need to have my forks working properly again without any leaks.    Thanks!

I recently picked up a nice CRF150RB and noticed that the forks are leaking.

What exactly do I need to have my forks working properly again without any leaks.

Can anyone recommend good aftermarket parts to use on my forks or should I stick with OEM. 

Forks can leak because there is dirt under the seals, because the seals are worn (and probably the bushings too), or because a fork tube is nicked from flying debris or a crash and has damaged a seal.

For under $4 you can get a fork seal cleaner and see if that works: 

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/989/25537/Motion-Pro-Seal-Mate-Fork-Seal-Cleaner?term=seal%20cleaner

You can check for nicks by wiping down the fork legs and very carefully inspecting them by eyeball and touch. If you have a small nick you can usually level it by block-sanding and polishing it with fine wet/dry abrasive (400, then 600 grit) and fill any depression with a small dab of steel-filled epoxy, which you will then have to level carefully. Then try it out. If it still leaks, the seal, at minimum, will need to be replaced, and possibly the fork leg too, which means disassembly of the forks.

If the seals are worn out, you need to disassemble the forks completely, and using your shop manual (you do have one, don't you?) check all tolerances and replace everything that is out of tolerance.

There's no reason to go with any aftermarket parts unless you need springs to compensate for your weight/speed.

Hello again, I don't believe my fork is nicked considering it is a bike in fairly good condition. I believe that the seals just need to be replaced with the oil. Can you recommend me what I would need to purchase to completely replace the old stuff.? seals, oils, etc? Thank you!

Your shop manual has all that in section 12. If you don't have one, get one, then do the work.

If you just had a list of parts, how would you know what to do with them?

But here is a kit to do the job:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1049/-/825674/Pivot-Works-Fork-Kit?v=5807

P.S. If you RFTM it will tell you what kind and how much oil, and also how to perform the work properly.

Edited by Old Plonker