Sign in to follow this  

Need help - white smoke coming from exhaust

Looking for some help/advice on my bike. I have a 2002 Yamaha TTR 125 dirt bike. I've been riding it all year and went for a long ride yesterday, but started having some trouble. The bike was sounding a bit funny, kind of rumbling, and had white smoke coming out the exhaust. After noticing it was riding weird I was heading back home but it quit on me. Kind of sputter, maybe a small backfire, and shut off. I trailered the bike home from there. Noticed the oil was low so I changed it and it was very black. Put fresh oil in and it started right up first kick. Still has white smoke coming out. Don't notice any strong smells to it, but it seems to get worse the longer its running. Any advice? What can I check first? Not a mechanic by any  means but like to try to work on the bike and fix what I can before taking it to the shop. Thanks!

Run dry of oil could have damaged the rings might be oil getting past the rings now from the bottom end? Not too good with 4 strokes.

Nice try troll.

Ttr is air cooled.

Its probably either rings or a valve. Time for inspection and rebuild.

• Like 4

Nice try troll.

Ttr is air cooled.

Hahahaha... oh yeah, I forgot that.

• Like 1

Samthing happened with my cr rings went bad and had to replace them smoked really bad after from oil getting into exhaust that will stop after you burn the oil out of the exhaust

• Like 2

Nice try troll.

Ttr is air cooled.

Spark plugs cross threaded letting the injectors leak anti-freeze on the tranny gears. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to start with o-ring replacement since it looks fairly cheap and straightforward. From my manual, it looks like there's 4 o-rings that I need to replace: 1-Crankshaft end accessing screw 2-Timing mark accessing screw 3-Exhaust tappet cover 4- Intake tappet cover

Does this seem correct?

Also, is there a generic brand for "lithium soap base grease" that I can look for in the store?

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to start with o-ring replacement since it looks fairly cheap and straightforward. From my manual, it looks like there's 4 o-rings that I need to replace: 1-Crankshaft end accessing screw 2-Timing mark accessing screw 3-Exhaust tappet cover 4- Intake tappet cover

Does this seem correct?

Also, is there a generic brand for "lithium soap base grease" that I can look for in the store?

Changing those o-rings will do you absolutely no good for your problem. When you do a new top end, sure you should replace those seals but right now it will not remedy your problem.

Changing those o-rings will do you absolutely no good for your problem. When you do a new top end, sure you should replace those seals but right now it will not remedy your problem.

Where should I start then? I'm not mechanically talented enough to rebuild the top end myself, so should I just take it to a shop for inspection and see what they say?

Where should I start then? I'm not mechanically talented enough to rebuild the top end myself, so should I just take it to a shop for inspection and see what they say?

Fly me over to America and I'll do the top end for you?

• Like 3

It depends how bad it is smoking. Mine smokes blue/white almost all the time but I top up with oil every ride and it keeps going. I can't be bothered to repair it if it stills runs ok! If yours will still run after you clean the spark plug and you keep checking the oil there shouldn't be a problem riding it. Mine's been like it for years!