Bike Stops While Riding

Hello all. 

I have a KDX 220, 2001. Its 2 stroke. I am still newbie, so still learning. 

Today, I start riding normal for about 1 hour and then the bike stopped. I realize I have no more gas after a few time trying to start it. 

I look at the choke switch to put in RESERVE so I can start it up til I get back to my gas tank and notice the Choke Switch is in position ON. So for about a hour I been riding with the choke in ON position. I didn't think anything of it, just was trying to get back to gas tank. 

I filled the the tank with gas, out the Choke in OFF and rode off. 

The bike stopped on me like 3 times while riding. To restart it, i put Choke in ON, start, then back to OFF. I ride off it stops again. It will only continue to ride with Choke in ON position without stopping. 

Hope I didnt screw anything up. My first time on bike since I bought it.

THanks

• Like 1

Did it run fine prior to you purchasing the bike?  It sounds like a jetting problem to me.

Thanks,

I just had a top end job done before riding the bike today, a week ago. 

Before the bike ran out of gas it was riding fine, with no problems. While filling up with gas, the other end of the hose that goes on the gas tank popped off. Not sure where it goes. I put in a hole on the handle bar.

Thanks,

Before the bike ran out of gas it was riding fine, with no problems. While filling up with gas, the other end of the hose that goes on the gas tank popped off. Not sure where it goes. I put in a hole on the handle bar.

That hose on the gas cap is just a vent tube.... and yes people put it inside that handle bar hole.

But yeah, did you remember to add 2 stroke oil when you filled up at the gas station?

Thanks,

You mean the hose that goes to the gas cap? That's just a vent. In the middle of the bars is fine. Just don't let it get stopped up or it will act like it's running out of gas again

Pie....

That hose on the gas cap is just a vent tube.... and yes people put it inside that handle bar hole.

But yeah, did you remember to add 2 stroke oil when you filled up at the gas station?

Thanks, yes I used this oil http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Parts/Oils/2-Stroke-Oil/brand/MAXIMA/Castor-927-Racing-Oil/p/31332_29181?mr:referralID=9bf61766-e525-11e3-bc04-001b2166becc&gclid=CjgKEAjwzIucBRDzjIz9qMOB3TASJABBIwL15Dkzra-Jr3a1Ltn_5jDcSOA4M1Ys_SCUEU9toXCZzfD_BwE to mix it with 4 gallons of oil before riding today.

• Like 1

Change the spark plug. You fouled it when you ran it for so long with the choke on.

I myself have a 1998 KDX 220. Got any aftermarket parts on it yet?

Thanks jwhking1315. 

I have not rode it yet since it raining and will change the spark plug.

Would the spark plug be the reason for it stopping like that? Also, someone at the race track mention by me being a beginner, I need to change my spark plugs often since I am not riding wide open. 

Thanks

• Like 1

Plug is definitely fouled ?  Always try to start your bike without the choke first , six or 8 slow kicks to charge the cylinder then a good one. Most bikes will start like this if the carbs right. Some bikes need it and that's what it's there for, but you will never forget the choke if you don't use it. You won't gas soak spark plugs either.  :ride:

• Like 1

Thanks jwhking1315. 

I have not rode it yet since it raining and will change the spark plug.

Would the spark plug be the reason for it stopping like that? Also, someone at the race track mention by me being a beginner, I need to change my spark plugs often since I am not riding wide open. 

Thanks

Never hurts to have a few extra new plugs , and you will foul plugs putting around especially using castor premix , it's great oil it's just tacky and leaves carbon buildup in my experiences with it, if you aren't riding on the pipe alot. Is a good thing you are using it with a fresh top end. 

dam...that's all lubed up nicely. ?  Change the plug. Have a look at your air cleaner as well. It's prolly gonna' smoke for a bit...and I mean smoke for a bit and you may even spend another plug but it's a KDX. Tough to kill.

Plug is definitely fouled ?  Always try to start your bike without the choke first , six or 8 slow kicks to charge the cylinder then a good one. Most bikes will start like this if the carbs right. Some bikes need it and that's what it's there for, but you will never forget the choke if you don't use it. You won't gas soak spark plugs either.  :ride:

Thanks Beau. 

Any method to changing the spark plugs besides just replacing the existing plug with a new one? 

Can I change this on Friday or does this have to be change now? I want ride again til Saturday. 

Here is what is confusing me seriously. I see a choke (on, off, reserve) and I see a black knob (i think choke knob it pulls up and down).

When do I use the Choke ON and black knob, and do I not use the Choke and black knob.

Thanks

Never hurts to have a few extra new plugs , and you will foul plugs putting around especially using castor premix , it's great oil it's just tacky and leaves carbon buildup in my experiences with it, if you aren't riding on the pipe alot. Is a good thing you are using it with a fresh top end. 

Thanks Beau 88,

what does "putting around", "riding on the pipe" means? My mechanic mentioned that Castor premix leaves carbon buildup as well. 

• Like 1

dam...that's all lubed up nicely. ?  Change the plug. Have a look at your air cleaner as well. It's prolly gonna' smoke for a bit...and I mean smoke for a bit and you may even spend another plug but it's a KDX. Tough to kill.

Thanks poconovfr, 

What is an air cleaner? Why would it smoke for a bit? What does "spend another plug means".

I know these questions are easy for most, but only way I can learn by asking questions and reading my manual.

Thanks

That^^^

That on/off/reserve is your petcock. It should be on while riding or doing anything, off when stored away, and reserve if you run out.

It's called the fuel petcock or shutoff if you prefer.

The black knob you're referring to is the choke. Pull it up only when starting it, and push it down after it's done idling. Don't ride with it up or you'll foul a plug.

You don't need to pull the choke out to start every time, only when you're starting it cold.

When you're riding: petcock ON, choke pushed down.

Starting the bike for the first time: petcock ON, choke pulled out.

Storing away: petcock OFF, choke pushed down.

Again, you'll only ever need the choke to start the bike cold, never anytime else.

The petcock should also always be on, unless it's in your garage or whatever.

Black knob is choke. You are turning off your gas then your carb runs out because there is no gas going to it. Pretty damn sure that's your problem.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I was like nah...

OP...

- Putting around = riding slowly

- On the pipe = riding at high rpm (in the power band)

- Air cleaner = foam air filter on the intake side of you carburetor

- It will smoke because there is a build up of excess fuel and oil in the engine which must burn off before the bike can run right again

- Spend another plug means you might foul another plug before the bike burns off the excess fuel and oil, so buy extras

Edited by Fattonz