Sign in to follow this  

Shock Oil Type? 1989 CR125

Yeah that'd be great b/c my clymer manual doesn't say anything about servicing the internals of the shock I guess they didn't want people dicking around in there. 

Manual calls out Honda SS-7, but you can use anything similar.

Motul Shock Oil is very similar in viscosity, but has a lot better viscosity index (higher means less viscosity change with temperature)

• Like 1

Manual calls out Honda SS-7, but you can use anything similar.

Motul Shock Oil is very similar in viscosity, but has a lot better viscosity index (higher means less viscosity change with temperature)

Awesome! Can you look up the fork oil type by any chance for me as well?

Edited by MrN2OBelvedere

Awesome! Can you look up the fork oil type by any chance for me as well?

I can double check when I get home but I'm 99% sure it will call out Honda HP 5wt fork oil (or whatever it was called in the 80s)

This site: http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid has a lot of good info on suspension oils. Its a good reference to compare viscosities between different oils. SAE weights are not good measurements of suspension oils because they allow for pretty wide variation of viscosity and each manufacturer seems to use its own scale. Its best to compare viscosity numbers directly.

Edited by XR250rdr

I have found that slightly heavier 7wt Maxima shock fluid works best in these older shocks. Between the typically light 80/90's valving and worn out shim stacks, 5wt oil will result in a bouncy shock.

• Like 1