Sign in to follow this  

Tough ol' pig.

Had an abrupt meeting with another rider recently. Head-on impact. 

SAM_0978-L.jpgDidn't leak. Rode it back to the truck. Other than the rad and shroud bike survived better than it's rider. I spent a few hrs in the ER. 

My knee swelled up like a volleyball. Inside of my leg was bruised from mid thigh to mid calf. Foot bruised on both sides and swollen. Assorted bruises and pain in the shin. Nothing broken and probably(?) no concussion. I was fortunate compared to the other guy. He broke both arms. 

I did the head-on dance years ago... going way too fast on a single track and met another bike... also going way too fast... right in the apex of a corner. It didn't end well (riding gear is a good thing). Good to see you came out of your adventure in one piece.

head on in a corner of a trail is easily done..both riders tend to cut in to the smaller radius of the turn..and fly out the exit..unfortunately only one guy is supposed to be on the inside........ :facepalm:

B

Mountaintime... hope the volleyball size swelling subsided. If you continue having issues, be careful because you can easily develop a blood clot and then the real fun begins.

You don't want that to happen! A simple ultrasound can determine if you're developing a DVT. I hope the ER took that into consideration.

I collided once back in the 80's when I was young.. I was the guy that came over a jump in 4th or 5th gear and landed on another rider - we were sharing the same line. I came out of the mishap with a broken clavicle.

Take care.

I did the head-on dance years ago... going way too fast on a single track and met another bike... also going way too fast... right in the apex of a corner. It didn't end well (riding gear is a good thing). Good to see you came out of your adventure in one piece.

This exact same thing happened to me about a year ago or so. Almost had a head on with an atv. We were both to blame...excessive speed on the trails. He ran over my front headlight/speedo instrument assembly destroying it. I was lucky thats all that happened. Could have been a tragic situation. I learned that day while it is fun ripping around in the woods, it can also be a dangerous place.

May I enquire as to your attire? Were you wearing riding boots?

This year my boy has just stepped up to a WRF250 from a DRZ125. Our focus on riding gear when he was on his 125 was a touch minimal, just a helmet and shoes was ok with us.

Now he has the boots, pants, gloves, body armour built into his riding jacket, helmet & goggles. There is too much at stake to not don as much protection as you can afford. There is an element of risk associated with every ride you go on, negate the negative consequences of that risk with protective clothing. I tell my kids coming off a dirt bike is going to happen its just a matter of when & be prepared for it when it does happen by wearing the right gear.

Not suggesting you were not prepared, but there is a lesson there for someone.

Hope you make a speedy recovery :)

Just remember the more you armor, the faster you ride and more risk you take...

At least that's the way my brain worked when I was 15... you need it, but it doesn't make you invincible.

Just remember the more you armor, the faster you ride and more risk you take...

At least that's the way my brain worked when I was 15... you need it, but it doesn't make you invincible.

Correct

Glad you're okay Mountaintime. It's a different experience colliding with another rider, isn't it?

It happened to me in 1984. I was taking my boss' son who was '82 XR200R mounted, for a mild trail ride after work. I was on my '82 XR500R and since it was a slow ride and after work (highly unlikely anyone would be where we were going), I didn't wear my helmet--I usually wore it every time.

Coming back I got a bit ahead so I slowed down and was just thumping along in third, rounded a corner and BAM!--right into my neighbor who was wide open in sixth on his CR125R Elsinore. That was the first time I had ever been knocked out.  

I hyper extended both wrists and knees which swelled up huge. My bike sustained bent forks, bent triple clamps, shattered front fender and number plate. His bike, however got the sh!tty end of the stick--ripped the front end completely off the bike and broke one fork in half.

I ended up riding him out on my wounded bike. Once I got home, the adrenaline wore off and the pain hit. I was pretty sore for a while but being 18 I healed quick. My knees bothered me for a couple years after though.