Sign in to follow this  

DRZ Getting pressure in fuel tank

So went riding today first real ride of the season.  Im at sea level.  Rode for an hour or so then the bike stalled out.  Started back up with a little struggle this repeated a couple of times and I headed back home to change the fuel as it had been in there all winter and I was hoping it was bad.  When I took the fuel line off it was blowing fuel out.  Very unusual.  Changed the gas and tried again quite sure we hadnt found the problem.  Rode until the gas in the bowl was burnt and it died again. took gas cap off and it was pressurized again.  After lots of trial and error and ripping the carb off making sure all jets were clean and whatnot I found that if i let the petcock on the prime position it ran fine.  If i would turn it to reserve or the on position it would burn what was in the bowl then die.  turn it to prime and it was fine.  Rode the rest of the day on prime and it was fine.   Im not sure where these things vent is it through the gas cap?  Or the second hose on the back side of the carb?  Sorry dont know much about these.  Any suggestions on whats up or where to start? 

Thanks alot.

Mike

Your petcock (fuel valve) is bad.  Get rid of the stock one & replace it with a manual one.

If you have more questions later I may not respond because my computer is trying to lock up.  :smashpc:

Edited by billdirt1

Petcock is not working properly and you fuel vent in the gas cap is not working right

• Like 1

Ok Thanks alot everyone I really appriciate your help.  Is it possible that the vent on the gas cap is only a one way vent? Meaning it will let air in but not out?

• Like 1