Sign in to follow this  

Is there normally a loud sound from the clutch, or is it the crank?

I haven't rode my rm for a long time, I've been with KTM. right now it just needs a new top end, but I want to make sure that the crank is still good, before putting money into it. I just put money into a plating, and piston/rings on my KTM, and the rod bearings froze up, it seemed fine when I checked it. 

The sound I am talking about, is not running, it's just sitting there and cranking it over. can't explain it, just sounds like a rubbing sound, might be from the clutch, I plan on taking the cover off, and see what is in there. it has been such a long time ago, that I don't remember if that is normal when I first got my rm.

Can anybody confirm that it's a normal sound?

Well, we took the clutch side case off, to see what it could be, guessing it's just the gears being loud. it has been such a long time since I rode this bike, I never noticed this sound before, it's like wheels on a metal track. 

I don't ever have time to look it up, but where can I get different size pistons? since I know I don't have stock bore anymore, I have about I have an extra .001 clearance now.

seems smooth to me are you talkin about the small clank ? you hear it every other crank or whatever ? i hear it from :09 to :12 and it sounds like metal to metal contact, maybe something on the crank shaft rubbing or making contact during revolution

did you check side to side play and up and down play

seems smooth to me are you talkin about the small clank ? you hear it every other crank or whatever ? i hear it from :09 to :12 and it sounds like metal to metal contact, maybe something on the crank shaft rubbing or making contact during revolution

did you check side to side play and up and down play

that clank is me hitting the piston on the case. I can't explaine the sound, is the "rolling" sound. see we check the play on my KTM before we rebuilt the top, and it seemed fine, but it went out after a couple hours, so that is why I made this, to find out if anyones rm makes the same sound...we took the case cover off, to see inside, and we just figure that it is the Primary drive, to the clutch hub gears. the straight cut gears are usually noisy. side to side, and up, and down seem really good actually. 

I just now, had this thought, I wonder if my KTM rod bearing, got moisture on it, it sat for a couple weeks, so I wonder if it might have started rusting possibly, because it's frozen pretty good on the bearings.

Yea there's no oil/fluid in the tranny right ? yea that's the sound from the primary gear drive when there's no fluid in the tranny