Sign in to follow this  

Should I clean and regrease bearings?

Shoukd I clean and regrease the bearings on my suspension linkage? They still move fine but im just assuming I should clean and regrease them but idk, thanks input

From what I've read, if it's never been done, definitely do it because the amount of lubrication as applied by Suzuki is a joke. I'm about to do mine this week as soon as my lift arrives. Some people do this every year but I would think the need would vary by the mileage and type of riding you do (i.e. street vs mud & water)

• Like 2

yes do it. I did my new 14 with 100 miles or so and the amount of grease is sad. the swing arm bolt had nothing.

Edited by ripping r

its pretty easy to tell whats going on with the swingarm off, i never had a problem but then again i dont submerge mine in the swamp .. i would say mainly make sure the seals stay in good shape and dont let grit get in them when you have it apart ..

• Like 2

I just did mine. The swingarm pivot bolt had some pitting in the center where it sits in the engine cavity. I just packed the shit out of that little area with grease and now I feel good.

• Like 1

Jeez damn now ya spring this on me? Lol idk if im doing all that i already took the front wheel off and back on twice its not very fun put grease on then got belray felt safer with that. idk if any of thats gonna happen. Is it bad if it sounds like the break pads slightly in contact with the disc for the front tire?

Jeez damn now ya spring this on me? Lol idk if im doing all that i already took the front wheel off and back on twice its not very fun put grease on then got belray felt safer with that. idk if any of thats gonna happen. Is it bad if it sounds like the break pads slightly in contact with the disc for the front tire?

push the pads into the caliper and spin the wheel again. if the sound is still there, your bearings are shot. 

greasing new bearings is something i always do. they come with very little, and after a little experiment i tried, realized the grease is not waterproof. 

I'm waiting until winter to grease the head...I'll only put <500mi on this season so it's not like it will see a lot of wear. Only reason I'm doing the swingarm this week is I already have to take the rear wheel off to replace the spring and chain/sprocket so while I'm in there...

Edited by Joehio

I cant even do the head cuz the aftermaroet handlebars i have dont really come off.. they do but the protaper pad thing is to big to get around and loosen or tighten the clamps. Jeez i mean i didnt realize you have to take the bike apart and out it back together everyear damn lol thats alot to do every year. I bet any other person whi doesnt do the work themselves i bet it doesnt get done. What shop is gonna grease all these things unless u specifically tell them and pay them extra for it? Not one in my area would... so unless you do it yourself it would never get done. And if i never came to this site things like this would never get done and go unnoticed

These are items that need to be done on pretty much every bike and most have more stringent requirements for checking valves etc so the DRZ is more maintenance free than many bikes.

Unless you really get into a lot of water and mud and don't drive a ton of miles, I would think you could lay off doing the greasing until every other year.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

Idk i would do the head but i wouldnt be able to get in there and tighten anything back up so idk... ill probly put in at least 1000 miles this summer but idk. Id like to if everything was more easily accessible idk i may but idt its even a possibility for me.. maybe next year or over the winter i plan on possibly getting risers for the handlebars so id have to be taking things off anyway. Think its safe for another year? Idk lol i want to rideeeee im dying. Either way im waiting for my swingarm to get back from being welded

I cant even do the head cuz the aftermaroet handlebars i have dont really come off.. they do but the protaper pad thing is to big to get around and loosen or tighten the clamps. Jeez i mean i didnt realize you have to take the bike apart and out it back together everyear damn lol thats alot to do every year. I bet any other person whi doesnt do the work themselves i bet it doesnt get done. What shop is gonna grease all these things unless u specifically tell them and pay them extra for it? Not one in my area would... so unless you do it yourself it would never get done. And if i never came to this site things like this would never get done and go unnoticed

It takes like 2 hours...... use an open ended 10mm for the handlebar clamps. And do this every year? Like i said i do this one every 1-3 months, these aren't daily drivers, that's the "high maintenance" thing everyone refers to. Youre acting surprised

Arent the clamps supposed to be torqued? Or will just tightening them be fine? When i put the bars on i just tightened them i brought it to a shoo for service last year and asked hik to make sure they were tight good who knows if they really did. I guess im gonna do it and make the right choice. I feel like if i use the bellray grease itd probly be good for every other year like joehio said. Might as well do it so i know what to do next time. I just hate taking that front tire off. And my bikes up on a bucket atm... lol not the best idea but the jack i tried to use wouldnt hold up over night

i do this one every 1-3 months

How many miles are you putting on the bike in that period? It seems to be a very short interval. Just based on what I've seen online, most do annually and many never even bother after doing it once (foolsih IMO). I don't have an owners manual so I'm not sure what Zook recommendeds for these if they mention it at all.

Edited by Joehio