First hare scramble

My first hare scramble coming up is June 15th in the WEXCR series (great series by the way). I plan to walk the track before the race because I don't like surprises and I'm not gonna lie I'm a little nervous. Anybody have any tips for the morning of the race? How much to eat or drink? How to control pre race nerves? I've got a 2 liter hydration pack and all the necessary gear to stay alive haha. Oh I almost forgot, what are the odds that I'll have to take a huge dump during this race?! Hahaha that's my biggest fear, rather than crashing and getting hurt I'm scared I'll have to take the Browns to the Super Bowl! Wish me luck fellas, I'll try to take the GoPro with me and get some footage!

Hard Boiled eggs, jalapeño's & coca cola.

That will get rid of the jitters!

Joking!

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 3

Make sure the bike is ready before the day of the race. This will reduce any pre race stress. Pack all gear and equipment the day before if possible. If you are driving the day of, make sure to arrive early. If you are camping make sure to get plenty of rest. 

When walking the track you won't be able to remember everything, try to find key points and hazards to be mindful of. The rest just try and recall how the trail "looked" Rooted, soft, muddy, and such. Adjust tire pressure accordingly. I go to every race with the mindset of "This will suck, but let's have fun!" I still aim to win even if I'm slower than other Open B riders. But I don't put a focus on it. It's your first race, it's going to be brutal, but the idea is to have "fun". 

I'd start drinking water 3-4 days before the event. I normally drink 1 gallon a day to begin with, however pre-race I drink about 1.5 gallons. The morning of the race I'd avoid drinking more than 1 liter of any fluids. If you screwed up hydrating before the big day, no amount of water the day of will fix that. So drink just enough that you don't feel thirsty. Make sure to hit the tree line or porta potty 10-20 minutes before you are suppose to line up. Once you are riding and fully focused you should be able to finish without issue. 

• Like 3

Are you doing it on an XR200? Asking that due to your user name. I did my first hare scramble race this past April on my XR400. My main goal was to just ride my own pace and have fun. I only crashed once and had a great time!

• Like 2

I'll be racing that one too. Walking the entire track will take a long time and use a lot of energy that you will need for the race itself. The last track for this series was just under 10 miles long. I just take what ever is thrown at me as it comes. The pre-race jitters are part of the experience. It hasn't gone away for me after 15 years of racing and I don't think it ever will. WEXCR is one of the best series I've been a part of since District 11 pretty much died in this area.

Edited by xcbuckeyeguy
  • Like 2

Are you doing it on an XR200? Asking that due to your user name. I did my first hare scramble race this past April on my XR400. My main goal was to just ride my own pace and have fun. I only crashed once and had a great time!

Nope I'm doing it on my drz400

I'll be racing that one too. Walking the entire track will take a long time and use a lot of energy that you will need for the race itself. The last track was just under 10 miles long. I just take what ever is thrown at me as it comes. The pre-race jitters are part of the experience. It hasn't gone away for me after a 15 years of racing and I don't think it ever will. WEXCR is one of the best series I've been a part of since District 11 pretty much died in this area.

Awesome! If you see me I'll be on a drz400 with rockstar Suzuki graphics. What class are you racing in?

You'll be just fine.  Just eat a decent breakfast and drink water before and during.  Don't try to "overthink" it.  Just go out and do it.  It was funny as I was all worried my first time and did tons of research and preparation...my buddy came at the last minute with little preparation, any idea of how it worked, and never seen a hare scramble track before and he beat me by several places (of course he is a much faster rider).  But my point is don't overthink it.  When you get out there, all that preparation kind of goes out the door and you just get into "race mode" and go.

• Like 1

Good luck man! Go have fun. If your only expectation is to finish and have fun... Chances are good you will succeed.

• Like 1

Here in Missouri most of our harescramble series have a practice ride before the races start that day. Just ride that to help find trouble spots ,bottleneck areas,etc. I did the +45 class on my old KLX 450 and still got a few jitters. I have a YZ 125 now and haven't wanted to do any races this year. Sure is a fun little bike. Good luck in your first event.

• Like 1

Awesome! If you see me I'll be on a drz400 with rockstar Suzuki graphics. What class are you racing in?

I'll be riding Vet B 30+

Hope you are in good shape or don't put the bike on the ground I raced a drz 400 in a few Hillbilly GP Harescramble and that is a monster bike to race if you have to pick it up a few times that will kick your a$$ it did me anyway lol but then again the bike outweighed me by 100 + lbs. ha ha but the best advice I could give is ride your ride don't worry about winning at least in the first one some said the practice lap that is great idea and a good breakfast early getting all the morning work out of the way (taking a dump) lol then you don't have to worry about that and last stay calm conserve energy you will need it at the end of the race ! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Here in Missouri most of our harescramble series have a practice ride before the races start that day.

I've never seen that format around here. We don't know what's out there until we get to it. At the start line the organizer will give a brief description of the track layout and trouble spots. I think they let the minis do a parade lap, but not the big bikes.

• Like 1

I agree with 95Jersey.  Also, just have fun.  Don't be in a hurry.  Slow down to go faster!  Relax!  I like to eat 3 slices of cold pizza before the race.

• Like 1

My first hare scramble coming up is June 15th in the WEXCR series (great series by the way). I plan to walk the track before the race because I don't like surprises and I'm not gonna lie I'm a little nervous. Anybody have any tips for the morning of the race? How much to eat or drink? How to control pre race nerves? I've got a 2 liter hydration pack and all the necessary gear to stay alive haha. Oh I almost forgot, what are the odds that I'll have to take a huge dump during this race?! Hahaha that's my biggest fear, rather than crashing and getting hurt I'm scared I'll have to take the Browns to the Super Bowl! Wish me luck fellas, I'll try to take the GoPro with me and get some footage!

I've been racing on and off since 2005, nothing will rid you of the butterflies!!

Enduros have rest stops, and I always bring paper so I can unload if I have to.  Be prepared.

Hydrate well during the week, don't drink much alcohol.  Ride your ride, and have fun! 

• Like 3

I agree that walking the track would be a waste of time and energy It will change a little every lap anyway.

Just take your time, this being your first,just ride it like it was a trailride and enjoy it. I know for me I'm always a slow 

starter, even on a trail ride and it takes me a little bit to get a comfortable pace.

• Like 2

Enduros have rest stops, and I always bring paper so I can unload if I have to.  Be prepared.

Thanks, I almost forgot to pack that.  I have an Enduro this weekend.

One thing you'll learn racing is how fast you are capable of going.  Before racing I thought I could go faster then I really am able to for more then a couple minutes.  It's just like a trail ride only you don't go in a line.  You try and pass people.

• Like 2

Be safe & don’t outride your skill. the tree always wins! so If you get tired then slow down. your endurance will increase in time

Edited by AXAxiom
  • Like 3