Just picked up a new to me 2012 kx250f

As the title says

I am wondering if there is anything that I should know about it

I put an hour meter on it and am planning to change oil and filter between 15 and 20 hours and clean the air filter every 2 rides

It's a little too tall for me if I go flat foot on one side my foot is about 3 inches off the ground on the other

I'm getting the fork seals done at the dealer right now and they should be back tomorrow

Thanks for the help

Choice bike. I got a new 2010 CRF450R and it is great, no problems. Seeing as yours is 2012 it should be fine. You don't need to change the air filter every 2 rides. Just keep looking and if it gets dirty do a change. If you do it every 2nd ride, it becomes to tedious, and just be careful about what you wash it in. If you wash it in kerosine, it might degrade the filter if you do it to often.  :ride:

It's a little too tall for me if I go flat foot on one side my foot is about 3 inches off the ground on the other

Congrats,

I too wonder if the Japanese are getting taller or what?

Seems most bikes are being built for taller people.

You don't need to change the air filter every 2 rides. Just keep looking and if it gets dirty do a change. If you do it every 2nd ride, it becomes to tedious, and just be careful about what you wash it in. If you wash it in kerosine, it might degrade the filter if you do it to often. :ride:

I ride in the tailings of a gold mine usually and it's all sand so I like to make sure nothing gets through and I use mineral spirits to clean mine

• Like 1

Fantastic bikes, loving mine to bits.

Oil change 5 hours, oil + filter at 10 hours is what I do.   Air filter as needed, but I'm usually fussy and while its out when Im washing the bike, I clean and re oil, better to be safe than ruin a engine.

Have a play with fork heights and sag settings and you can make them handle pretty nice, while still being stable in rough terrain at speed.

Choice bike. I got a new 2010 CRF450R and it is great, no problems. Seeing as yours is 2012 it should be fine. You don't need to change the air filter every 2 rides. Just keep looking and if it gets dirty do a change. If you do it every 2nd ride, it becomes to tedious, and just be careful about what you wash it in. If you wash it in kerosine, it might degrade the filter if you do it to often.  :ride:

He said clean the air filter every 2 rides, not change it. You are right, its not necessary to change the air filter that often, but it is necessary to clean it at least every other ride. It is a simple task that if ignored can lead to catastrophic engine failure.

Also, to the OP, paint thinner is not the best thing to be cleaning your air filter with.

Edited by KTMforlife

He said clean the air filter every 2 rides, not change it. You are right, its not necessary to change the air filter that often, but it is necessary to clean it at least every other ride. It is a simple task that if ignored can lead to catastrophic engine failure.

Thats what I meant, you don't need to clean it every 2 rides. I guess it depends on how long you ride and where it is though. 

• Like 1

Thats what I meant, you don't need to clean it every 2 rides. I guess it depends on how long you ride and where it is though. 

Yeah if you dont ride in a dusty area then you wouldn't have to clean it that often. It is dusty 100% of the time where i live though.

As the title says

I am wondering if there is anything that I should know about it

I put an hour meter on it and am planning to change oil and filter between 15 and 20 hours and clean the air filter every 2 rides

I'm getting the fork seals done at the dealer right now and they should be back tomorrow

Thanks for the help

Nice bikes. I Definetlely wouldn't go 15 hours on oil and filter. In my '13 yz250f, oil and filter gets done every 3-4 hours. Air filter every ride. Rather be safe than sorry. Most of the time after a moto or sand pit ride my filter is ready to be changed anyway. I've got 4 in the trailer ready to go so it isn't a big deal. Edited by cgirouard423

Good bike got an 11 myself.  U can always get a PC Lowering linkage.  I have a ride engineering linkage it made my bike pretty low.  You can drop the forks in the triple clamps, also use a raspy file and shave that seat if needed.  I'm 6'3", 185lbs,  I just picked up my 11 lowrider and want to get it up to size already.  I do know quite a few guys who have the Pro Circuit lowering linkage, big and small. Guess it helps out the kawi in many ways, traction, stability, ergo's, etc...

We'll had it out today bike is ticking more than a clock I'm guessing that the valves are out of spec so I'm taking it in tomorrow

Just check em yourself its rather easy and will take about 15min.