Sign in to follow this  

WR250F as a dual sport?

I have the opportunity to buy an 04 WR 250F with an athena 290 big bore kit. I am just wondering if anybody has any experience dual sporting a 250f? I am mostly going to use it to go back and forth between my apartment and campus. I would like to be able to take off and ride wherever I want to for several hours at a time as well. The thing is, i'm not sure if a 290 has the power to run 65 mph down the highway without revving to the moon constantly. I know i can gear it up, but I dont want to be shifting every time I go up a hill. 

I would be getting a very good deal on the bike is the only reason I am considering it. I want a 450 EXC but for a third of the price, i can probably deal with the 290.

Edited by KTMforlife

I have the opportunity to buy an 04 WR 250F with an athena 290 big bore kit. I am just wondering if anybody has any experience dual sporting a 250f? I am mostly going to use it to go back and forth between my apartment and campus. I would like to be able to take off and ride wherever I want to for several hours at a time as well. The thing is, i'm not sure if a 290 has the power to run 65 mph down the highway without revving to the moon constantly. I know i can gear it up, but I dont want to be shifting every time I go up a hill.

I would be getting a very good deal on the bike is the only reason I am considering it. I want a 450 EXC but for a third of the price, i can probably deal with the 290.

Both are good bikes.

I've seen a bunch of people using a wr for dual sport.

I don't think 65 down the highway with a 250/290 would be much fun for any period of time. Didn't think it was much fun on my WR450. Others may feel differently.

Mike

• Like 2

I don't think 65 down the highway with a 250/290 would be much fun for any period of time. Didn't think it was much fun on my WR450. Others may feel differently.

Mike

It can be done, just won't be fun.
  • Like 2

Thats what I'm afraid of. I'll probably buy it anyway just because it's cheap.

I can relate to that. If you buy it cheap enough, you can upgrade latter with little or no loss. Done it several times.

Mike

I have an 01 and dual sported it so I could ride to trails.  The earlier ones had a taller 5th gear and do a little better on the highway.  Not sure of the cut off year for that.  Mine spins 8850 at 60.  I've ridden it 25 miles on the highway many times with no problem.  I don't think WRFs would make a great commuter bike.  They just don't want to run smoothly at lower speeds on the street, it's just their nature.  And the header will glow red when you sit at a light, which was pointed out to me by a car driver one night.  

I have a WR450F also which makes a better dual sport, at least on the highway, as the engine speed is considerably lower.  

I have an 01 and dual sported it so I could ride to trails.  The earlier ones had a taller 5th gear and do a little better on the highway.  Not sure of the cut off year for that.  Mine spins 8850 at 60.  I've ridden it 25 miles on the highway many times with no problem.  I don't think WRFs would make a great commuter bike.  They just don't want to run smoothly at lower speeds on the street, it's just their nature.  And the header will glow red when you sit at a light, which was pointed out to me by a car driver one night.  

I have a WR450F also which makes a better dual sport, at least on the highway, as the engine speed is considerably lower.  

Do you have stock size sprockets or did you regear? Does it ever overheat driving through town or just run poorly?

Do you have stock size sprockets or did you regear? Does it ever overheat driving through town or just run poorly?

Stock gearing.  It's a small town with only 3 lights and I can be out of town in 5 minutes.  It has never overheated and runs fine.  WRs just don't want to run smoothly at about 20 on pavement.  

Stock gearing.  It's a small town with only 3 lights and I can be out of town in 5 minutes.  It has never overheated and runs fine.  WRs just don't want to run smoothly at about 20 on pavement.  

:thinking:  Well that's good to know. I guess I could always just use it for a play bike if i don't feel like it would make a good dual sport once i ride it.

Also, do you know anything about a YZ exhaust cam mod? I've heard that can really wake them up, but i'm not too sure if i can trust my source haha

Edited by KTMforlife

Don't know about the newer ones, but my '06 and others of that era had a problem at any steady throttle with surging/stumble. They were meant to be ridden off road. HARD!

Mike

:thinking:  Well that's good to know. I guess I could always just use it for a play bike if i don't feel like it would make a good dual sport once i ride it.

Also, do you know anything about a YZ exhaust cam mod? I've heard that can really wake them up, but i'm not too sure if i can trust my source haha

It makes a big difference.  You can grind one mm off the decomp pin and retard the cam a tooth.  Some loss of low end grunt with a big boost on top.  But better to get a YZ cam or Hotcams.  

I have a 2006 WR 250F that I just recently got plated. I don't think you can realistically plan to cruise at 65 mph with a 250F. With stock gearing mine cruises at 45 but I don't plan to take it on the highway, just local streets and dirt roads. If you geared it up you could cruise at 50 or so.

wr250f.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 2006 WR 250F that I just recently got plated. I don't think you can realistically plan to cruise at 65 mph with a 250F. With stock gearing mine cruises at 45 but I don't plan to take it on the highway, just local streets and dirt roads. If you geared it up you could cruise at 50 or so.

I've heard of people swapping the early gearbox into later bikes to get the wider ratios and higher 5th gear.  Mine cruises at 65 and I've had it to 82. 

• Like 1

Hey KTM,

I've got a '76 XL350 I'll trade you for the WR... lol 

It's already street legal and you don't have to re-gear it.

My 04 WR is one of my best running DIRT bikes with the JD jet kit in it.

Get a street bike for street... please.... don't make me cry.

I have an 03 wr250f that i plated and drive around neighborhood ... it's content at 35 to 40. but 50 to 55 is to revvy.. (top speed is 76 gps gauged). runnin stock 13/52 sprockets. I wanna go to 49 in the rear to lower rpms but a little concerned about losing low first gear low speed hard terrain trailing. I really wish I had that 6 th gear and might go to. a wr250r in the future. Love the bike tho and really came alive after grey wire and free mods!

My 08 WR250F is plated. I hate riding it on road. But plated is needed to ride some places and get to trail heads sometimes. It is not a happy camper on the road over 50.

My 08 WR250F is plated. I hate riding it on road. But plated is needed to ride some places and get to trail heads sometimes. It is not a happy camper on the road over 50.

Maybe I better not sell my 01.  There must be a big difference in the gearbox between the years.  Cruising at 65 is not a problem. 

My 09 is plated. I have it geared a bit taller than stock, but anything over 50 mph isn't good. I put a YZ pipe on it, and did all the usual stuff to uncork it and it runs great. This bike should have come factory with a plate. I'd rather ride a 450 on the road, but I prefer the 250 in the woods.

9BFE6664-538C-458B-AC58-C4FDB80C23D8_zps

• Like 1

Hola guys. I have a new WR250F , 2014, I live in the Andes, 8500 feet or 2600 meters high. The bike is awesome even in this height. I am planning to use mainly for pure enduro, however I am also planing to use a it a a dual sport, as many routes require paved Highway and towns, and to bring along a trailer is just a pain.

Here in Colombia many pilots use the WR250F as a dual sport. They change the rear sproket for a smaller size and some times a bigger front sproket. Also, they add flashers and mirrors and license plate. Some guys even transform them in to an X model, with a 17" front tire and sometimes a 17" rear.

It's seems OK. I would like to hear more of you guys and your experiences.

I am planning to run the maintainence schedule of the wr250R, because I do not really compete, I am just a recreational user of the bike. Are they (F vs. R) very different in engine specs?

So, what do you think?