Runs only with choke on?

Just got a 05 ttr230...wouldnt even try to start when i first got it, but after i cleaned the carb it acted like it wanted to....for me to get it running i have to pull the choke and take the seat off and hold my hand over the intake, and crank it untill it starts....once i get it running a while, i can turn it off and crank it back up with no problem...but the choke has to be out the whole time...any suggestions?  P/s-even when i get it warmed up once i go to push the choke in, it cuts off immediately

Edited by dirtbreed

Took the pilot jet out and everything looks clean...push air threw the air intake port and got air comming out the pilot jet port and visa versa..how can u tell if you need a new pilot port?

I would just get a new pilot jet, they are not expensive. Plus, they are finicky beasts and sometimes just a small amount of gas varnish can cause loads of problems like you describe.

I have wasted hours on cleaning and re-installs only to end up simply buying a new one and problem was solved. :banghead:

Got the #38 pilot jet in today...so today I installed it and removed the plug to the pilot mix pin...and adjusted it to 1.0 turns out....I can now idle without the choke...I would like to thank Yzetc and chaconne, really appreciate the help and looking forward to future help...thanks guys

Got the #38 pilot jet in today...so today I installed it and removed the plug to the pilot mix pin...and adjusted it to 1.0 turns out....I can now idle without the choke...I would like to thank Yzetc and chaconne, really appreciate the help and looking forward to future help...thanks guys

Most excellent happy riding. :ride:

• 4 weeks later...

you don't still happen to have those part numbers for the jets? I bought mine and the pilot #38 was too big. mine is a 2012 ttr230 and is doing the same after 30 min or so is heavy overheating and dyeing I also have a very loud ticking noise I think that the valves are outa spec but what my service Manuel shows on my bike and whats actually on my bike don't line up

• 2 weeks later...