Sign in to follow this  

what is a 2001 KTM 200 exc

So I had something horrible happen 2 years ago and was so mad I didn't even want to look at it. Well I am finally over it and need to fix this. I need a new engine for my 2001 200 exc however I can not find one:( therefore I been trying to figure out which engine is the same in a different year. If u guys could help that would be awesome. I can't seem to figure it out.... Please ask questions if u need more info. I basicly damaged the case and while riding the oil drained out and I think it locked up the crank.

So I had something horrible happen 2 years ago and was so mad I didn't even want to look at it. Well I am finally over it and need to fix this. I need a new engine for my 2001 200 exc however I can not find one:( therefore I been trying to figure out which engine is the same in a different year. If u guys could help that would be awesome. I can't seem to figure it out.... Please ask questions if u need more info. I basicly damaged the case and while riding the oil drained out and I think it locked up the crank.

As far as I know any KTM 200 or 125 engine should fit.

• Like 1

Why not fix the engine you have?  Is the case too badly damaged?  Unless the case is seriously fragged, fixing the old engine will most likely be less expensive than getting a decent replacement.  Now, if it's worth spending $1,500 to $2,000 on a '01 200 EXC, only you can decide that.

They did change the swing arm pivot to a larger diameter in 2004.

• Like 1

Well its not fixable. Sadly it is broke where a screw is. Right on the drain plug. I wouldn't want to go down to a 125cc bike at all. But I have seen other 200 engines for sale at $500. But they are 2002-2005. Not sure if they would fit

Like I said in the previous post, measure your swingarm pivot hole that goes through the cases. 04 went to a bigger diameter and if you get a 2004 or newer motor you will be changing out a lot more than the motor to make it work.

Sorry to be pedantic but the oil in a KTM 2-stroke only lubricates the transmission and clutch, not the crank.  So, losing the oil should have nothing to do with the crank locking up.  If it's just the drain plug hole that' stripped, it can easily be fixed or you can epoxy it closed and just drain the oil through the clutch cover. Not saying the crank isn't seized but it wasn't losing the oil that caused it.

Sorry to be pedantic but the oil in a KTM 2-stroke only lubricates the transmission and clutch, not the crank.  So, losing the oil should have nothing to do with the crank locking up.  If it's just the drain plug hole that' stripped, it can easily be fixed or you can epoxy it closed and just drain the oil through the clutch cover. Not saying the crank isn't seized but it wasn't losing the oil that caused it.

I interpreted what he wrote as the cases were damaged (smashed by a rock etc) where the drain bolt is. Thats a good effort.

If it was ridden unknowingly without gear oil its entirely possible for a gearbox lock up no?

Chances are everything in there would need replacing anyway if the box locked up, hence the engine (or starting again with another 200) is the best bet.

Edit: spelling

Edited by BushPig

It's ruined and you should part it out completely and then buy another bike, I'll take the stock expansion chamber if it's in good condition please.

I guess I should start by pulling the engine and seeing what is really the cause. I am not sure yet. I was driving hand started to hear some tinking. Then I stopped thinking it was skid plate but wasnt . I kick started it and still heard tinking. After I stopped it the second time the kick starter was locked. I could be totally wrong with the crank and maybe its just a pistion ring jammed in the cylender. But that wouldn't have to do with the oil leak. Maybe it was jus bad luck that it happed as same time I noticed the oil leak

Certainly could be clutch basket, kickstart idler gear or any gear in the transmission.  A broken tooth or other fragment could lodge anywhere and lock things up.  Might be relatively simple or could be very expensive.  Won't know til you get inside.  I'd pull the clutch cover to see if there is anything obvious then go from there.  

• Like 2