Sign in to follow this  

KTM 200 EXC questions. General maintenance.

Hey guys I've just bought myself a KTM 200 EXC 2008 model. So far I love this bike more than any of my other bikes! However I have a few basic questions for you more experienced guys out there :)

1.) how often should the top end be replaced?

2.) how often should the bottom end be replaced?

3.) what premix oil is good for these bikes?

4.) what's the best spark plug for this bike?

5.) does running the bike with a bad top end ruin the cylinder or bottom end?

At the moment I can hear a little knocking noise coming from the cylinder, I think it's due for a top end? However it starts cold first kick everytime without choke and hasn't fowled any plugs? And still goes like a bat outta hell!

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you guys have to offer! Happy riding :)

Edited by timmah666

A whiney rattle sound is normal for a 2 stroke , I do top ends 50 hrs. or less , some go longer. Bottom end approximately every 3rd top end , i use full synthetic premix and a NGK or Denso , Denso is cheaper . Buy a service manual for your bike it's worth every penny , there should be a routine maintenance checklist in it . 

• Like 1

It's more of a tapping sound. Only does it at idle too, when I lift the revs abit the noise is gone. I'd assume its due for a top end as the previous owner said he owned it for a year without a top end -.- however it starts ridiculously easy and runs great. So I'm not sure? Maybe I should just do it anyway. And I'll get some Ngk plugs for it :) thanks very much for the reply.

• Like 1

It's more of a tapping sound. Only does it at idle too, when I lift the revs abit the noise is gone. I'd assume its due for a top end as the previous owner said he owned it for a year without a top end -.- however it starts ridiculously easy and runs great. So I'm not sure? Maybe I should just do it anyway. And I'll get some Ngk plugs for it :) thanks very much for the reply.

Im pretty sure that sound is normal, there is no harm in doing a new top end anyway though and it is recommended in 2nd hand bikes

• Like 1

You may as well do a top end, it'll only cost you a few hundred and some time.

It will give a definite knowledge everything is alright in there :thumbsup:

They are great bikes, I'm doing top ends every 50, could go more.

top end depends upon so many things, like did the bike always have enuf oil in the fuel, did the air cleaner always get cleaned, was it jetted too lean, was it raced and at high revs all the time, etc. For me on my 200s I did not race, I always did all the maintenance like I should, it was jetted right. I did top ends at 100 hrs or so and never had to do a bottom in any of the 3 I had and they were all used when I got them. A clutch in a couple of them and power valves cleaned when doing top end.

• Like 1

What ratio do you guys recommend for the fuel mix? It's a dual sport so it does alot of high revving on the road. About 50% bush 50% road.

What ratio do you guys recommend for the fuel mix? It's a dual sport so it does alot of high revving on the road. About 50% bush 50% road.

I use 40:1, running motul flash stuff.

Whatever you use, make sure its jetted to suit.

The previous owner said he always used the motul stuff and mixed it at 60:1 which seems abit lean for high revving on the road? Maybe ill try 40:1 and see how that goes

The previous owner said he always used the motul stuff and mixed it at 60:1 which seems abit lean for high revving on the road? Maybe ill try 40:1 and see how that goes

if you run a 40:1 you are going to have to rejett

I mix 3 oz per gal which is about 44-1. I do it cuz its easy to measure vs others. One gal gas, 3 oz oil. I think it makes it easier when only putting in partial amounts of gas in the tank and having to figure the oil, like on a long ride and you stop at a fuel station for instance.