Sign in to follow this  

XR440 Mikuni TM36 Carb Settings

Hello all, I have just bought a second hand mikuni tm36 carb for my xr440 (big bore kit)

It was running fine on the previous owners xr400 but I was wondering if anyone knows of improved jetting settings for my 440. I was also thinking of getting an service kit whilst I was changing the jets.

It has been running ok but pops a bit on deceleration (might be a poor join to the standard header pipes) Also a pain to start and surges at a steady 30mph

The bike is being run at sea level in the uk and it has a standard CAM with an aftermarket exhaust.

Thanks for any help

What's in it now?

On my stock motor, I run the 15/130 combo that XR's only sends them with and have had no issues. Bigger bore will change the intake signature and throw things off a touch but find out what is in there now.

If it's mainly a decel pop and a slight surge, try turning the fuel screw out a 1/4 turn and see if that helps for now. Also make sure the screw for the AP is all the way down, making the arm hit the AP as late as possible.

+1. What Mich said.

I run the TM 36 on my 440. 130/15 jetting and runs great at 3600' elevation. I run a UNI filter, snorkle removed and Gordon modded exhaust.

The Mikuni should start cold with just the choke and no throttle input, given you don't run a super low idle. But unlike the stock carb, it will also respond to wicking the throttle open at the bottom of your kick.

Definitely check for air leaks. Be sure the o ring between the intake manifold and head is in good shape. That thing is a sore spot if its not sealing. Otherwise, come out on the fuel screw. I also suggest replacing the stock fuel screw with one you can actually get your fingers on.

Then there's the possibility, the carb has other issues and that's why it was sold.

Edited by Trailryder42