Sign in to follow this  

moving to a 2 stroke from a 4 stroke

So I just sold my 250 sxf and in the market for a new mx bike. I'm middle aged and have been riding mx only a year or so. I'm not fast, novice to intermediate but love it and want to do it more. I've never ridden a 2 stroke mx bike; came from a crf250 to the sxf but I have grown up riding only 2 strokes and was always more comfortable on them in my youth. RD350 LC, TS200 (on/off road), NS400R, etc.

So my question is; will the 250 sx stroker be too much for me to handle? I ride a very tight track and barely get out of 3rd gear on the sxf. I'm used to clutching a lot from old youth habits and the 4 stroke doesn't like this. Another bonus is I'm assuming the stroker will be much easier to maintain. I'm sick of all the valve adjustment and starting issues (on the crf).

Has anyone made a transition from 4 to 2 and loved it?

• Like 1

So I just sold my 250 sxf and in the market for a new mx bike. I'm middle aged and have been riding mx only a year or so. I'm not fast, novice to intermediate but love it and want to do it more. I've never ridden a 2 stroke mx bike; came from a crf250 to the sxf but I have grown up riding only 2 strokes and was always more comfortable on them in my youth. RD350 LC, TS200 (on/off road), NS400R, etc.

So my question is; will the 250 sx stroker be too much for me to handle? I ride a very tight track and barely get out of 3rd gear on the sxf. I'm used to clutching a lot from old youth habits and the 4 stroke doesn't like this. Another bonus is I'm assuming the stroker will be much easier to maintain. I'm sick of all the valve adjustment and starting issues (on the crf).

Has anyone made a transition from 4 to 2 and loved it?

I much prefer a 2 stroke. The maintenance is easier on a 2 stroke, maybe not less maintenance but easier.

Sounds like we could convert you to a 200 very easily.

I've always rode 4t and recently made the switch to a KTM 300 and I'm in love. The bike will lug down low like a 4t but rev like a 2t when you need the power. It's lighter than the 4t and you can adjust the power valve change the rpm the power valve will open.

• Like 1

So all the scary stories I hear about strokers being mad and wanting to kill you, unpredictable power deliver, wild delivery ain't true? It's easy to adapt from a thumper to a stroker? I'm purely going to use it for mx. Adapting to. The stroker on jumps, corner entry, exit not a big problem? Also I keep hearing strokers tire one out a lot. It's all a myth?

• Like 1

2 st will vibrate and buz the bars and pegs nmore, so if on it for hours like trail riding then you will feel the hands tingle, but it wont kill you. The motors are much more tuneable and smoother than the old days

• Like 1

I don't ride long, 20 min sessions max. Races also won't last for more than 20 minutes. So this isn't an issue. But I'm fairly large, 6' and 240 ish in gear. Will that be a problem?

Any bike larger than a 125 shouldnt have a problem.

I missed the bit about you riding MX, but I think a 250sx could work great. If you are allowed to in your class you could perhaps do a 300 conversion for more torque.

Any bike larger than a 125 shouldnt have a problem.

I missed the bit about you riding MX, but I think a 250sx could work great. If you are allowed to in your class you could perhaps do a 300 conversion for more torque.

250 will be more than enough for my skill level I think. Later I can bump up to the big bore kit maybe?

On another note; Dunno why there are 2 threads of the same topic. Anyway posting this here too.

Will a 300 or 250 xc/exc work for me for mx. The reason being I can put some lights on it and plate it for the road. So I can ride it for short trips here and there and also the value goes up when I want to sell it. A pure mx stroker will be hard to resell, and enduro will be easier.

Considering I'm 240+ in gear I'll have to get the suspension resprung anyway for either the sx or xc or exc. And since I'm still a novice/intermediate in mx; will the xc/exc make more sense as they may be a little tamer?

From what I've read, the difference between the full blown MX and the enduro bikes are 18" rear (I can always fit a 19 to it), softer suspension (can be dialled in with stiffer springs?) and different gearing (not sure about this). So what do you say, pure mx bike or enduro for mx?

250 will be more than enough for my skill level I think. Later I can bump up to the big bore kit maybe?

On another note; Dunno why there are 2 threads of the same topic. Anyway posting this here too.

Will a 300 or 250 xc/exc work for me for mx. The reason being I can put some lights on it and plate it for the road. So I can ride it for short trips here and there and also the value goes up when I want to sell it. A pure mx stroker will be hard to resell, and enduro will be easier.

Considering I'm 240+ in gear I'll have to get the suspension resprung anyway for either the sx or xc or exc. And since I'm still a novice/intermediate in mx; will the xc/exc make more sense as they may be a little tamer?

From what I've read, the difference between the full blown MX and the enduro bikes are 18" rear (I can always fit a 19 to it), softer suspension (can be dialled in with stiffer springs?) and different gearing (not sure about this). So what do you say, pure mx bike or enduro for mx?

I rode my EXC on a moto track and just putting its fine. But when you try to up the pace, the WR gearbox can be too low or too high in between gears around some of the corners. Although gearing it down could help.

I did beat guys on MX bikes though.

EXC suspension is SOFT, it suits me and I'm 130 pounds. haha.

For racing with no size restriction, I'd probably start with a 250sx, add a 300 cylinder and 300exc ignition and go from there.

Why a 300exc ignition? The 300 is a beast but its not fast because its a uncontrollable power beast, its fast because it has huge torque that hooks up and monsters the back wheel at the same time.

The EXC ignitions calm things down a bit and makes it all smooooooth.

For general riding you can't go past an EXC.

you can always get an XC and put a lighting kit on it to make it legal for the road. That's what i'm going to do to my 14 300xc. I bought the sicass kit with the OEM KTM headlight

You stated that your mission is essentially MX only. Trying to add in a supplemental benefit of being able to ride street will degrade your Moto experience most likely more than its worth. An SX version seems like the best logical choice.

As for resale, I don't think your line of thinking carries much merit. Resale is not likely to be difficult whatever direction you choose.

You have a tough choice IMO. If you were sub 200lbs the 150 would seem to be a very strong consideration and still could be depending on your riding level, style, mission etc...though the 250 may be best to haul you around the circuit. If you have a chance, attend a KTM demo day and ride them all.

It's too bad KTM doesn't make a 200 motocross or XC Version. I can't help but think this would be exactly what you are looking for.

• Like 1

KTM only sells small commuter bikes here in India so no chance of test rides :naughty:  All the mx races and events here are dominated by 4 strokes, the only 2 storkes we see are the old beat up 90s and early 2000s, basically riders who can't afford to blow up 10 to 15 k dollars on the latest 4 strokes. That's why there may be no resale market for a new expensive stroker and the general conception here is strokers are demons and really hard to ride so no one wants them. The only market for them may be the rally riders that's why I was looking at the XC/EXC route.

But you are right, I'd be blowing up more money to buy it and it would end up being a compromise. I think I'll stick with the 250 sx.

What's the best dealers are offering the 2014s for? I've been checking out 3bros. $7199 for a 2014.

If you want a top self cheap smoker nothing beats the 2006 and up YZ250 unless your dropping serious coin on a 2013 250sx

The YZ is cheap as chips on parts and has the best forks in the business is a little dwn on power up against a 250sx but nothing a FMF PIPE and port work to the cylinder will sort ya out a proply diled YZ will be a prime racer

If your gonna buy new the KTM wins hands dwn but if you wanna save 4g and be just as competitive a couple year old YZ250 is the go and the money you save you can throw into and turn it into a real weapon but if money's not a issue the kato is king of the 2 strokes hence why I've got a 2013 300exc fully tricked

Edited by munted_fox

If your racing MX, the KTM 250SX will be your weapon of choice.  Will it be more powerful / explosive than your previous bike... YES!!!  Is the power uncontrollable...  NO, not at all...  KTM's have two map setting, standard and soft.  The soft dials down the power a bit.  They also have an adjustable power valve.  The power valve helps to control the 2 stroke "hit"  You can tune the power like the pro's will a huge hit all the power at the upper end of the RPM range or as most of us mere mortals, a smooth almost linear power curve from the bottom to the top. There are three power valve springs, as well as fine tuning the spring tension to get the power to where you like it.  It's easy to switch springs, and to adjust the tension.  I've taken the time to test and set mine where I like it...  others that have ridden my bike thinks it comes on to fast, while others think the power need to come on sooner...  I set it for my riding style...  This is where IMO KTM shines.  You can adjust the power to suit your riding style.  When your style and or conditions change, it can be quickly adjusted to adapt.

• Like 2

Yeah I really want the 250 sx now. Just working out the logistics of importing it. All the powervalve springs come along with the bike or need to be purchased separately? I had a map switch on my sxf, same thing with this? Buy a map switch separately or change maps using jumpers?

The power valve springs should come with the bike, the map switch does not. In stock form you must unplug a wire to switch from one map setting to another. Most ridders purchase a switch and mount it on the handle bars