Sign in to follow this  

moving to a 2 stroke from a 4 stroke

So I just sold my 250 sxf and in the market for a new mx bike. I'm middle aged and have been riding mx only a year or so. I'm not fast, novice to intermediate but love it and want to do it more. I've never ridden a 2 stroke mx bike; came from a crf250 to the sxf but I have grown up riding only 2 strokes and was always more comfortable on them in my youth. RD350 LC, TS200 (on/off road), NS400R, etc.

So my question is; will the 250 sx stroker be too much for me to handle? I ride a very tight track and barely get out of 3rd gear on the sxf. I'm used to clutching a lot from old youth habits and the 4 stroke doesn't like this. Another bonus is I'm assuming the stroker will be much easier to maintain. I'm sick of all the valve adjustment and starting issues (on the crf).

Has anyone made a transition from 4 to 2 and loved it?

So I just sold my 250 sxf and in the market for a new mx bike. I'm middle aged and have been riding mx only a year or so. I'm not fast, novice to intermediate but love it and want to do it more. I've never ridden a 2 stroke mx bike; came from a crf250 to the sxf but I have grown up riding only 2 strokes and was always more comfortable on them in my youth. RD350 LC, TS200 (on/off road), NS400R, etc.

So my question is; will the 250 sx stroker be too much for me to handle? I ride a very tight track and barely get out of 3rd gear on the sxf. I'm used to clutching a lot from old youth habits and the 4 stroke doesn't like this. Another bonus is I'm assuming the stroker will be much easier to maintain. I'm sick of all the valve adjustment and starting issues (on the crf).

Has anyone made a transition from 4 to 2 and loved it?

When I got back into riding at 38 (now 43, vet B rider) I had both 250 and 450 Honda CRF thumpers. Like you I had the same urge feeling to ride a 2 stroke again, so I purchased a KTM 150sx that I intended to use as play bike. From the very first day, it was overwhelming clear that I much preferred being on a 2 stroke for sheer fun factor, more in control I felt, and the less toll it took on my fitness. I only rode my 450's 1 more time after that day and immediately sold them thereafter and have never ever regretted it. I still jump on my buddies 4 strokes once in a while and I never have any desire to ride a 4 stroke on a normal basis. I do enjoy the occasional ride on a 250 4 stroke and someday may own one, but not to replace my 2 strokes by any means.

Now as for the 250sx, which I own as well. After loving my 150sx I figured I would want to race and sometimes use the additional power of the 250sx. I ride both bikes equally and I can say without a doubt that if I had to choose just 1 bike, I would choose my 150sx. If I raced and rode much more often, I would choose the 250. The difference is simply that the 250 is a dragon and has to be ridden with confidence and more respect and somedays that's just harder to do.

Simply, based on the information you offered...I recommend you consider the 150sx as I think that may be the experience you are seeking.

Wow. Thanks, that's really boosted my confidence. Another issue is I'm 6' and 240ish in gear. I thought about the 150 but felt it may be a wee bit small powerwise. I also need to consider the resale value here as importing the 250 or 150 here will hardly be any difference cost wise, only the 500-600 dollars of the price of bike. Freight, duties etc. Will be the same.

What are the prices dealers are offering on 2013 and 2014 250s and 150s strokers these days? Is there any major difference in both these model years? I'll also need to get them resprung for my weight I'm presuming?

Dunno why there are 2 threads of the same topic man. Anyway posting this here too.

Will a 300 or 250 xc/exc work for me for mx. The reason being I can put some lights on it and plate it for the road. So I can ride it for short trips here and there and also the value goes up when I want to sell it. A pure mx stroker will be hard to resell, and enduro will be easier.

Considering I'm 240+ in gear I'll have to get the suspension resprung anyway for either the sx or xc or exc. And since I'm still a novice/intermediate in mx; will the xc/exc make more sense as they may be a little tamer?

From what I've read, the difference between the full blown MX and the enduro bikes are 18" rear (I can always fit a 19 to it), softer suspension (can be dialled in with stiffer springs?) and different gearing (not sure about this). So what do you say, pure mx bike or enduro for mx?