Sign in to follow this  

Handguards

I bought some cheapish handguards from my dealer, they cost about $50 I think. I forget the brand. Nothing special, just some universal-mount ones. They do the job as far as protecting my hands from brush, but are totally worthless if the bike falls over, as I found out this weekend.

Saturday I was out riding, came across a gully and had a bad run across it. I had a poor line and lost balance halfway up the other side so I stopped the bike and laid it over on the right side. Approximately 0 mph "crash" lol. After that I had problems with the throttle sticking, the handguard was bent and its mounting hardware inside the handlebar end was interfering. I just paid close attention to my throttle and didn't have any trouble. (No problem with the gully, I got it on my second try.)

So yesterday I took it off, got it bent back into shape, went to re-mount it, and totally stripped out the threads on the mounting hardware clamps. They're cast aluminum! I wasn't even trying to tighten it yet! So currently I only have the left-side handguard mounted, the right-side one is toast. Would have been cheaper to just break and replace my brake lever than bother with these.

What should I replace it with? Preferably something that can survive a stationary fall and not bend up. I have stock handlebars though the grip ends have been hacked off to accommodate these handguards.

What should I replace it with? Preferably something that can survive a stationary fall and not bend up. I have stock handlebars though the grip ends have been hacked off to accommodate these handguards.

While these do cost more and I highly recommend new 1&1/8 contour bars from them as they come drilled for easy install. You can buy them in 7/8's if you do not want risers or adaptors. 

The HDB setup is simply the best you can buy when it comes to durability and overall toughness ...  :thumbsup:

I have only went down a few times and they did not even twist more than just a smack on the top would take care of just to get my mirrors back in line. 

They mount to a top plate that I believe makes them stronger and less likely to twist and they have pivots to help absorb impact or flex maybe ...  :excuseme:

post-327736-13943048118745.jpg

the folding mirrors are a big plus !!! they work very well and I love them ...  :thumbsup:

these are well worth every penny and will be the last time you will ever need buy them ... they really are that tuff. 

Base price is $150.00 then you add for bars or mirrors or anodizing etc .... 

post-327736-13943048667498.jpg

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

HG_00-1.jpg

Click for page ...  http://goo.gl/20QEYR

Edited by gnath9

Ever consider some cycra pro bends? They've been pretty solid in my experience with them when running the triple clamp mounts.

• Like 1

I have 1.6" risers currently, not sure if that matters. Anyway, looks like I have stuff to consider. It'll probably be a couple months before I get replacements. First I gotta save up some truck gas money that I'm not spending because I ride the CRF most of the time.

• Like 2

Risers do not make a differance--i have the 30mm risers and Zeta guards

Edited by USMCVietVet

Did you bend your bars ?  I have read they bend very easy and maybe that contributed to your bark busters bending ...  :excuseme:

Not that I've noticed. When it fell it landed directly on the corner of the handguard, which really didn't bend much at all. It wasn't even visible except for the stress marks in the plastic near the bend, and the fact that after I removed it the mounting hardware no longer lined up.

• Like 1

I have Zeta guards. Just low sided the bike this weekend in some gravel trails. The left hand guard rotated a bit around the bar but no significant damage. Held up very well all in all.

• Like 1

I have Zeta guards. Just low sided the bike this weekend in some gravel trails. The left hand guard rotated a bit around the bar but no significant damage. Held up very well all in all.

Have not "used " my Zeta's YET :facepalm: --glad to hear they did well tho-- :thumbsup: