Sign in to follow this  

Fitting a VFR ssa on an xr600...full write up w/pics

For about a year now, ive been riding on the street with this conversion to a vfr750 single sidedswingarm. Ive received many emails and PMs. I was on Wisecos facebook! The owner of ASV got me my levers personally. I used to work at Honda and all the bike cops know it. Ive even gotten notes on my bike! People from all over the world are curious. Its not for everyone but i changed nothing on the frame so stock form can be bolted right back on for some dual sport or dirt action.

I have my initial install write up on TT. This should be more thorough.

Its basically three parts. Swingarm, bolt,.and linkage.

First, get the swingarm to fit. I dont have themeasurement unfortunately, but i used a 95 vfr750 swingarm caused the closed triangle where the pivot bolt is. Newer generation VFRs have it open like a Y. Not much room to move over. So i measure the inside of the frame. Use tape but also slide the bolt in and use a sharpie and draw a line on the inside of the frame on the bolt...

CAM00495.jpgCAM00504.jpgCAM00505.jpgCAM00506.jpgCAM00507.jpg

Bolt length

CAM00503.jpg

So i measured frame hole to hole was 8 1/4". So from left to right. From outside spacer, i drew a line at 8/1/4". Roughly. I cut that chunk out. This chunk contains the bearing housing and two bearings. You need those bearings so cut this chunk as clean as you can. Once cut. File the swingarm til it fits perfectly. Then line up the first chunk on the right, trace it, now cut out the second chunk. Once cut, slide the first chunk into the second chunks spot and TIG weld. Better to leave some meat so you can slowly file to a perfect fit. Dry fit it, make sure so you just have to weld it. Cheaper that way too

Notes. Take the swingarm bolt with the sharpie lines to your welder. The holes must not warp or the bolt won't go through. And there will be a hole under the bearings from cutting and the way the swingarm curves...cut a little square to patch that out of the second chunk...

CAM00496.jpg

This is the spacer on the chain side. It bottoms out in the swingarm and protrudes about a half inch out so factor this in

CAM00498.jpgCAM00500.jpgCAM00501.jpg my patch is in red

CAM00502.jpgits imperative to keep the holes true.

Next is the bolt. The stock pivot bolt is the same as an xr250 so is used the tube that was inside my 250 swingarm. This had the ID of the pivot bollts OD and surprisingly, the OD of thw swingarm bearings ID. Following me so far? So i cut it down to 8 1/4". Now you need a spacer. Like the one between whhel bearings in a hub. The ID should be the 250 tubes OD and slide over that. Then the spacer. Fit all of this in the swingarm first, then install on frme.

CAM00508.jpg

CAM00510.jpgready to put in frame and slide bolt thru.

Tie up shock, grease bolt, and slide thru, put on nut.

CAM00511.jpg

Stock pivot bolt- 14mm thick x 9 9/16" long

Head 17mm, nut 21mm

Inner spacer. 25mm OD x 20mm ID

250 tube. 20mm OD x 14 mm ID

Now swingarm should be bolted and pivoting.

Lastly is the linkage...i used the vfr dog bone. And i made my own linkage out ofcardboard before i cut and welded the finished product from steel. Now im not that educated on proper angles. I worked with what i had and also made it like that to fit with the stock airbox.

I have shock upper bolt on. I lift swingarm up all the way and wire it. Now my lower shock bolt holes are exposed.

NOTE; i did drill out the threads in my lower shock bolt holes, then got a longer bolt, nuts and washers.

The dogbone is bolted to frame. I bolt my linkage to the shock lower, then swing the dogbone up and bolt that in. Then lower the swingarm to bolt the last bolt to the bottom of the swingarm.

If anyone has any linkage design ideas im all ears.

CAM00509.jpgCAM00512.jpgCAM00514.jpg

Last two things.

The VFR sprocket is a 530. You need to get a custom 520 sprocket made for the vfr hub. I had Vortex take care of me. Easy.

Chain alignment. It lined up pretty good at first. But i noticed some uneven sprocket wear, so i took off 1mm from the surface the sprocket bolts to. There is also a little lip thatll catch the sprockets ID. File that down.

The rear tire is offset to the right a inch or less. Have not ventured a way to fix that. Metal must be taken from somewhere to scoot the tire over. Also to do that without the tire rubbing the inside of the swingarm would be hard.

CAM00516.jpgCAM00515.jpg

CAM00513.jpgGalfer lines/rotor, EBC pads,new piston and seals, greased bearings

CAM00132.jpgCAM00421.jpg

All in all its a cool upgrade for the street. 170 tubeless michelin pilot road 3, dual piston rear caliper, cush hub. It does weigh more. And i dont consider this wise for supermoto or race apps. But i get alot of compliments. Looks. Inquiries. Some haters. I get the wannabe ducati hypermotard all the time. The older guys probably dont like it. But i like it. And i built it. So i hope this helps someone. Maybe itll be more direct

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

Kudos on your mod, but that thing looks like a complete mess. It needs some major finishing work then it might look pretty sweet.

My idea:

Drop the rear to level the seat, put a low slung street exhaust on it, put the side covers back on, get rid of that fuggly front fender and put the correct sport bike fender back on the forks, and put a stock XR650L fuel tank and wings on it or graft some NX650 type fairing on.

That thing does'nt look super-anything right now, it looks like a poorly made up transvestite.

After what you've already done, it would'nt be difficult to bring the look all the way home.

Thanks for the info on the swap.

Edited by Onederer

OK, at the very least it looks like a Chinese clone fo something.

Only proud mothers put something that ugly out for the world to see.

Sorry, I'm just kidding, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't behold it without my eyes burning.

Seriously, thanks for the info.

Well Hi Hater!

The info obviuosly isnt for you isnt it Onderer? But for theHUNdreds of people inquiring about it.

I will do none of that stuff to that bike. I never called it super anything. Even tho it is super awesome. But its definitely not a supermoto. And a real rider knows it. But a xr anything isnt a good sm anyways. Ill still tear anyone on any xr through canyons. I love haters so keep hatin. It means you probably hate your own bike.

Go watch the movie Bambi

Well Hi Hater!

The info obviuosly isnt for you isnt it Onderer? But for theHUNdreds of people inquiring about it.

I will do none of that stuff to that bike. I never called it super anything. Even tho it is super awesome. But its definitely not a supermoto. And a real rider knows it. But a xr anything isnt a good sm anyways. Ill still tear anyone on any xr through canyons. I love haters so keep hatin. It means you probably hate your own bike.

Go watch the movie Bambi

Whoa there, it was a joke and supposed to be laughed away. Really, I think it's ugly overall but that should'nt bother you as much as it appears to have. I was ribbing you about it which does'nt mean I hate anyting, it's simply not pleasing to my eyes. I thanked you for the valuable information and meant it. Lighten up Francis.

Is there an advantage to that setup? Nice write up!

Purely cosmetic besides two major upgrades. Dual piston rear caliper brakes and a cush hub on.a sticky 170 tire. My supermoto warp 9 has no cush.

The front is an r1. I built it like that cause i dive into corners faster like that my rear squats when i sit on it so its all playing with adjusters to suit where or what im riding. I just sold my ninja zx10, this is twenty times more fun block per block.

Point is, no one else has it, still. And suprisingly, a few people want to do the mod and i dont feel like writing this in an email everytime.

I'm not into supermoto style bikes but I like this one.  Love the mod ERIC thanks for the pics and the writeup. 

fine job eric! so many changes it would be difficult to compare, i.e., weight, wheelbase, height, etc.

I hope that alum vortex lasts longer than my POS(gone at 3000miles).

def one of a kind beauty. badass. 

Looks great, hows it handle the twisties? 

fine job eric! so many changes it would be difficult to compare, i.e., weight, wheelbase, height, etc.

I hope that alum vortex lasts longer than my POS(gone at 3000miles).

def one of a kind beauty. badass.

Looks great, hows it handle the twisties?

The single swingarm is a little longer than the stocker. But it feels good when you squat under acceleration. It feels like the tires right behind you. I think the lower r1 front end helps sharpen the steering. Its a way more agressive seating postion, but it works when ou want to be agressive. The clarke 5 gal feels good between my knees, especially when only the outside knees gripping. Plus i got a steering dampener. Huge upgrade. I had the stock front end with this swingarm and i rode with the stock 21 and a knobby and i rode with an excel 17". That was more upright and comfy for cruising around town and turning was good but now its sharper.

The weight is more the rim, tire, brakes and cush hub. The swingarm doesnt weigh much alone. A five spoke mag wheel. The tire is about twice as heavy. The cush hub is a bowl full of rubber blocks. But worth it.

I can swap the c/s sprocket between a 14 and 15 and have a drastic torque differenc. I have 15/45 with the nx fifth. My alum vortex has just under 3000 miles. I had a 43 before i ran the nx fifth. So this is my second custom vortex sprocket. No ccomplaints. I havent noticed excessive wear especially after i took a mm off the sprocket mounting face. I do want to get the dual metal supersprox next tho.

Oh and DOT-COM, you know i gotta well tuned FCRMX 41 on there!

The single swingarm is a little longer than the stocker. But it feels good when you squat under acceleration. It feels like the tires right behind you. I think the lower r1 front end helps sharpen the steering. Its a way more agressive seating postion, but it works when ou want to be agressive. The clarke 5 gal feels good between my knees, especially when only the outside knees gripping. Plus i got a steering dampener. Huge upgrade. I had the stock front end with this swingarm and i rode with the stock 21 and a knobby and i rode with an excel 17". That was more upright and comfy for cruising around town and turning was good but now its sharper.

The weight is more the rim, tire, brakes and cush hub. The swingarm doesnt weigh much alone. A five spoke mag wheel. The tire is about twice as heavy. The cush hub is a bowl full of rubber blocks. But worth it.

I can swap the c/s sprocket between a 14 and 15 and have a drastic torque differenc. I have 15/45 with the nx fifth. My alum vortex has just under 3000 miles. I had a 43 before i ran the nx fifth. So this is my second custom vortex sprocket. No ccomplaints. I havent noticed excessive wear especially after i took a mm off the sprocket mounting face. I do want to get the dual metal supersprox next tho.

Oh and DOT-COM, you know i gotta well tuned FCRMX 41 on there!

you have created one hell of a unique machine there eric. Yeah that FCR got to  be the berries, especially with the added weight. But i know the oem spokes are heavy wheels and then add the tubes. Might be closer than you think. Have you weighed the bike? could be interesting but doesn't matter really, if it works the way you want, huh.