Sign in to follow this  

'13 Xc Triples / Forks tweak / mis-align much too easily now !

This guy's thread describes my prob exactly.

barbwire44 says"Problem started 2 enduro's back, seems the slightest crash will cause my tubes and wheel to become out of alignment. After the first day of this happening I removed forks from clamps and cleaned, re-torqued and it hasn't helped. So I did it again, brake cleaner and wiped everything as good as possible and again torqued tubes in clamps even added 1 NM to top and bottom. And yes I do work my way up to torque specs going back and forth on the bolts. Bike is a 2012 300XC. I can put the tire beside a tree and with a very light swing of the bars make the forks and wheel move in the clamps?? any idea's?

There's 5 pages with similar posts to the above in this thread on ktmtalk.

http://www.ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?t=478211

I just made the last post (below) to the thread in the above link :

This is my post:

I have the same problem. I bought a 2013 300xc last may. Bike was great for almost a year. Handled like a dream. My bark buster clipped a pine at Tri County HS this spring (2014) and now i just cant seem to keep the forks aligned. Just like many have said in this thread, the slightest thing and my forks tweak (twist) ... then it's all binding/ stiction and barely rideable. (Fork tubes become misaligned, triples have twisted) Recently i ran a rotary wire brush thru the triples and removed the black anodization from the fork clamping surface, put some slight cross hatching in there too... cleaned all the surfaces with toluene then acetone. Re torqued everything, i lay a 1/2" thick 4"x8" plate glass across the forks and make sure aligned, set the front axle properly and all is wonderful again, until i hit the first good rock. These are the same rocks and trails i've ridden with 2 older ktm's and my recent YZ's that i just sold, never had this problem with all these other bikes. If fact, my '12 yz stock triples never had this prob, Ride eng 22mm triples on the YZ and also Emig triples on the YZ never had this prob riding rock garden trails at speed. (St Clair/Tamaqua/Lansford)
Something is definitely not right with these 2013 triples, i read thru this thread and i dont see where anyone has found a fix, unless i overlooked it. im trying to track down some aftermarket triples for it, it's a great bike ...when the forks aren't tweaked.
When they tweak, I literally go from a mid-pack A-sen to C riding, it's so frustrating...Lol Is buying aftermarket triples the "fix" ? I have no prob paying whatever to stop this from happening so easily. This problem just has me baffled !
Anyone figure anything out, please reply, quote me or pm me. Thanks much !

Edited by avocasingletrack

Are you are letting the front wheel find it's center by loosening the axle clamp bolts on the right side after you've tightened the axle nut?  Any chance that the bushings in your forks are shot or a fork tube is bent?

Just shooting in the dark here.

Are you are letting the front wheel find it's center by loosening the axle clamp bolts on the right side after you've tightened the axle nut?  Any chance that the bushings in your forks are shot or a fork tube is bent?

Just shooting in the dark here.

yes, i know how to "set" the front axle , i do all this and it handles like a dream until i hit the first good rock or graze a tree with a bark buster. I put all new bearings in the head tube, wheels, fork service this spring....and again last week .  I wondered if a fork tube is bent , i dont know how i could check that but then i wonder if one was actually bent then how am i able to reset everything and it's good for a short while ? i would think if a tube was bent then i wouldn't be able to get anything to align and would have probs sliding the axle thru also. Seems like the people with the cast clamps are not having this problem . 

Good points.  You've probably already tried this but I'd be tempted to torque the bolts tighter to see if I could eliminate the slippage.   Saw a cast triple clamp from a '14 for $180 on Ebay.  Way cheaper than an aftermarket one.

maybe your torque wrench is off and they are not getting tightened enough? Just a guess.

I own a 14 300xc so i'd be curious to find out.

Good points.  You've probably already tried this but I'd be tempted to torque the bolts tighter to see if I could eliminate the slippage.   Saw a cast triple clamp from a '14 for $180 on Ebay.  Way cheaper than an aftermarket one.

maybe your torque wrench is off and they are not getting tightened enough? Just a guess.

I own a 14 300xc so i'd be curious to find out.

Alot of people are having the prob but others i know are not. I have tried over torquing them , been using 15 on the bottom and 20 on the top and it still tweaks , i think anything above 15 on the bottom would start to affect fork function , spec is 12Nm , 17 on top . I cant say for sure if the torque wrench is off but going by feel i think i'd strip them if i went any tighter. The cast ones on Ebay, are they for an xcW ? i have a '13 xc , i dont know if they would fit or if they are 22 , im pretty happy with the 22 offset. The problem is not the money, you just cant find the aftermarket triples right now. The bike was such a great handling and cornering bike that I sold my '12 yz250 after one good woods lap on a new 13 XC . I have to re-seat the front axle , align the forks, test ride it , come back and do it again and once it's "on" the bike is magic again , is glued to the ground in corners, follows the terrain very smoothly and does not deflect ....then one small graze off a tree or hit a rock wrong and it "out" again . The thing just tweaks way too easy. I really thought it was me until i read thru the whole thread above on ktmtalk and see there's 5 pages of people with the EXACT same prob , also a local guy here had the prob, bought aftermarket triples and no longer has the prob. I understand forks can tweak. I have dont it on rare occasions on previous Ktm's 06 , 09 , previous Yz's 08 , 12 but it usually takes a really bad hit to tweak forks. At least for me , and im riding in the same trails , loops and terrain.  Owell , sorry to blow alotta wind here

Edited by avocasingletrack

Unfortunately, the triple clamp I saw on E-bay this  morning no longer shows up.  Might have already sold. 

You probably already know this but the lower clamp for the XC changed between '12 and '13 and the bolt position is different (moved from the sides to the back).  Also, oddly, the price went from about $300 to about $150.  Not sure what that means but I'd be tempted to try the stock lower clamp from 2011.

You probably already know this but the lower clamp for the XC changed between '12 and '13 and the bolt position is different (moved from the sides to the back).  Also, oddly, the price went from about $300 to about $150.  Not sure what that means but I'd be tempted to try the stock lower clamp from 2011.

that's a good point. From what i've read, the position of the slit and bolts does have an impact on how the clamping surface holds the tubes.  Only thing i'd have to change is to the '12 front fender which is not a prob , im not a big fan of the i-beam new style fender.