1998 CR125R

Bought me a light project... Clean motor, everything appears to be stock except pipe and exhaust. Radiator is dented in, pipe is dented in, the rear wheel bearings are shot, and the kill switch doesn't work. Runs great though! I already have a nice parts order made... It had all black plastic on it  ?, I'm going back to red, but with a white rear fender... This has been my dream bike for a while now... And I know it's stupid, but I've always wanted a bike as old as me.  :ride: I'll be posting pictures once it's finished, I'm holding off on the pipe for a bit... I'll be replacing that after my recent parts bill is paid off lol

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

That's a sweet bike. Me too i have one (that's my last racebike when i still did swiss championships). One thing you have to consider is getting the rubber airboot between airbox and carburetor of the same years CR 250 as the stock one was too narrow and didn't allow the engine to breathe for its full potential.

I have really a lot of different exhausts...tested them all....the PC exhausts add revs but lacks in the middle. Therefore i prefer the FMF Fatty. BUT best on my HPP engines is an italian Messico exhaust which comes on strong in the middle yet still revs to the moon. Best of all.

Easy enhancements for power:

Airboot off a CR 250

38mm carb (adds on top)

VForce3 reedblock

- 0,1mm on the head (raise compression)

+3mm spacer in stock pipe for best low-end or aftermarket exhaust if you want some more juice mid/top.

• Like 3

That's a sweet bike. Me too i have one (that's my last racebike when i still did swiss championships). One thing you have to consider is getting the rubber airboot between airbox and carburetor of the same years CR 250 as the stock one was too narrow and didn't allow the engine to breathe for its full potential.

I have really a lot of different exhausts...tested them all....the PC exhausts add revs but lacks in the middle. Therefore i prefer the FMF Fatty. BUT best on my HPP engines is an italian Messico exhaust which comes on strong in the middle yet still revs to the moon. Best of all.

Easy enhancements for power:

Airboot off a CR 250

38mm carb (adds on top)

VForce3 reedblock

- 0,1mm on the head (raise compression)

+3mm spacer in stock pipe for best low-end or aftermarket exhaust if you want some more juice mid/top.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to consider all of them.

And what should I get the carb off of?

Edited by Dirt_Rider_Forever

Here's a list off bikes to get the pwk off of.

http://motocrosshideout.com/cr250cr125-pwk-air-striker-conversion-throw-out-the-tmx/

**•2smokin•**

Thanks, but their saying a 2000-2003, and mine is a 1998... Will this be a problem?

And if anyone has pictures of their 98-99 CR125R's I'd love to see them! ?

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to consider all of them.

And what should I get the carb off of?

I would consider NINO as the resident 125 expert so any advice he gives I would listen to.  The best bike to get the 38mm carb from would be the 00 cr250.  Or you can buy a new one from JD Jetting and he will send it pre jetted for you (at least a baseline).  Too bad getting a messico pipe isn't really an option here, I have an FMF fatty on my 94 cr125 with a 144cc Eric gorr big bore kit on it and I like the pipe.  Yours doesn't look too bad, could use a repair but I don't think those dents will affect power too badly for now.  Looks like a good bike, you will love it!!

• Like 1

I would consider NINO as the resident 125 expert so any advice he gives I would listen to. The best bike to get the 38mm carb from would be the 00

cr250. Or you can buy a new one from JD Jetting and he will send it pre jetted for you (at least a baseline). Too bad getting a messico pipe isn't really an option here, I have an FMF fatty on my 94 cr125 with a 144cc Eric gorr big bore kit on it and I like the pipe. Yours doesn't look too bad, could use a repair but I don't think those dents will affect power too badly for now. Looks like a good bike, you will love it!!

I agree. Nino is the man to listen to when it comes to 125s. But the reason the 00 carb is best is because it comes with the right ran slide already.

**•2smokin•**

• Like 1

I agree. Nino is the man to listen to when it comes to 125s. But the reason the 00 carb is best is because it comes with the right ran slide already.

**•2smokin•**

The JD carb is a 00 CR250 carb with JD's needles included with it.  Buying the JD carb isn't the cheapest way to go but after the experience I had with him last month (Customer service wise), it would be worth every penny to get a JD carb.  JD is fantastic and will go out of his way to make you completely happy with his stuff.  He sent me 2 alternate needles and 2 main jets for no charge simply because I had a mid range bog that I couldn't jet out with his primary needles.  Plus he spent an hour on the phone with me giving me training on his JD jetting guide that I bought a few years ago but couldn't figure out how to use.  I couldn't be happier with that kind of personal service.  I don't know anywhere else you would get that, not from Sudco or Carb parts warehouse. 

• Like 2

I don't have too many pictures of my '98 as nowadays i concentrate on my AF with the CRF chassis...engine-wise i have them on the same level though and my '98 is still in perfect condition.The engine just got a new crank, all new bearings and seals, Hinson clutch assembly....freshly serviced suspension..it is really as ready as it was 16 years ago when it still was my racebike for the swiss championships.

But just last saturday i had a race and early in the morning there was some heavy rain for a full hour...just before timed practice. The track got really deep and i was tempted to go home (really!). But i always take the '98 with me as parts provider or just in case...well - this time i decided i'd do timed practice with my '98 which would leave me with a clean racebike for the afternoon when the track would be in primo condition with the sun out again. Well - i did so and even though i was the only 125cc in my class i still got the fastest time even though i used a 16 year old bike with a 23 year old engine....the '98 is still a good bike !!  ? Later that day i got a 2nd and 1st for 1st overall using my actual AF. On a dry track with bumps the newer CRF chassis is definitely superior handlingwise.

My '98 just this past saturday after a very muddy timed practice:

14102283610_4d90b96a88_c.jpg

Usually i try to loose weight on my bikes but this time i picked up at least 10-15 Kilos/ 22-33 lbs...yes - this is a 1991 Mugen cylinder. Still running as strong if not stronger than actual '14 KTMs ?

14288907885_559d5a2e1f_c.jpg

My '98 in 2014:

14102241249_fa5d5132e2_c.jpg

14288409504_360e4e33df_c.jpg

My '98 and my '12 AF....just before beeing loaded up for the races. The '98 is my spare bike and i just take it along. Usually i hardly use it though. If it gets used it's mostly for testing new engine parts and beeing able to compare with my actual racebike.

14288404794_576d8a9838_c.jpg

Usually my '98 just sits in the garage next to the '90 VRP Mugen Honda and my '12 AF:

13483440613_78db111469_c.jpg

All 3 with '90/'91 Mugen engines ?

13483689804_a4f6603be7_c.jpg

And here is a video of 2011 when the '98 was still my only bike i had for riding (the rider onboard is a '67 ? ):

Real riding starts around the 1:30 mark...

...and the same track filmed from behind (my friend rides a KTM 350F):

Edited by nino
  • Like 2

I don't have too many pictures of my '98 as nowadays i concentrate on my AF with the CRF chassis...engine-wise i have them on the same level though and my '98 is still in perfect condition.The engine just got a new crank, all new bearings and seals, Hinson clutch assembly....freshly serviced suspension..it is really as ready as it was 16 years ago when it still was my racebike for the swiss championships.

But just last saturday i had a race and early in the morning there was some heavy rain for a full hour...just before timed practice. The track got really deep and i was tempted to go home (really!). But i always take the '98 with me as parts provider or just in case...well - this time i decided i'd do timed practice with my '98 which would leave me with a clean racebike for the afternoon when the track would be in primo condition with the sun out again. Well - i did so and even though i was the only 125cc in my class i still got the fastest time even though i used a 16 year old bike with a 23 year old engine....the '98 is still a good bike !!  ? Later that day i got a 2nd and 1st for 1st overall using my actual AF. On a dry track with bumps the newer CRF chassis is definitely superior handlingwise.

My '98 just this past saturday after a very muddy timed practice:

14102283610_4d90b96a88_c.jpg

Usually i try to loose weight on my bikes but this time i picked up at least 10-15 Kilos/ 22-33 lbs...yes - this is a 1991 Mugen cylinder. Still running as strong if not stronger than actual '14 KTMs ?

14288907885_559d5a2e1f_c.jpg

My '98 in 2014:

14102241249_fa5d5132e2_c.jpg

14288409504_360e4e33df_c.jpg

My '98 and my '12 AF....just before beeing loaded up for the races. The '98 is my spare bike and i just take it along. Usually i hardly use it though. If it gets used it's mostly for testing new engine parts and beeing able to compare with my actual racebike.

14288404794_576d8a9838_c.jpg

Usually my '98 just sits in the garage next to the '90 VRP Mugen Honda and my '12 AF:

13483440613_78db111469_c.jpg

All 3 with '90/'91 Mugen engines ?

13483689804_a4f6603be7_c.jpg

And here is a video of 2011 when the '98 was still my only bike i had for riding (the rider onboard is a '67 ? ):

Real riding starts around the 1:30 mark...

...and the same track filmed from behind (my friend rides a KTM 350F):

Finally, someone riding a 1998 like it's supposed to be ridden! I have spent a long time on YT trying to find some decent riding videos of these 125's! Props to the 67 year old rider, he could whip my tail any day lol! Thanks for the pictures and the videos! I really enjoyed them!

• Like 1

Finally, someone riding a 1998 like it's supposed to be ridden! I have spent a long time on YT trying to find some decent riding videos of these 125's! Props to the 67 year old rider, he could whip my tail any day lol! Thanks for the pictures and the videos! I really enjoyed them!

well  - i'm not 67 years old but rather born in '67...but thanks anyway ?

Yeah - you can whip those bikes as well

14311106943_f267e3e449_c.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a crappy craigslist picture of it with the black plastic before I bought it, I couldn't hate the look of the bike more with those plastics on it   ?

I cleaned on the bike for 2 hours... wasn't as clean as the picture made it look to be (water does amazing things when taking pictures lol), but it's clean now... I should be done for a while when all my parts come in (No new or good used pipe for now). By June 7th it should be done for a long time I hope (unless someone throws some money my way lol) and I'll take it to the motocross track for my first real ride on it, can't wait! I'll post plenty of pictures once I get some parts on it lol.

CR125.jpg

Got in some parts! (I got in a complete fastener kit for the plastic too!)

Got kill switch, sprockets, handlebars, grips, and air filter on last night.

Still waiting on seat, plastic, radiator, a white rear fender, ratio cup, fork oil, rear fender decals (Gonna have a red and white rear fender to switch out and I forgot to get graphics for one of them lol) and a bike stand.

• Like 1

Here is a crappy craigslist picture of it with the black plastic before I bought it, I couldn't hate the look of the bike more with those plastics on it   ?

I cleaned on the bike for 2 hours... wasn't as clean as the picture made it look to be (water does amazing things when taking pictures lol), but it's clean now... I should be done for a while when all my parts come in (No new or good used pipe for now). By June 7th it should be done for a long time I hope (unless someone throws some money my way lol) and I'll take it to the motocross track for my first real ride on it, can't wait! I'll post plenty of pictures once I get some parts on it lol.

CR125.jpg

I never liked that black plastic, either. When I picked up my 99 the seller gave me some spare black plastic and I chucked it.

• Like 1