Sign in to follow this  

Soggy Buttocks

Bit of an unusual one here....just thought I'd give you all a heads up :D

It seems that getting your saddle properly drenched, be it parked up in the rain or dropped in a river, the foam soaks up water through the seams. And it is through these very seams that the water is released when your butt cheeks are on the saddle. I thought I had a seriously sweaty arse however I noticed it was not happening on my GS.

Well I was left baffled for a while until the other day when I propped the saddle up against a wall while doing maintenance, which is when I saw water deposit at the front of the seat which was facing downwards. Relief...I don't have an unusually sweaty arse  :lol:

• Like 4

Hmm, I took my bike to the car wash the other day, wiped the seat off with my glove to dry it afterwards, and was totally fine on the ride back home. :excuseme:

Mott, I'm guessing a quick wash aint that bad...dunking it in deep water/riding in the rain/parking in the rain for xxx minutes/hours will do the trick.

Gary, yes mate, stocker. Maybe it's just my seat? Flippin' embarrassing though I tell ya, especially when you're wearing khaki's :p

• Like 1

Mott, I'm guessing a quick wash aint that bad...dunking it in deep water/riding in the rain/parking in the rain for xxx minutes/hours will do the trick.

Gary, yes mate, stocker. Maybe it's just my seat? Flippin' embarrassing though I tell ya, especially when you're wearing khaki's :p

if you want to be creative you could remove your seat cover and put a layer of thick plastic between the cover and foam and re install your cover ...  :thumbsup:

Good idea, but the thought of removing all those staples puts me right off, plus I'm thinking of switching the cover to red/black two tone might get it done then  :thumbsup:   

• Like 1

i haven't dunked my baby in any ponds  rivers, or lakes, but i do ride in any weather besides freezing...  i have not had a problem with my seat...  it sits out in front of my job when its raining... the only time she is in the house is when i am home... but, no problems... weird how it can come out the stock seat skin... i thought it was pretty sealed...  

i do have a sweaty arse though... lol

There is a seam sealer available to solve this problem.  It might be for tents.  I forget.

walmart... coleman seam sealer...  $3.00  its a roll on... might work...  works for cloths also... i use to have the spray stuff but i changed to the roll on to save the earth...  we all know i am a tree smoker... i mean tree hugger...    :awww:  :D (green faced... hahahaha) 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/COLEMAN-SEAM-SEALER/13848651

• Like 2

i hear yah... but how is it leaking then??? lol  so if you coat it with the seam sealer, it will be sealed... when you get the seam sealer on your hands its like caulk....  now now, don't get excited, i said caulk...  you sick kids, you...  but it peels off your fingers like a thin layer of silicone...  so if you coat the seat (inside) it should seal it...  

when going out in the rain I suppose you could vacuum seal your seat in plastic and then install back on the bike .....  :thinking:

........................  :lol:

when going out in the rain I suppose you could vacuum seal your seat in plastic and then install back on the bike .....  :thinking:

........................  :lol:

like the FOOD SAVER!!!!   lol

• Like 1

I rode a 110 miles in the rain Saturday before last and I don't think any water got into the seat foam.I got wet because the water was hitting my chest and running down to pool in the seat between my legs.Frog Toggs are pretty good except in standing water,I must have almost 800 miles on mine.

How bout that stuff on TV where the guys boot steps into a mud puddle--I for get the name right now tho :facepalm: :facepalm: I't fairly new??

• Like 1

In one of the "how to wash your dirtbike" series on the tube, the guy wisely cautions you to prop your seat vertically against the wall to let all the water run out if you get it wet.

Same thing happens on my boat!

I rode a 110 miles in the rain Saturday before last and I don't think any water got into the seat foam.I got wet because the water was hitting my chest and running down to pool in the seat between my legs.Frog Toggs are pretty good except in standing water,I must have almost 800 miles on mine.

my friend gave me a pair of his XXL walmart $30 rain pants....  i stay perfectly dry in these things...  granted, they would melt if they touched the "bomb" on the pipe, but i have the heat shield on so they do well...  they have been the best pants i have had so far...  they fit over my pants or if i am wearing my riding pants... they even fit over my dickies coveralls...  best free pants EVER!!!

• Like 2

In one of the "how to wash your dirtbike" series on the tube, the guy wisely cautions you to prop your seat vertically against the wall to let all the water run out if you get it wet.

Same thing happens on my boat!

over time almost every boat me and my family has owned has gotten water in the seats... yes they are sealed with plastic, but its seems like over time it works its way in somehow...    funny thing is all my sit down jet ski seats never "squished" out water...  and i would be in the ocean wave jumping and letting newb's ride them while i rode my stand ups...  but the seats never ever squished...  and they had seams on all of them... the kawasaki x-2, that was just styrofoam with blue canvas over it... no cushion what so ever...  

• Like 1

over time almost every boat me and my family has owned has gotten water in the seats... yes they are sealed with plastic, but its seems like over time it works its way in somehow...    funny thing is all my sit down jet ski seats never "squished" out water...  and i would be in the ocean wave jumping and letting newb's ride them while i rode my stand ups...  but the seats never ever squished...  and they had seams on all of them... the kawasaki x-2, that was just styrofoam with blue canvas over it... no cushion what so ever...  

We just gave in and made all our seats, even the bow bolsters, removable. I pull them and store them in my shed in between boat trips most of the time...stored vertically on the wall.  :thumbsup:

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 1

the stock cover has no seams 

You're absolutely right! I had the seat propped against the wall front end down, which is where the water sept out of the seams. Yes the front has the seam visible, but it then tucks under. 

So the question is, where the feck is this water getting in from & why are my cheeks getting damp?!  :foul:  :lol: