Sign in to follow this  

need opinions on a possible bike trade

I have the opportunity to trade my 2001 CR250 that i bought cheap had the motor fully rebuilt, it has a pro curcuit pipe and silencer, boysen reeds, pro taper bars, msr adjustable clutch lever, new chain and plastics I love the bike but for my riding its not what is preferred all i do is trails.

The said bike is question is an 01 YZF426 http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/4487960195.html here is the link

let me know your opinions, my dad had one of these bikes set up pretty similar to how this one is and absolutely loved it.

My first reaction was to ask you  "What are you planning to use the bike for?"...but I quickly realized I cannot think of ANY scenario where I would prefer the Yammy (and I see you specified trails)  Maybe when I'm old (er)...

I think it's something only you can answer.  You'll probably mostly get opinions such as mine....exactly that, matter's of opinion...

An 01 cr-250 is a jewel....might want to hang on to it.......$0.02

Maybe consider a weighted flywheel, fatter jetting off the bottom, handguards, lower gearing......etc.  You can make that cr a woods weapon ;)  At least with your cr you know now what you have vs getting into another unknown...

• Like 1

my wife says the same thing you know what you have with your bike.... but I agree a FWW and hand guards would be nice (I've already regeared it and it kind of helped)one of my main issues is we go on long rides and its a fuel guzzling pig, and I don't feel as if i can just power up everything like I could on a 4 stroke.  I am a Ride Red guy to the bone there is no doubt but I cant find any decent priced CRF's in my area for a decent price that arent just destroyed.

reason of interest in the YZF,  my dad had one it was one of his favorite bikes hes ever ridden, and I have 3 good friends with 2000 and 2001 426's and they all love them and have been super reliable

my wife says the same thing you know what you have with your bike.... but I agree a FWW and hand guards would be nice (I've already regeared it and it kind of helped)one of my main issues is we go on long rides and its a fuel guzzling pig, and I don't feel as if i can just power up everything like I could on a 4 stroke.  I am a Ride Red guy to the bone there is no doubt but I cant find any decent priced CRF's in my area for a decent price that arent just destroyed.

reason of interest in the YZF,  my dad had one it was one of his favorite bikes hes ever ridden, and I have 3 good friends with 2000 and 2001 426's and they all love them and have been super reliable

A wise man once told me...."listen to your wife". :thumbsup:

I think you'll find a well maintained cr to be pretty reliable too.  Have you considered an oversized tank to extend your range?  Don't forget the cr has the advantage of being easier to work on and generally less expensive to repair when things do go wrong...

But again, you're getting MY biased opinion where here I am telling YOU what I would do...but only you can answer that.  Personally, I would not even entertain the thought of that trade...but that's just me...

• Like 1

Next question I'll throw out there is $1900 fair to ask for my bike, its super clean and as stated above rebuilt with some goodies, but I haven't gotten any bites on the bike but a few $1500 offers but I don't feel I'm asking to much for it.

• Like 1

Next question I'll throw out there is $1900 fair to ask for my bike, its super clean and as stated above rebuilt with some goodies, but I haven't gotten any bites on the bike but a few $1500 offers but I don't feel I'm asking to much for it.

Can't help you there because I don't know your local market.  That bike (assuming it's in the condition you described) could land an EASY $2500 in these parts...closer to $3k to the right buyer...

People are funny creatures.  Sometimes when you RAISE the price it generates more interest ;

Edited by Fattonz

My first reaction was to ask you  "What are you planning to use the bike for?"...but I quickly realized I cannot think of ANY scenario where I would prefer the Yammy (and I see you specified trails)  Maybe when I'm old (er)...

I think it's something only you can answer.  You'll probably mostly get opinions such as mine....exactly that, matter's of opinion...

An 01 cr-250 is a jewel....might want to hang on to it.......$0.02

Maybe consider a weighted flywheel, fatter jetting off the bottom, handguards, lower gearing......etc.  You can make that cr a woods weapon ;)  At least with your cr you know now what you have vs getting into another unknown...

:thumbsup: There is no way i would trade my 01' for this thing unless the airbox was crammed full of 100 dollar bills  :naughty: Too blue,Too many valves and exhaust pipes too skinny.

Can't help you there because I don't know your local market.  That bike (assuming it's in the condition you described) could land an EASY $2500 in these parts...closer to $3k to the right buyer...

People are funny creatures.  Sometimes when you RAISE the price it generates more interest ;

here is my build thread easiest access for me to pictures at work, http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1072307-01-cr250-project/

:thumbsup: There is no way i would trade my 01' for this thing unless the airbox was crammed full of 100 dollar bills  :naughty: Too blue,Too many valves and exhaust pipes too skinny.

i know the 2000,2001 CR's are sought after but what exactly about the motor is it that makes them so special?  I've been a 4 stroke guy all my life up until this bike i have now

here is my build thread easiest access for me to pictures at work, http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1072307-01-cr250-project/

i know the 2000,2001 CR's are sought after but what exactly about the motor is it that makes them so special?  I've been a 4 stroke guy all my life up until this bike i have now

10 years of development , the last of the governor operated power valves before they went to the electronically operated ones. There are a few threads on TT about the 01'.  :ride: