Sign in to follow this  

Cross rutted crash video

I was trying to avoid a slower rider and made a bad decision to change lines before a rutted jump.  I got cross rutted and tried to keep the front wheel straight but went down hard and dislocated my right shoulder.  Did I do the right thing in keeping my front wheel straight??  Is there anyway to straighten the bike out?  The crash is at 4:40

Edited by maxamillion125

There isn't much you can do. All you can do is try to muscle the bike back enough that you might have a chance at riding it out. That includes trying to get leverage off the steering stop. I learned in a similar fashion that if you don't have a good approach into a rutted face, stick to the deep ruts, because your rear seems to find it's way there anyway. 

• Like 1

I don't tknow the answer but I'm curious if you got really hard on the throttle if that would have helped straighten you up? 

You can try losing a half second on your lap time and just let off the gas and then pass then him upon landing. If you insist on leaving rutted jump faces at an angle, you can try giving it some gas in the air so you land front end high. It's give the ass end that extra tenth of a second to straighten up before the front end touches down. Also, egads man, smooth out before you hurt yourself.

You would have had a shot had you pinned the throttle. The gyro effect of the rear tyre could have saved you.

I find when in a situation like that a hard squeeze with the knees regains control, and keeps the bike upright, it's almost automatic for me anymore after breaking various bones over the years, I had a lot of good saves with that method,  you seem like your body was too relaxed on the bike upon landing, you landed in a soft rut and it washed. also you should try and run in a higher gear, when the bike's wound up like that over jumps, it binds the suspension, not allowing it to compress to it's capacity.  Remember, concentration to the bike and track at all times is the key. hang in there, hope you have a good recovery.

Edited by aakmetz

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Ya I kinda froze when I felt the back end coming out to the side.  The best thing would have been to stay in my line and just slow down, then pass him after landing.  Interesting idea about bringing the front end up which probably would have saved it.  I'm always trying to squeeze with my knees more.  Well I'm racing this weekend, it will have been 3 weeks since the dislocation.  I've made a lot of progressive this week. 

• Like 1

I've always found when i cross up like that it's better to land front wheel first. On small kick outs rear first is fine, but in a situation like that, land rear tire first and the bike wants to go over on it's side. You can see you turn into it (the bike laying over fast). Front wheel first and a lot of times you can keep the front wheel under you and not go down.

• Like 1

Looking at the video, if you had left the throttle on the front end would not of dived out on you.

You looked like you froze up a bit and just followed the bike instead of shifting your weight.

Sorry to hear, you looked good out there.

• Like 1

In that situation you have to hold the frame tight with your knees and pin it (panic rev) in the air before touch down. 

Don't tighten up on the bike. There is no way in hell that you are going to muscle a 200lb machine that is going 30 mph back into place. When most fast dudes get swapping you will see them push thier foot off the pegs that is going with the direction of the back. They are trying to push the front the same direction the back end is going so it straightens up. You will never bring the rear end back, it's just not physically possible.