Sign in to follow this  

Massachusetts Dirt Bike registration in MA - required equipment?

Hello All,

I am trying to navigate my way through the MA process to register a dirt bike for the MA OHV trails system.

I have read all the threads on this site on the topic and have read the MA OHV site and still have a few questions.

I understand that lights front and back are required and "An adequate muffler designed to reduce
unusual or excessive noise (below 96 dbA)
and noxious fumes."

1. Are there light kits for dirt bikes or do i need to install a full dual sport kit on a dirt bike?

2. How do I know if the muffler noise is less than 96 dbA? Does the state inspect the bike and test it with a meter?

3. Are there any limits to 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke?

This is my fist post on this site so if I am doing it wrong please advise on the correct method/place.

Thanks for your help.

What type of bike do you have?

some bikes require a light coil i believe.

For example..correct me if im wrong. but riding in the freetown state forrest all you need is a registered bike, and a muffler under 96db.

ive been out there with my old crf150f without lights. you can only ride until a certain time i believe. 

if you have a factory muffler you should be able to find the db in your manual. or if its after market you can look at the companies website. example FMF Q4 is 96db at the max ( From FMF site)

the state dosnt inspect the muffler to get a registration. the only time they would is if there was a park ranger on the trail doing random stops... or if theres a noise complaint.

to register a dirt bike in MA you just need to go to the environmental police station. i know theres one in hyannis on cape.. and one in fall river... theres also one in boston, but ive never been.

you just need

• a bill of sale
  • sales tax paid (online, or with a money order)
  • the form
  • and a copy of your VIN (just take a paper and pencil and rub it over to get a carbon copy

after that you get your registration numbers and sticker and your good to go

Edited by Tcsglassworks

It is rare for the state to test bikes trail side but it has happened, just repack your muffler from time to time.

You pay sales tax on line, the form you need is a ST6. Just remember you had twenty day to pay sales tax from the date you bought it or pay a fine, so don't date your bill of sale.

So go to the RMV with a proof of sales tax paid the ST6 and bill of sale and a check as they don't take cards. Not all RMV locations  do OHVR registrations so check the state site first. In Springfield its down stairs.

Not all my bikes have lights and i don't ride after dark so for me its not a problem and i have never been asked about them.

Dirt bikes do not need and lighting to be trail registered in Massachusetts. As mentioned above, pay your sales tax on line, print out the form and bring it with you to the Environmental Police chapter. I go to the one on Causway St (same place you register a boat) and I understand the have a location in Worcester also. Never had my exhaust questioned but I've heard horror stories from folks who have. I think if you act responsibly in staging areas as well as street crossings you'll be fine. Don't give them a reason to give you/us a hard time because we're in danger of losing the little bit of legal trail access we have now. Good luck, enjoy the bike and welcome aboard!

Oh ya, you'll need a copy of your bill of sale too. The office in Boston makes a copy and gives you back the original if that's all you have.

You do not need lights on a dirt bike when registering it for OHV use. I have been riding all over Mass at trail systems and never have I been checked for dB. As long as it sounds relatively normal I doubt any officer will bust your chops for it. Go to a nearby EP office and pay your sales tax. Fill out the form and make sure to bring VIN and bill of sale. Doesn't take Much to register it. Put the sticker decals they give you on the left and right shrouds or fork tubes. Left side will show the year sticker.

How about an out of state visitor on a plated dual sport?

Some must watch while others must sleep

How about an out of state visitor on a plated dual sport?

Everyone must have a mass OHRV decal. What happened was the state dropped the sentence that allowed a street tag to cover you for off road use when they rewrote the mass OHRV laws.

So I have to go back to Fall River for my brother's Illinois plated bike?

For off road use a street tag is useless, don't matter what state it is from. If your going off road in mass OHRV decals are a must have.

Thank you for all your feedback. It was very helpful.  I have an additional question.

If I have a dual sport that is already street registered in MA do I have to pay taxes again to register it in the OHV system? I understand that I need to register it specifically for the OHV tag  but the website mentions a tax form being required.

I call the Fall River office to ask the question but the guy I talked to did not know the answer. He went off to ask someone else in the office and was not able to get me an answer. He told me to call the DOR to ask them. I tried them but got stuck in their automated systme and when i tried to "0" out to get a live person the phone went unanswered .

Has anyone actually gone through this process?

Just show up with your currant reg if your from mass because you had to pay sale tax to get it. That's your proof !

• Like 1