Sign in to follow this  

YZ125 idle speed

Just got my 01 yz125 put back together after a stuck powervalve and did a new top end while i was at it. I have been playing with the idle screw a little bit  trying to lower the idle speed and have a question. I currently have the idle set very low (as low as it will go without stalling when not in gear) but when I clutch and shift into gear, the bike will stall.

So that being said, what is the best way to set the idle? Should I pull in the clutch, shift into gear, and then adjust the idle to as low as it will go without stalling? I have been told that 2 strokes should not really idle anyway and as long as it idles in neutral, it's fine so maybe I just have to get used to giving a little bit of throttle before shifting.

Looking for opinions.

Thanks

Sounds like your clutch is not adjusted correctly if it idles in neutral and immediately dies when put into gear. Up the idle speed a couple of hundred rpm and see if it still does it when it's put into gear. If it does then I'd make sure you're clutch is adjusted so it's disengaging all the way.

Edited by kan3

My bike does the same. The clutch isnt lubricated well since its not warmed up but as far as idle speed, warm the bike up then put it into gear. If it dies or bogs, its your clutch. Ive got an 03 yz125 with an sst, and its currently at 1 1/4 airscrew out, and something like 2 1/2 turns out on idle, and it will idle for days.