Sign in to follow this  

How humiliating! How do I de-tune my wife's Husky?

Found my wife a smoking deal on a professionally lowered '08 TC250 to replace her '98 Honda xr200.  Why a Husky?  E-start, that's why.  And it is plated in Wa. It also weighs about 80lbs. less than a Japanese 250 street legal "dirtbike".  She is very happy with the Husky, except for the power.  She says it has way too much power for her, which doesn't make sense, since she rides a GSXR750 at the track.  I think the problem is that the power doesn't come on like the trusty old xr200 does.  Very slowly.  And she is having a hard time adjusting to it.  We ride up at the Giff. alot, so I really want her on something she is comfortable on. 

So I want to slow down the throttle response.  My first thought was to put on a flywheel weight but I can't find anyone who sells one for that bike.  Maybe a Motion Pro throttle tube with adjustable rotation would help?

Or tuning.  What can I do to the carb to slow down the response?  Richen it up a bit by raising the needle?  Is it posible to adust the "accelerator pump".  Or maybe choke up the exhaust a little?

Suggestions?  Besides getting a new wife!!! (C'mon, she rides at the Giff...)

The Wife is definitely a keeper for sure!!

I like the idea of tuning it richer than ideal. My 09TXC was real lazy of idle to mid when I finally discovered that the accel pump was spraying too early and hitting the throttle slide plate before fully opening. Also a larger size pilot jet. Only trick is to tune it not too rich that it flames out when ya need power up an incline. Mine stalled frequently, then I slowly fall over and start cussing LOL

Another vote for a G2 throttle cam set up, lets you change throttle control.

you  could  do  it the scott summers  way,   flycutt  the top  of the piston about  .050  dropping  the CR  ratio.    more  work  but  it will  do  a  great  job  of what  you  want...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I looked up the G2 throttle and saw some pictures of it.  It looked very familiar.  I checked the bike and sure enough it already has one on it!  K400, which aparently is the least aggressive they make!   So, being a machinist, I cut the first half of the "cam" approx. .090" deeper.  The throttle now twists about 10 deg. farther.  We will test it this weekend at the Teepee Run by Mt. Hood.  Hope to stay sober enough to remember if it worked...

Add a tooth or two to the front sprocket as long as she can still crawl slow enough in first if your riding needs that.

Possibly a te250 cdi.

Holy crap just saw this is 8 months old lol. Atleast i wasnt the one to resurrect this one!