Sign in to follow this  

Nice video on how to "Break-in" a Motor.

Just saw this video on how to break-in a motor (Piston rings) and thought i'd share it. This has been a debate for years but he explains why. it's 24 minutes long but well worth it. I have had direct experience with what he talks about when not doing it right and then not getting the correct power out of a piston. So I tore it down and did the exact same thing except with new rings and rode it like I stole it and my bike had noticeable more power. So I believe it. If you don't that's fine but I know this works.

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1VuFCLEMRs

Certainly what the video says all makes sense, but only up to a point.  Pressure against the rings is the same whether I'm doing 2K rpms or 12K.  The compression ratio is always the same.   The time rings are under pressure increases as rpm's do, but so does friction (and therefore heat) when parts are new as well.

The Honda guideline only states "avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration".

So I'll do what I've always done, which is to vary the speed, and avoid rapid accel's and decel's.  Note that this doesn't mean avoiding higher rpms, but I don't take it to the rev limiter when it's new either.

Jim.

I'm not allowed to post in this thread...whoops I just did again!!