Cracked gas tank mount

So I'm out ripping yesterday and I started hearing this clanking noise when I really got on it, got scared thinking it was about to go boom and pulled over onto the sidewalk. I'm giving the throttle some blips, don't hear anything out of the ordinary, so I headed out again. Immediately started clunking again. Pulled over again scratching my head, at this point I'm bouncing the rev limiter in this guys driveway trying to figure out where the hell this noise is coming from lol. Said F it I'm just taking it home, and as I'm riding around I see the gas tank vibrating pretty good. Slid way up till I was sitting on the tank, no more noise!

So I guess the rubber grommets on the gas tank bolts are important, especially if you like wheelies. Don't just use washers lol. Cracked the tab the bolts go into about halfway across. Anybody have this happen? Think slapping some JB on there (and replacing the grommets) is enough to fix it?

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

So I'm out ripping yesterday and I started hearing this clanking noise when I really got on it, got scared thinking it was about to go boom and pulled over onto the sidewalk. I'm giving the throttle some blips, don't hear anything out of the ordinary, so I headed out again. Immediately started clunking again. Pulled over again scratching my head, at this point I'm bouncing the rev limiter in this guys driveway trying to figure out where the hell this noise is coming from lol. Said F it I'm just taking it home, and as I'm riding around I see the gas tank vibrating pretty good. Slid way up till I was sitting on the tank, no more noise!

So I guess the rubber grommets on the gas tank bolts are important, especially if you like wheelies. Don't just use washers lol. Cracked the tab the bolts go into about halfway across. Anybody have this happen? Think slapping some JB on there (and replacing the grommets) is enough to fix it?

one of the round rubber mounts on the side (the ridged ones) of mine came off. I'm just going to glue it on...I don't see a reason to even replace them or have to remove them so I guess using 'permanent' glue isn't an issue.

one of the round rubber mounts on the side (the ridged ones) of mine came off. I'm just going to glue it on...I don't see a reason to even replace them or have to remove them so I guess using 'permanent' glue isn't an issue.

Wait, there's more mounting points than just the two bolts? No wonder mine shakes so bad

It's fine unless it's cracked thru to inside the tank... I would drain the gas, spray some brake clean inside and let it sit for a few hours to air out before welding.

I'll see if I can find someone to weld it, but I had a hard enough time just finding someone to solder a pinhole after the tank had been empty for months. Went to like 5 different guys and they were all afraid they'd blow themselves up

Wait, there's more mounting points than just the two bolts? No wonder mine shakes so bad

Yes, two bolts at the back and two rubber pucks on the frame that the front of the tank slips into...

new_tank_bumper.jpg

^black round puck (center), should be one on both sides of the frame

Yes, two bolts at the back and two rubber pucks on the frame that the front of the tank slips into...

new_tank_bumper.jpg

^black round puck (center), should be one on both sides of the frame

Aha! I'm missing one of those. Makes sense now that I think about it? the joys of owning used bikes Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz