Sign in to follow this  

Best suspension prices

I'm looking to get my suspension set up to my weight and riding. I only started riding 2 years ago so I'll put myself as a beginner. What is the best price from a suspension company? Also which one would you recommend from experience?

But I'm contemplating not paying $700 for suspension revalved to my weight and everything because it will be set at beginner level and then I'll have to revalve it later..

So just looking for thoughts on best brand, price and experience for the money?

Also I ride desert and track so what would be best for that combination? I like riding desert but want to ride track more often to get better

What Bike?

Likely all you need is to spring the bike for your weight and rebuild the suspension to excellent condition.

Then you can start testing the basics to make your motorcycle allow you to ride better and faster.

Start with setting the sag and see how you like it at 105mm compared to 100mm 110mm etc.

Then you can start working with clickers and if you take a dedicated amount of time to test the adjusters one at a time, forks first you will start to enjoy the improvements.

This will step you ahead of many riders as you will in one day get a feel for what your suspension does and many do not adjust they just ride. Your bike will work better than the guy who does not do it.

That is the fast track to becoming competent in addition to lots of time on the seat!

What area are you in? Your best off using someone pretty close to you.

The bike does make a difference though?

What type of bike are you on and how much do you weigh?  Just getting proper springs in your bike and fresh oil will make a good difference.  There is a ton of great advice here on TTalk to get your clickers setup as well.  And set your sag!!!  Depending on your mechanical abilities, springs and an oil change are something you can likely do and save a good chunk of money as well.  Nice thing is, if after you ride it awhile with just those upgrades, if you're still looking for more, the money isn't wasted as the springs will still be needed for the revalve and helps spread out the spending too.

Most of your experienced suspension tuners will have plenty of experience tuning for a mixture of desert and track, just let them know that is what you need and be honest with them on your skill/weight/riding type.

As far as who to go to, it depends on what you are looking for.  A lot of guys on here have had great look doing their own installs and valving, they like the ability to tweak and tune as much as they'd like without a price tag everytime their stuff is apart.  If you have a solid local company around, that is often a good approach as they will be able to do your stuff without shipping and also help dial you in at a local track.  And then there are always the larger companies as well which will likely have the most resources and most consistent results (this is as a whole, there are definitely some local tuners who can also provide this stuff, but it is less common).  No matter where you choose to go, do your research.. .and make sure to ask more than one buddy!  There are a lot of horror stories out there about tuners who think they know but don't.  At the same point, there are some really good suspension tuners who really value their riders and know their stuff.

Once you are sprung correctly and have fresh oil in (if it's old now, wasn't sure when your last rebuild was), you will have a nice base to start with.  As Suspenders said above, write down where your clickers are at and start playing to learn what each one will do as far as feel.  Again, there is great advice here on TTalk and I'm always up for helping you too, shoot me an email to chris@racetech.com and I can help point you in the right direction.

If you do need any springs or other products/tools, Race Tech does offer a 20% off TTalk discount to all the members here, just mention it when ordering via phone or email.  My email is above if you need a quote.

What type of bike are you on and how much do you weigh?  Just getting proper springs in your bike and fresh oil will make a good difference.  There is a ton of great advice here on TTalk to get your clickers setup as well.  And set your sag!!!  Depending on your mechanical abilities, springs and an oil change are something you can likely do and save a good chunk of money as well.  Nice thing is, if after you ride it awhile with just those upgrades, if you're still looking for more, the money isn't wasted as the springs will still be needed for the revalve and helps spread out the spending too.

Most of your experienced suspension tuners will have plenty of experience tuning for a mixture of desert and track, just let them know that is what you need and be honest with them on your skill/weight/riding type.

As far as who to go to, it depends on what you are looking for.  A lot of guys on here have had great look doing their own installs and valving, they like the ability to tweak and tune as much as they'd like without a price tag everytime their stuff is apart.  If you have a solid local company around, that is often a good approach as they will be able to do your stuff without shipping and also help dial you in at a local track.  And then there are always the larger companies as well which will likely have the most resources and most consistent results (this is as a whole, there are definitely some local tuners who can also provide this stuff, but it is less common).  No matter where you choose to go, do your research.. .and make sure to ask more than one buddy!  There are a lot of horror stories out there about tuners who think they know but don't.  At the same point, there are some really good suspension tuners who really value their riders and know their stuff.

Once you are sprung correctly and have fresh oil in (if it's old now, wasn't sure when your last rebuild was), you will have a nice base to start with.  As Suspenders said above, write down where your clickers are at and start playing to learn what each one will do as far as feel.  Again, there is great advice here on TTalk and I'm always up for helping you too, shoot me an email to chris@racetech.com and I can help point you in the right direction.

If you do need any springs or other products/tools, Race Tech does offer a 20% off TTalk discount to all the members here, just mention it when ordering via phone or email.  My email is above if you need a quote.

What Bike?

Likely all you need is to spring the bike for your weight and rebuild the suspension to excellent condition.

Then you can start testing the basics to make your motorcycle allow you to ride better and faster.

Start with setting the sag and see how you like it at 105mm compared to 100mm 110mm etc.

Then you can start working with clickers and if you take a dedicated amount of time to test the adjusters one at a time, forks first you will start to enjoy the improvements.

This will step you ahead of many riders as you will in one day get a feel for what your suspension does and many do not adjust they just ride. Your bike will work better than the guy who does not do it.

That is the fast track to becoming competent in addition to lots of time on the seat!

What area are you in? Your best off using someone pretty close to you.

The bike does make a difference though?

I am riding a completley stock 2006 cr125. I weigh 120lbs and am 5'6". I had my race sag set by a kids dad I know and they race. So I think its right but it sits high and i can barely touch still. i have never personally touched the sag but i have messed with the clickers. Also I am located in Lancaster, CA. I'm not sure of any close shops except the general dirt bike shops. Also I have not gone to the track and messed with clickers because it is $25 for one day. So I usually ride the whole time until I'm tired.  Could i just ride out to the desert and test my suspension on a set of whoops and find my happy medium in the clickers there? I know to start with the forks but what should I do about the rear because it has low and high speed settings?

Also i bought this bike 2 years ago from a guy that rode it like 10 times he said. I have had it ever since so I have never messed with the suspension oil and all that. How expensive and how often should I change the fork oil? Cause I've never heard of any of my friends changing their fork oil.

The bike is an easy one to service as it is not twin chamber and it is a more dependable platform.

Prices will vary and so will quality regarding the service.

Do you change the oil in your transmission?

Then change the oil in your suspension!

Very basic bike to re-valve also and can be made to work very well without throwing a lot of money at it.

Clickers can be set in the desert or on track.

First play with your fork rebound and tighten it until it starts getting bad by becoming rough in braking bumps etc. At this point it will also start knifing when you corner after hard braking as it will keep the front end of the bike too low from too much rebound.

Back the clicker out a bit until it is acceptable and write the number down. Then loosen it till it gets too fast and bad and do the same thing. You now have two numbers written down, set the Reb in the middle of those numbers and go on to compression.

Same thing.

The high speed on the shock is the last thing you want to adjust as it makes a big difference in how much compression you have.

Set it at stock and when you are done adjusting Reb and Comp you can play with it to see what it does in different terrain.

This is about learning and this is the fastest way to learn what it is all about and you will benefit for as long as you ride.

First play with your fork rebound and tighten it until it starts getting bad by becoming rough in braking bumps etc. At this point it will also start knifing when you corner after hard braking as it will keep the front end of the bike too low from too much rebound.

Back the clicker out a bit until it is acceptable and write the number down. Then loosen it till it gets too fast and bad and do the same thing. You now have two numbers written down, set the Reb in the middle of those numbers and go on to compression.

Same thing.

The high speedicon1.png on the shock is the last thing you want to adjust as it makes a big difference in how much compression you have.

Set it at stock and when you are done adjusting Reb and Comp you can play with it to see what it does in different terrain.

This is about learning and this is the fastest way to learn what it is all about and you will benefiticon1.png for as long as you ride.

Hmm... I like the logic in this approach, thanks!.

I am riding a completley stock 2006 cr125. I weigh 120lbs and am 5'6". I had my race sag set by a kids dad I know and they race. So I think its right but it sits high and i can barely touch still. i have never personally touched the sag but i have messed with the clickers. Also I am located in Lancaster, CA. I'm not sure of any close shops except the general dirt bike shops. Also I have not gone to the track and messed with clickers because it is $25 for one day. So I usually ride the whole time until I'm tired.  Could i just ride out to the desert and test my suspension on a set of whoops and find my happy medium in the clickers there? I know to start with the forks but what should I do about the rear because it has low and high speed settings?

Do you have the Honda owners manual for your bike? If so read the suspension adjustment section SEVERAL times. Then TAKE it with you to an area that you can make adjustments ALL day to see how much you can improve things. Then when you get home read it some more. The Honda manual is as good or better than any suspension info I have seen. Read young man, read! Good luck.  Also, the info from Knowledge seeker is very good. 

Edited by YHGEORGE

Just an FYI... most suspension companies will revalve your suspension for free after you pay for it the first time. You will only pay for oil, and wear items. Cost is relatively low after the initial purchase as your speed changes or you change your application. It is money well spent IMO. Just make sure that the company you choose offers free revalves. 

Do you have the Honda owners manual for your bike? If so read the suspension adjustment section SEVERAL times. Then TAKE it with you to an area that you can make adjustments ALL day to see how much you can improve things. Then when you get home read it some more. The Honda manual is as good or better than any suspension info I have seen. Read young man, read! Good luck. Also, the info from Knowledge seeker is very good.

Just an FYI... most suspension companies will revalve your suspension for free after you pay for it the first time. You will only pay for oil, and wear items. Cost is relatively low after the initial purchase as your speed changes or you change your application. It is money well spent IMO. Just make sure that the company you choose offers free revalves.

I plan on going out to the desert tomorrow and messing with the suspension. I will definitely bring the manual and use that. Me and my friend both want to mess with our suspension the whole time tomorrow haha.

Thank you for the info BDubb106. I will call suspension places and find out which one will do a second revalve for free.

Also say that I didn't want to mess with the clickers myself. The suspension company I choose revalves it to my weight and riding style so I would not need to mess with it? Or would I still need to mess with it after they revalve it an all?

I plan on going out to the desert tomorrow and messing with the suspension. I will definitely bring the manual and use that. Me and my friend both want to mess with our suspension the whole time tomorrow haha.

Thank you for the info BDubb106. I will call suspension places and find out which one will do a second revalve for free.

Also say that I didn't want to mess with the clickers myself. The suspension company I choose revalves it to my weight and riding style so I would not need to mess with it? Or would I still need to mess with it after they revalve it an all?

You will still need to adjust clickers to fine tune. I chose a local company for that very reason. They come out to the track and will tune any bike that has had them do a revalve for free. For everyone else it is $15. You come back to the trailer and tell them what you feel and they will adjust accordingly. Much easier than just turning clickers if you do not know what each does. I learned by watching them and now I find myself making adjustments throughout the day on my own. I would look towards local companies and tuners before you go with a big name company that just throws your suspension on an assembly line. I'm not saying that the big companies don't know what they are doing because that is just not true, but you will get more personalized service from a local tuner that you can speak with in person and will do adjustments on the fly. 

I have heard great things about ESR Suspension in Hesperia, CA - not far from you.  He's been around a long time and has a great reputation.  

ESR Racing

11830 Cromdale 

Hesperia, CA 92344
PH: 760-949-0942

As far as those who offer free revalves after the first, I know both Race Tech and Factory Connection do and I'm sure most other larger ones will as well.  The smaller shops are the ones you'll have to call if you're going that route.

• Like 1

I have heard great things about ESR Suspension in Hesperia, CA - not far from you.  He's been around a long time and has a great reputation.  

ESR Racing

11830 Cromdale 

Hesperia, CA 92344

PH: 760-949-0942

As far as those who offer free revalves after the first, I know both Race Tech and Factory Connection do and I'm sure most other larger ones will as well.  The smaller shops are the ones you'll have to call if you're going that route.

Spot on... I had to search for a while to find one that would offer that service.