Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of getting a 250L

I made a mistake....   Bought the kids bikes and got bit with the bug that I needed a 450R.  So I went out and picked one up, it's been nothing but issues though I now have it in perfect working order.

That said I'm still stuck with a race bike to ride with my kids (70's), it just doesn't work.  So here's my question...

If I sell the 450R (2009) and put the funds towards the 250L, will it provide the power I want when not riding with the kids?

I am 6' 190lb and enjoy rough enduro type trails and hill climbs.  The 450 will pull me just about anywhere I ask it to but even with the oversize rads and heavy flywheel it just doesn't feel right in tight woods.

If nothing else, I'd like some opinions on how this bike does in heavy woods situations.  Any examples of hill climbs\tough trails with a 250 would be appreciated.

From what it sounds like to me and what kind of riding you do ..... the CRF250L will need some mods ... as would any dual sport. 

My bike is a fricken tractor in the woods but,  I have done about everything you can think of to this bike in terms of mods. 

so if you do not mind spending the money for Race Tech suspension and a chain and sprocket set your good to go. 

I ride with a 12 year old on a 150 and I fart around in town on the streets. I am running 13/44 sprockets and the bike come with a 14/40 setup. 

all the other mods are just wants .... this bike is under sprung and way over geared from Honda. 

Oh and by the way ... I absolutely love this bike ...   :thumbsup:  it has taken me awhile to get it the way I want it but now ... I am the weaker link not the bike when it comes to off road ...  :ride:

Here is a pic of mine so far .... almost done but still need some graphics and maybe a seat cover. 

post-327736-0-19054900-1398570430.jpg

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 3

Nice looking bike.   I was also concerned about the rubber.  Most street stuff just doesn't look like it's woods worthy.  Those tired on your bike are a different story but how do they hold up to the street?

Nice looking bike.   I was also concerned about the rubber.  Most street stuff just doesn't look like it's woods worthy.  Those tired on your bike are a different story but how do they hold up to the street?

they ride okay but I really do not expect the back to last long .... too soon for me to tell really ...  :excuseme: I will be happy if I can get one season out of them.  I did some back road highway type riding yesterday.

its a trade off if you want hard core spend the money get hard core if you want to do some modes its a great bike and a lot of fun stock it lacks alittle  I use to race and went to quads for a bit as I get older wanted to ride in woods and alittle road to get there after the mods its all the bike I need

• Like 3

I love my L, but I would never say its a real woods/trail bike, its more of a street bike in dirt bike clothes.  It can definitely go offroad, iv had mine in some nasty stuff, but its no true enduro bike by any means.  The only reason to get an L is for the license plate, if your not gona ride on the road, get an X.  Also the L is not much for hill climbs unless you gear it down like Gnath and then you have to wring it out to go down the highway.  So IMO at that point you may as well just get an X and not worry about riding on the road.

• Like 1

I love my L, but I would never say its a real woods/trail bike, its more of a street bike in dirt bike clothes.  It can definitely go offroad, iv had mine in some nasty stuff, but its no true enduro bike by any means.  The only reason to get an L is for the license plate, if your not gona ride on the road, get an X.  Also the L is not much for hill climbs unless you gear it down like Gnath and then you have to wring it out to go down the highway.  So IMO at that point you may as well just get an X and not worry about riding on the road.

I do want the plate though, which is why I started looking at the L.  Looks like I have some thinking to do.  

• Like 2

I do want the plate though, which is why I started looking at the L.  Looks like I have some thinking to do.  

I was going to buy the "X" but then I thought I did not want it just sitting in the garage waiting for trail days .... The "L" is a very capable off road machine with the right add on's. 

The Race Tech suspension is a must and totally transforms the bike. Tires and gearing are cheap easy mods. Then doing the exhaust and the 305 kit puts you at 26-28 HP. 

A stock CRF250X only has 24 HP and is priced at $7,495.00 new. 

That is where my logic came from when deciding to go with the "L" 

The "L" seems to have the right ergo's for off road and behaves well when properly suspended and being able to lift the front wheel is well ... just dang good fun ...  :p

But, I am a true CRF250L fanboy so my opinions my be biased ....  :lol:

I am just glad I went this route and did not get a competition bike ...  :prof:

• Like 3

I was going to buy the "X" but then I thought I did not want it just sitting in the garage waiting for trail days .... The "L" is a very capable off road machine with the right add on's. 

The Race Tech suspension is a must and totally transforms the bike. Tires and gearing are cheap easy mods. Then doing the exhaust and the 305 kit puts you at 26-28 HP. 

A stock CRF250X only has 24 HP and is priced at $7,495.00 new. 

That is where my logic came from when deciding to go with the "L" 

The "L" seems to have the right ergo's for off road and behaves well when properly suspended and being able to lift the front wheel is well ... just dang good fun ...  :p

But, I am a true CRF250L fanboy so my opinions my be biased ....  :lol:

I am just glad I went this route and did not get a competition bike ...  :prof:

You and your "logic" non-sense! This is a hobby. We apply as little reason and logic as possible. If we didn't we'd all be driving around in prius and checking our retirement funds constantly.

• Like 1

You and your "logic" non-sense! This is a hobby. We apply as little reason and logic as possible. If we didn't we'd all be driving around in prius and checking our retirement funds constantly.

maybe I should have used the word "practicality" or"usefulness"  ....  :excuseme:   I am not good with words I guess ....  :blah:

maybe I should have used the word "practicality" or"usefulness"  ....  :excuseme:   I am not good with words I guess ....  :blah:

:smashpc:  :ride:  :cheers:

• Like 2

You could always get a wr250r?

If we're going down this avenue, just get the KTM.

Edit: Or DRZ

Edited by kray

Haha fair enough. By the time you modded the wr250r the price tag would probably about match that of a KTM. I don't know a lot about the capabilities of the DRZ400, but it seems like people either love it or hate it.

Haha fair enough. By the time you modded the wr250r the price tag would probably about match that of a KTM. I don't know a lot about the capabilities of the DRZ400, but it seems like people either love it or hate it.

A DRZ400S is the answer to all things in life, sadly. You want to go offroad? Done. You want to go onroad? Done. You want power wheelies? Done. You want luggage capabilities? Done. You want light weight? Done. You want a bulletproof tank? Done. You want liquid cooling? Done. You want cheap? Done. Did I mention cheap? Yep, done.

But everyone and their mom rides one. I prefer my little CRF.

• Like 4

While the KTM is nice, I cannot justify paying near the same price for a bike as I did my car.

• Like 3

I thought the "L" was for legal?? So what is the "M" for??? :ride::excuseme: :excuseme:

Motard 

we call them supermoto's but, in reality a supermoto is a full bown MX bike .... putting supermoto tires and wheels on a dual sport is a "Motard"  .... (I think)

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

Motard 

we call them supermoto's but, in reality a supermoto is a full bown MX bike .... putting supermoto tires and wheels on a dual sport is a "Motard"  .... (I think)

good an answer as any  I just wondered is all- :excuseme: -Thanks :thumbsup:

• Like 1