Sign in to follow this  

sprocket reccomendations?

Been waiting on supersproxs for over two months now and have decided to cancel my order and find another brand. Im running a ktm 250exc and would prefer to go with steel sprockets. What brands should i consider? Thanks...

Sun stars are cheaper.

Sidewinder is lifetime guarantee! Which is what I'm running now, just replace chain once a year.

Lifetime?

Holy cow - will have to look into that in a year or so.  (Current sproket is OK and just bought one from the TT store).

• Like 2

Lifetime?

Holy cow - will have to look into that in a year or so. (Current sproket is OK and just bought one from the TT store).

I see no wearing on my sprockets, but the chain seems to get warm at times.

Not bad though.

But ya, if all you ever need again is chains why not?

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 1

But ya, if all you ever need again is chains why not?

Gotta research that.

Ad advertises ti, and I've had some ti parts on a few bicycles - mostly bolts and stuff.  Had a ti rear casette and it wore fairly fast.

I'm wondering if the main part is ti, but the chain-riding surface is steel.

This is pretty cool:

Q6:  Are Sidewinder’s Ti Sprockets made from pure Titanium?

A:  
Sidewinders’ Titanium series of sprockets are not made of pure titanium.  It would be too brittle to function as a sprocket.  We add a number of elements such as chrome-moly, manganese, copper and more to our material to temper the characteristics so it will be super hard but never crack.  Ti-Moly also exhibits magnetic properties unlike pure Ti.

We have never had a Ti-Moly sprocket crack, break or bend in 8 years of production.  There is not another manufacturer on this planet that can make that claim.

• Like 3

And they're a little less than 1/2 the cost of Ironman...interesting.

Their chains sound promising also.

Bookmarking this for next year as I just bought a new chain and sprockets.

• Like 1

Been waiting on supersproxs for over two months now and have decided to cancel my order and find another brand. Im running a ktm 250exc and would prefer to go with steel sprockets. What brands should i consider? Thanks...

Steel won't last nearly as long as Ironman Sprockets, I guarantee it!!  But you'll spend more for Ironman.  Any steel brand you'll be fine, but the Ironman rear sprockets pay for themselves and then some.

If you're a mx'er you should definitely look into these.

I'm running off road and no problems with them at all yet.

I have about 40 hrs on the Ironman and it shows almost no wear.  The chain (OEM) has about 60 hrs on it and has IIRC 4-5mm left to stretch.

I just ordered two Primary Drive aluminum sprockets for $39.99 each, plus a Primary Drive 520 ORH Gold X-Ring Chain $65.43 and a Primary drive front sprocket $8.99.  Reason for two is to set up two different wheels, but the reason for the Primary drive setup is because there has been no perceptible wear on the first identical Primary Drive setup we were running for a year.  Unfortunately, for some scary reason, the bolts on the sprocket came loose and egged out the bolt holes, despite proper torque and blue thread lock  :facepalm:  I think it dug into the ground in a crash, but still . . . .Anyway, other that that, the sprocket still looks new.  The secret is not what the sprocket is made of, it is the chain.  If the chain doesn't stretch (I know, it wears, but you know what I mean) then the sprocket won't wear.  If the chain sucks, the sprocket will deteriorate much faster.  In other words, expensive chain + cheap sprocket is better than expensive sprocket with cheap chain. . . IMO.

How do you know when to change out a sprocket?  How can you tell it's past it's due date?

And they're a little less than 1/2 the cost of Ironman...interesting.

Their chains sound promising also.

Bookmarking this for next year as I just bought a new chain and sprockets.

Whered u find the ti sidewinders for so cheap?

You can't beat an ironman sprocket from dirt tricks. The durability, light weight, and customer service is second to none. I've got over 300 hours on a rear sprocket with hardly any noticeable wear, and there front sprockets last well over 150 hours for many, which is well beyond anything else I've seen. Sidewinder may advertise a lifetime guarantee, but good luck if you have any issues. Their customer service is well below what I consider adequate and had heard similar stories for many others.

I've got over 300 hours on a rear sprocket with hardly any noticeable wear, and there front sprockets last well over 150 hours for many, which is well beyond anything else I've seen. Sidewinder may advertise a lifetime guarantee, but good luck if you have any issues. Their customer service is well below what I consider adequate and had heard similar stories for many others.

That's great.

I haven't heard anything about SideW - thanks for that info.  All things considered guess I'll just stick with the MSR.  At the rate I'm going the one on the bike will last this year maybe next, and I have one NIB as a spare.

Expiration date is stamped on the back of the sprocket.

You'll have to remove it from the wheel to see it though.

What's the date on yours?

Wow, mine expired before I bought it! What a piece of crap! I hate Renthal! I should just take my levers, bars, and sprockets off and melt them down into a pie plate!

Being serious, you can tell your sprockets are worn when the teeth look "hooked" and aren't very symmetrical. Chains aren't that hard to tell as they shouldn't have a lot of slack and you should have enough space between your chain slider and the chain to fit 3 fingers; just like your sister.

I love Ronnie Mac.

• Like 1