Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300 fork's that bad?

I have come across a nice KLX 300 for sale. I weigh 200lb and find w/ just about every bike I have owned a spring change was needed. I plan on using the bike @ local OHV parks. I have read the dampning isn't too good and springs & valves will help but KX forks are the ultimate. So are they really that bad? Do you have to ride super aggressive to notice the short comings or will a novice think they are inferior? Thanks.

I have come across a nice KLX 300 for sale. I weigh 200lb and find w/ just about every bike I have owned a spring change was needed. I plan on using the bike @ local OHV parks. I have read the dampning isn't too good and springs & valves will help but KX forks are the ultimate. So are they really that bad? Do you have to ride super aggressive to notice the short comings or will a novice think they are inferior? Thanks.

I suspect there are many riders that can't tell the difference.  A good tuner will help with valving, oil choice and level.  At 200 lbs you'll definately need springs.  No theya re not that bad.  The emulators will help as well. 

However I have '94 forks and lower triple that I'm gathering parts for to swap in.  $65.  Front wheel I paid $35.  Same caliper as KLX.  $20 wheel bearings.  Plus my tuner will do a total rebuild for $120 plus parts.  $100 for springs.  This includes a tuning session.  He said less than $250 for the rebuild and tune.  So I'll be Approx $450 in better forks.  It'll cost the same amount to rebuild the KLX forks with emulators, bushings etc.  But I have a better setup.

I took my forks and rear shock to a local suspension re-builder. In the front I had gold valves installed, heavier springs installed and the oil level set a bit higher. In the rear I had the shim stack redone and oil replaced. Did not want to spend the money do purchase the correct spring rate on the rear. I have ridden this combination for several years it works pretty well. It is not meant to be a motocross-er nor is it used that way. I ride mostly tight single track trails at moderate speeds and for me it works fine. I paid about $350 back in 04 for these modifications. Have since had them checked and oil changed a few time based on the amount of riding I did.

At 5'10/165# (+ gear), I was fairly content with my 07's suspension, although the front was soft. Then I rode my brothers orange 300XC-W for a day, it ruined me.

Not a fair comparison, but biggest difference (suspension-wise) was how my KLX deflected off rocks and ruts. The same obstacles that knocked me around on the KLX, were barely noticible on his XC.

We rebuilt my forks with stiffer RaceTech springs and Gold Valves, all I can say is...Do It!

It was a drastic improvement, especially for under $200. I had almost no labor charge (6 pack), and got the springs (barely used) from someone on here who went heavier, so not many will get off so cheap. All new parts were going to be around $300, still alot of bang for the buck.

Bike is way more stable/sure-footed in rocky, rutted terrain and far less fatigue after a days ride.

Only downside...I was happy with the shock before, now I can see future improvement coming on that end.

Never ends does it(?)

The good news is you can only go so far in correcting some of the flaws of a compromise bike which in it's day and for the market it was to compete in was really a pretty good offering. I had the opportunity to ride a KTM350 XCW 6 day and yes it does kind of ruin you when going back to a bike that had it's beginning in the late 90's. By doing suspension work you can make your bike a decent handler and with some engine work (I put a BB331 kit in mine) you can make it faster. The bad news is, it will never be a KTM.

• Like 1

I honestly think with the right mods the klx300 can be a great bike.

I did my motor, carb etc

Rear shock is rebuilt and custom valved.

Kx250 forks custom valved, the right springs,

Will it be not be competitive in a race but it will be a very good bike. Mine will be on a dyno the same time as my buddy's ktm300 exc so we'll have real numbers.

And by the way we purchased our bikes for the same amount of money. $1100. His is a 2001 mine a 1998.

To date I have 2200 total into my bike. And I completed all my upgrades that are in my thread. Basically a new top end, big bore, pumper, header, port and polished head. Once I count the forks that will be another $450.

He has over $3000 total in his and he has added a dual sport kit. His has been no upgrades just maint, it was neglected by the previous owner. And it'll need a top end soon.

Once my suspension is sorted I think my bike will hang with him.