California Transfer Plated Bike from AZ to CA

I am looking at a 2012 bike that is currently registered in AZ with a plate. In CA it is a green sticker but not a street legal bike. The person supposedly bought it in CA then regestered it in AZ to get the plate. He claims it is ready to transfer back to CA.

When/If you register it in CA, will it keep the plate or will DMV issue it a green sticker?

Was it ever registered in CA?  Either way it is a crap shoot.  Take it to AAA if you can, may be easier to deal with....

Much easier if you buy it and register the bike out of state and bring it here as a state to state transfer vs a state to state purchase. But if it was registered in CA previously that could kill the plate anyway.

Was it ever registered in CA?  Either way it is a crap shoot.  Take it to AAA if you can, may be easier to deal with....

AAA is clueless with dirtbikes - They'll say sorry, you need to go to DMV.

Unless the bike has the required mileage ( I forgot what it is.....6 - 8K?) that can be substiated it's an uphill battle.

And Jeff has a good point as it appears that it's a previos Cali bike it's in the system as not a "real" outta state bike.

AAA is clueless with dirtbikes - They'll say sorry, you need to go to DMV.

Unless the bike has the required mileage ( I forgot what it is.....6 - 8K?) that can be substiated it's an uphill battle.

And Jeff has a good point as it appears that it's a previos Cali bike it's in the system as not a "real" outta state bike.

Yeah, greater than 7,500 miles.  I agree, it's always an uphill battle no matter where you go, if it's "legal".....

Y wud u want a stupit dirt bike with a license plate you cant keep up wih my lamborghini 

&%$#@!ing assclown dirtbag &%$#@! douchebag :applause:

say that shit to my face one o my bois gonna wreck your salad

Fruit salad bitch :moon:

I am looking at a 2012 bike that is currently registered in AZ with a plate. In CA it is a green sticker but not a street legal bike. The person supposedly bought it in CA then regestered it in AZ to get the plate. He claims it is ready to transfer back to CA.

When/If you register it in CA, will it keep the plate or will DMV issue it a green sticker?

I just got through registering my 07 KLX 250 from MI to CA it aint ez you really do need the 7,500 miles on your od. But in your case if you can get the dealer sales receipt then you shouldn't need the milage because that is a legal 50 state bike.

It depends on what bike it is if you're trying to plate in CA. Probably it would help that you've had it previously plated in another state. Keep us informed, I've wondered how these projects turn out but not many people give follow up posts about what happened after all was said and done. Or not done :rolleyes:

Out of state transfer requires a vin and motor number inspection. That's where things get a bit sticky since one of the things they will check for is a CA ON ROAD emission sticker if below 7500 miles or a 49 states ON ROAD emission sticker if more than 7500. A green sticker bike has neither. Not saying that you won't get an inspector that doesn't catch it but that's what they are supposed to look for.

Thanks for the feedback. Im not even going to bother with it now. It is a 2012 KTM 350XCF. It was bought at a Norcal KTM dealer and then transfered to AZ. So it sounds like its even more likely that DMV will not give it plate. Plus it doesnt even have all the required lighting, tires, etc... so if it needed a inspection no way it would pass.

Although you made your decision see if you can get the guy to register the bike in CA since he is the original owner and lives here. The only thing DMV checked on my bike was motor and Vin # and 50 state leagal sticker. They don't bother with tires or turn signals. Since my bike isn't 50 state leagal they look at the milage but in your case it should be way easier to get it plated as long as the original owner does it himself.

Good luck! Hope you get your wheels soon.

Moral of the story.....don't buy the bike if you want a CA plate on it unless the current owner transfers the title to CA and gets the CA plate BEFORE you buy it.  Or you then buy at your own risk....

• Like 2

I recently bought a NV DRZ 400 that was always street legal. Even this bike they checked for all the stickers as said above. I would pass unless it already has the CA plate. OR, just leave it with the AZ plate. Thats what I did with one of my bikes.

Out of state transfer requires a vin and motor number inspection. That's where things get a bit sticky since one of the things they will check for is a CA ON ROAD emission sticker if below 7500 miles or a 49 states ON ROAD emission sticker if more than 7500. A green sticker bike has neither. Not saying that you won't get an inspector that doesn't catch it but that's what they are supposed to look for.

Yup...  legally it's all about that sticker.  The red sticker, green sticker, c or 3 in the eight digit of the vin is all moot.  Don't have a factory EPA sticker for ON ROAD use, no plate...  PERIOD...  so the law says. Only reason we can still get plates is cause the DMV is clueless...  inconsistent...  and doesn't really give a shit. 

Edited by BOLT aka Jeff
  • Like 1

The KLX250S was a factory dual sport bike. What's your question?