Sign in to follow this  

Timing a 2 Stroke

Alright, so yesterday my buddy asked me if I time my cr125 and I have never heard of that before... Does it help? Is it bad to not time it? And how do I do it?

Thx

>.

Alright, so yesterday my buddy asked me if I time my cr125 and I have never heard of that before... Does it help? Is it bad to not time it? And how do I do it?

Thx

>.

You can advance/retard the ignition timing by rotating the stator plate CW or CCW.   On some bikes I think you can also slightly change the port timing by using thinner/thicker cylinder base gaskets.   Some PV's can also be installed incorrectly resulting in improper PV timing...

• Like 3

Its not hard to do though.

Someone on here will inform you.

You may look at junkmans videos. Check out his channel.

My modded engines I've had done, were all done by engine builders. Its what they do, and do well.

You can advance/retard the ignition timing by rotating the stator plate CW or CCW. On some bikes I think you can also slightly change the port timing by using thinner/thicker cylinder base gaskets. Some PV's can also be installed incorrectly resulting in improper PV timing...

So i also have a problem with the bike flooding at low rpms, would that be the stator timing?

>.

So i also have a problem with the bike flooding at low rpms, would that be the stator timing?

>.

I would check jetting first.  Clean carb, ensure choke circuit isn't passing, etc... 

I would check jetting first. Clean carb, ensure choke circuit isn't passing, etc...

I cleaned it and it still has the problem, so I am getting a rebuild kit. Also would the PC pipe make a difference? I know PC always puts recommended jets for their pipes but if it had stock would it flood?

>.

I cleaned it and it still has the problem, so I am getting a rebuild kit. Also would the PC pipe make a difference? I know PC always puts recommended jets for their pipes but if it had stock would it flood?

>.

Usually you have to go a couple main sizes leaner and maybe drop the needle a notch.  Pilot usually stays the same...  But I would suspect jetting (without knowing the history of your bike) over anything else:

http://www.procircuit.com/jettingspecs.htm

Are you sure it isnt fouling plugs at low RPMs? Ive had good luck on low RPMs on my KX250, but I dont think a 125 will do as well. How low RPMs? 2 hours of chugging barely above idle or dropping the RPMs into a tight corner?

Also, could be fouling plugs. How do those look?

You can set your timing with a dial indicator and the owners manual however your problem sounds carb related.

You can do change your timing like this , with these tools but if you don't know how leave the mark on the stator and mark on the inner case lined up. You have a carb/jetting problem it sounds like . 

You can do change your timing like this , with these tools but if you don't know how leave the mark on the stator and mark on the inner case lined up. You have a carb/jetting problem it sounds like .

Yeah that's what I thought

>.

Are you sure it isnt fouling plugs at low RPMs? Ive had good luck on low RPMs on my KX250, but I dont think a 125 will do as well. How low RPMs? 2 hours of chugging barely above idle or dropping the RPMs into a tight corner?

Also, could be fouling plugs. How do those look?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401232117.112435.jpg

Black

>.

Are there any aftermarket ignition systems out there for dirt bikes that improves performance?