Sign in to follow this  

Foaming trans oil

My trans oil is foaming and turning pinkish white. I have always put the recommended Honda hp trans oil in it. I had a problem with it about 3 mouths ago when my water pump seal went out and the coolant level dropped dramatically and it was getting into the trans making it all nasty. I took the right crank case cover off and let it all dry out and I fixed the water pump seal. Now ever since then it has foamed but the coolant level has dropped very very little. Do you think that just that little bit of coolant is making the trans foam or is it just coming out the over flow? If not is some water coming in through the tranny breather hose? I want to fix this problem so it dont really mess up because our family is taking a big trip out to Colorado.

Let us know which gasket or seal is bad I just checked mine and it is milky too.

ok I defiantly will. Are you losing coolant?

We didn't use the specific Honda tool to put it in. We just used the correct sized socket that would fit it.

They weren't that bad it just takes time. If you don't have one get a seal puller it destroys the seal but its bad it the first place. Also high temp assembly lube you can get that at a local auto parts store.

Did you use a new gasket for the side cover? Also, I have done a top end on this bike. If it were leaking through the head or base gasket wouldn't that cause water in the engine oil instead of the tranny oil?

Edited by mdwsr

Yeah that would be a whole different problem! Yes I bought a new right crank case gasket.

Edited by dirtman48

Well I found all the parts on crfsonly but I think I may give mine a ride or two before I tear into it. There is a creek crossing on some trails I ride and I wonder if the water may have come up through the breather tube instead. My bike only has about 40 hours on it. I read somewhere that this is possible.

Yeah mine has been like this for a while so I am gunna tear into it soon. I have read that some where too. I wonder if some how there would be a way to reroute the hose with out must closing it off so water could not get in there if it even is?

I flushed mine last night and put in fresh oil, after an hour long ride today it is milky again. From the research I've done it's most likely the water pump seals. I'm ordering a kit from crfsonly tomorrow. Bummer. It would really be a bummer if I had a CO trip planned heh.

Yeah that's what I did with mine last time. But my was milky just after a 10 min ride around the house!

Haha yeah but at least it didn't get all messed up out there!

Did you check the shaft if it was grooved when changing the seal? if it is grooved and you changed the seal it will still leak. It sucks cause that shaft is something like a hundred bucks. Usually it's the shaft, the bearings , the 2 seals , the waterpump gaskets and sometimes the clutch gasket that has to be changed too. ..just keep that thought as a might be problem.. also that you might have put one of the seals in backward. I've done that too. 

Did you check the shaft if it was grooved when changing the seal? if it is grooved and you changed the seal it will still leak. It sucks cause that shaft is something like a hundred bucks. Usually it's the shaft, the bearings , the 2 seals , the waterpump gaskets and sometimes the clutch gasket that has to be changed too. ..just keep that thought as a might be problem.. also that you might have put one of the seals in backward. I've done that too.

We changed the shaft and we did every thing right.

You can get the whole kit from crfsonly for like $150:

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/25_111/products_id/5223

Are you going to buy a right crank case gasket? If I was you I would get one.

Alright good because when we took it apart last time the gasket just disintegrated.