Sign in to follow this  

kx85 to a supermini questions

I have a 2008 kx85 that is my sons. We were selling it because he is now 13 and 5'9" and 130lbs. He was wanting a big bore 125 or a ktm 150sx. We decided to put a fresh top end in it becuase it was a little flat, well we found a huge gouge that will have to be repaired before we sell it Now he is considering changing it over to a 107 and will need to go with the bigger wheels of a 100. Does teh swingarm have to be changed first off? I have a ton of parts I will be taking off and listing for sell to help cover his cost of the redo. We do not race, but he is an above average rider that is wanting to race at some point. We mainly run trails and local mx tracks now. Any insight will be appreciated

I have tried looking them up so far 2 different websites have listed 2 different part #'s for what I am looking for. Maybe one replaced the oem # with thier own.I was looking for an answer tonight, but Ill wait until the dealership opens tomorrow if I dont get an answer. If someone had made the change before it would be an easy answer for them. 

Edited by Tacpayne

The dog bones are different just by a small amount .

The CDI is different

Different size counter sprocket

The frame is like 25mm approx longer at the headset

Drop the forks in the triples

If you aren't having the cylinder ported then get it ported.

There are people that know way more about making that bike rip here. Do a search.

I did the same thing but for myself not my kid. I'm not a little dude, just wanted a light fun bike to play on

Still have to install a crank.

Hot Rods has horrible customer service but make a + 2mm crank. Cranks on these bikes are like Bic lighters. May as well put one in for the boy to go with his new cylinder.

Get a Black Ops Coil too

Guts makes a tall seat

Have you considered selling it for what you ca get for it and buying a 125??

We already have a 125, just gonna do something fun with this one. Besides I have a 9yr old also...

The dog bones are different just by a small amount .

The CDI is different

Different size counter sprocket

The frame is like 25mm approx longer at the headset

Drop the forks in the triples

If you aren't having the cylinder ported then get it ported.

There are people that know way more about making that bike rip here. Do a search.

I did the same thing but for myself not my kid. I'm not a little dude, just wanted a light fun bike to play on

Still have to install a crank.

Hot Rods has horrible customer service but make a + 2mm crank. Cranks on these bikes are like Bic lighters. May as well put one in for the boy to go with his new cylinder.

Get a Black Ops Coil too

Guts makes a tall seat

I sent his jug and top end to Forward motion for a 107 kit, I went with teh mo better porting. I am doing quite a bit to the bike now while I wait on the top end including the crank

We already have a 125, just gonna do something fun with this one. Besides I have a 9yr old also...

Oh, OK.  Well, good luck with the rebuild.

You had the right people do the cylinder work. It's going to rip. Ask what the difference is between the cdi of the 85. I'm told they are different but I don't know why.

I have a Guts tall seat for mine. It is pretty nice. It may be worth it to look at if the boy is

5,9"