Sign in to follow this  

TTR 230 oil

I have a 2013 TTR 230 and I was wondering what oil I should use. It calls for 10w-30 or 20w-40 oil. I was looking at Pro Honda GN4 10w-30 oil. I was wondering if this is good. Also what the difference in trans oil and engine oil? One more thing how much oil do I need to put in my bike?

P.S. Just moved and can't find my manual

Honda oil is fine.  It holds 1.0 liter or 1.1 liter if you change the filter.

The engine and transmission share oil so you need to make sure you use engine oil and not gear lube.  10/30 if colder 20/40 if hotter weather.

Do more research. Can't remember right now but most 10-30 has friction modifiers and that bad for the wet clutch.

I use 10-40 castrol. No friction modifiers and think most 10-40 doesn't have it. Yamaha brand from the dealer 10-30 is good but check to make sure.

Some key words to look for on the little certificate seal on the back of the oil is " energy saving". You DON'T want that.

Others can chime in with the actual code to look for.

Most any 15-40 diesel oil is okay too. I use Rotella T. Also comes in synthetic varieties if you want. As DG40 stated, anything that has "Energy Conserving" or "Energy Saving" or anything like that in a seal logo on the bottle could result in issues with the clutch.