Sign in to follow this  

Rad fluid leaking

I just got a 2012 ktm 350xcf. Love the bike but as soon as I got it I drained the stock coolant and put engine ice in it. I properly flushed the system before I put it in there. Now even if I just crank the bike up when it's cold for 30 seconds, the engine ice pours out of the weep hole. Why's it doing this? Every time I ride I have to put new coolant in. I'm kind of skeptical it's the cap because it didn't do this before I put the new coolant in it.

Thanks for the advice guys

Subscribed. I don't know why it's doing it, but I'm having the same problem on my 13 450. Curious to see if anyone knows the fix cause I'm getting tired of adding coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

Subscribed. I don't know why it's doing it, but I'm having the same problem on my 13 450. Curious to see if anyone knows the fix cause I'm getting tired of adding coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

Did it start doing that after you put new coolant in it?

I just got a 2012 ktm 350xcf. Love the bike but as soon as I got it I drained the stock coolant and put engine ice in it. I properly flushed the system before I put it in there. Now even if I just crank the bike up when it's cold for 30 seconds, the engine ice pours out of the weep hole. Why's it doing this? Every time I ride I have to put new coolant in. I'm kind of skeptical it's the cap because it didn't do this before I put the new coolant in it.

Thanks for the advice guys

Alright, so my 92 cr125 poured coolant out of the weeping hole and this is the fix... The waterpump seal is shot. After sitting with coolant in it the seals get eaten away and start to leak, so to fix you have to pull the crank case off and take apart the waterpump there will be 2 seals, the first one is the waterpump seal, the second is the oil seal. I would recommend getting a rebuild kit for maybe 100 bucks and replace the whole thing

>.

I'm sure you checked this ,but could you have to much Floyd in your radiator?had the same problem when I first got my 11 350xcf. I was used to 09 kaw 450 and the full coolant level is above the radiator fins, but not my ktm. The full coolant level is about 3/16 below the fins. I asked everyone that I knew that had ktm why mine was overheating and losing antifreeze at idle or as soon as I stopped during riding, but no one could tell me. Once I read the owner manual and made sure the fluid was just below the rad fins my problem went away. Hope it's that simple fellas

I'm sure you checked this ,but could you have to much Floyd in your radiator?had the same problem when I first got my 11 350xcf. I was used to 09 kaw 450 and the full coolant level is above the radiator fins, but not my ktm. The full coolant level is about 3/16 below the fins. I asked everyone that I knew that had ktm why mine was overheating and losing antifreeze at idle or as soon as I stopped during riding, but no one could tell me. Once I read the owner manual and made sure the fluid was just below the rad fins my problem went away. Hope it's that simple fellas

Yeah that's probably it.. Cause I fill it up to the neck every time. Thanks!

It was the problem with mine. Finding out that Ktms are a little different from Jap bikes. It's been a learning curve for me. Sorry for the typos. My phone puts words in for me and sometimes I don't catch them.

Never thought of trying that , see what happens when I get home from this hitch

I'm not 100% sure, but my 09 450 sxf does it too so I did some reading and found another forum where a guy explained that turning the water pump seal around and installing it the opposite way KTM installs at factory fixes it.  I know seals only work one way and it kind of made sense the way he explained it.  Here's the link I read.  Not sure if he's right or not.  http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769378