Sign in to follow this  

**FUEL ECONOMY AND BREAK IN PEROID**

Hey guys,

I just bought a new CRF250L and I LOVE IT!!! I've got about 90 miles on it so far... 

Questions:

1.)What is your average fuel economy?  I rode it off the lot with 2 miles on it and the blinking gas symbol came on at mile 90. I filled it up, which took 1.5 gallons.

2.) What type of gas do i need to put in the bike? unleaded? unleaded pro? premium?

3.) What is the proper break in period and how hard should i run the engine?

Thanks so much guys!!

I ride mine like a stole it- :facepalm: -and get 60mpg most of the time--No major engine mods

Welcome Luke BTW-- This site as much to offer--stick around you'll like the ride :thumbsup: I use regular with stabil in it myself :thumbsup:

Edited by USMCVietVet
  • Like 4

First off, welcome, and CONGRATS!

My MPG isn't great, my light is on usually about 70/80 miles, so you're already doing better than me. But I'm wrenching it a lot. I ride pretty hard.

I use premium, mostly out of habit (owned many sport bikes). Not sure if it needs it or not. Guess I should check haha.

I think during break in, just take it easy and stay away from steady rpms. Don't go on freeway and ride at 70mph for miles on end. Speed up, slow down, etc. Honestly though, I've never done much for a break in, mostly rode like I normally do, and have no problems. It's a Honda, it'll be fine!

• Like 3

I get about 51-56 out of my 305 kit with 13/44's

You can burn the cheap gas if you want but, I always buy the best offered at said station

You really do not need to be concerned with a break in period ... just ride it !!!!

Welcome to the club and enjoy your new ride. B)

• Like 2

i ride it how i ride it...  kind of like i stole it cause i don't really own it yet!!! the Honda does, so i guess i am always on the run...

don't lug it (slow speed, low rpm's, high gear) and no steady throttle stuff...  don't ping it off the rev limiter either... hahahah 

honda says 600 miles... then first service...  do what they say at the minimum...  keep receipts for warranty reasons (if need be)...

i got around 65mpg stock, but now i get 55-60mpg with stage 1 and i am running 70mph plus, most of the time...   you can see in my sig all that is done to her...  i run premium gas... you don't have to.. you can run regular says honda, but for a $1 more a tank full, i'll run the good stuff...

the gas light will come on around 80-90 miles in... then like you said, you will only need 1.5 gallons...  this is normal... and this is good...  you don't want to run a Fuel Injectied bike down to "E"...  the fuel cools the fuel pump...  (don't be scared, i don't mean do it once and your fuel pump will detonate, but don't make it a habit either.... )

and just so you know, the number one thing to do is use the search feature up on the top right hand corner...  it will help you find what you need and weed through all the fun and very informative posts...  their are plenty of tire threads to check out, aftermarket parts, mild to the wild... its all here... then there is the recovery room where we can talk about whatever and chill out with the guys and girls...  

enjoy and be safe...

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 3

Luke do your first oil change b/f 600 miles --i did mine at 400 and it looked like dirty water--not quality oil--Don't worry bout the valves either --we here have found they seem to be fine --gap wise--gas mileage will improve most likely over time--mine did!! ride safe :thumbsup::ride:

• Like 3

I agree ... changed mine at 400 and it looked bad ... installed the stage one ... changed 500 miles later and installed the 305 .... changed 200 miles later when I did the damper.... ready for another now at a total of 1500 miles on the bike and the 305 is about broke in.

• Like 1

400 miles?! Slackers haha. I did my first oil at 393 :D It was pretty bad, glad I changed it early. Bike didn't "feel" right so I changed it. Felt better after. It's weird, but I can tell by the way my bikes run if they need an oil change.

• Like 2

I run premium. I figure why not? cheap insurance?

love my bike, don't think it gets great mileage however. I don't consider myself hard on my bike.

This bike will get about 64 mpg after you get some miles on it and you keep it stock ... some claim to get mid 70's but I am not too sure I believe it as I rode mine stock for the first 400 miles and kept track and if memory serves me correct .... 67 may have been my highest ever. 

currently 80 miles burns 1.5 gallons and that comes out to 53.333333 mpg 

• Like 1

400 miles?! Slackers haha. I did my first oil at 393 :D It was pretty bad, glad I changed it early. Bike didn't "feel" right so I changed it. Felt better after. It's weird, but I can tell by the way my bikes run if they need an oil change.

I can feel it in the tranny .... the bike shifts much better after an oil change ....  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hmmm. Am I doing something wrong if I'm getting 76 mpg in mixed dirt and road riding?

Didn't really believe it until the third tank. All stock so leaned out for sure.

As far as break in...ride the heck out of it and don't worry. Hard to ride a 250 in the street safely and not use all the engine!

You won't hurt it.

IMHO manufacturers specify break in for your software more than their hardware. New owners probably more likely to crash on an unfamiliar machine and new tires.

With modern cylinder coatings you do not need to let the rings do your final hone slowly like a cast iron antique.

Anybody seen the Ferrari video where they assemble the motor, do a full power dyno run, then drop it in the chassis to ship?

Changed the oil at 400 and it needed it by then.

Some must watch while others must sleep

• Like 2

I;m getting mine next week, i'll change oil and filter at 100, then 200, then 400, in my opinion an early oil change has to be worth it, that's when the oil will have the most metal in it !, just my opinion guys.

• Like 3

This bike will get about 64 mpg after you get some miles on it and you keep it stock ... some claim to get mid 70's but I am not too sure I believe it as I rode mine stock for the first 400 miles and kept track and if memory serves me correct .... 67 may have been my highest ever. 

currently 80 miles burns 1.5 gallons and that comes out to 53.333333 mpg 

I'm consistently getting 65mpg out of mine with the 305 BB (and all other mods in my sig) on stock gearing and stock tires. I did up the EJK numbers and for using more fuel it's getting better mpg. I need to pull my seat and look at where I ended up with those.

OP's questions...

1.)What is your average fuel economy?  When stock I started at around 50-55mpg then settled to 60mpg on stock gearing and tires. As noted above, even with the 305 kit I'm at 65mpg now with a couple thousand miles on my bike.

2.) What type of gas do i need to put in the bike? "Need" I believe is 87, I run 89.

3.) What is the proper break in period and how hard should i run the engine? As noted above don't beat it, lug it or keep at a set rpm/speed for long periods. Enjoy it and rev it up a bit through the range.

:ride:

• Like 2

Man, I must have a really heavy throttle hand. I average 50mpg lol.

maybe we broke ours in wrong ....  :p  I only get 53.333333 but, either my boy is on the back for a combined payload of 335 lbs or I am hot rodding because he is not on the bike ...  :lol:

• Like 3