Sign in to follow this  

Test your knowledge and improve mine.

Does the rubber band that goes between the rim and the inner tube go over or under  the rim lock?  Yeah, I know, my knowledge needs a lot of improving.  Thanks.

Well, your question is misleading over/under in description

rim

rim band

rim lock

tube 

tire (and rimlock)

It's there to prevent spoke nipple damage to the tube

I don't like the rim lock underneath the rubber strap. Some guys do it though. I think it depends on how you install your tires.

So some people actually run the rim protector on top of the rim lock?

that's all i've ever done, for the past 34 years of riding...

Under after 26yrs of racing and 15yrs working as a mechanic(not anymore) I've never seen one over from standard. Use tape and toss the rubber strip :) 

MM

"DUCT"

LOL didn't know what you people from the USA call it. Here in Aussie land its duct tape,cloth tape or my favorite 100mph tape :)

Edited by MartyMOOSE

The Rim Strip is intended to protect the Inner Tube from the sharp protrusions of the spokes etc. The rim lock goes under this band. It really can't be installed any way BUT under the rim strip unless you were to poke a hole in the strip for the fastening bolt.

RZ Rob

The Rim Strip is intended to protect the Inner Tube from the sharp protrusions of the spokes etc. The rim lock goes under this band. It really can't be installed any way BUT under the rim strip unless you were to poke a hole in the strip for the fastening bolt.

RZ Rob

This

This

x2

But I'm not sure it really matters, as long as the rim strip is correctly centered in the rim and covers all the spoke nipples.

• Like 1

Because the rim strip can be a pain in the ass I either pull it and use some high quality duct tape OR I just tape the part of the rim strip with the hole for the valve stem. Then cut a hole with a knife. Now the rim strip does not move around when you are trying to get the valve stem through.

Because the rim strip can be a pain in the ass I either pull it and use some high quality duct tape OR I just tape the part of the rim strip with the hole for the valve stem. Then cut a hole with a knife. Now the rim strip does not move around when you are trying to get the valve stem through.

Holy crap.  Such a simple idea... wish I'd have been doing that all these years, would have saved me a bunch of hassle.  Fighting the rim strip moving can be a serious nuisance.  :banghead:

Thanks for the tip!