Sign in to follow this  

Questions About Buying/Selling a KTM

I've been looking long and hard for either a 250 or 300 XC or XC-W. I have heard nothing but great things about this bike.

These bikes are not plentiful, there's just a handful for sale out there. Two things I have noticed in the two months I have been looking.

1. They're expensive. People are asking a lot for these bikes. (06-08)

2. They're not selling. Every time I go on Craigslist there's the same bikes for sale and they're not selling. I confirm it by emailing and asking if the bike is available. So my concern/question is this.

It's a very interesting market out there for these KTM bikes. Is it because they are so expensive (sellers are expecting too high of a price)? Or is the KTM buyer more of a niche market? Less buyers?

Can anyone with some experience (not just guesses) possibly shed some light on this?

I really would like to buy a KTM but I do get concerned about unloading it when I'm ready to buy a different model.

There is no rule on certain brands, some sell for higher prices than others depending on supply and demand.

Bottom line, offer what your willing to pay for it.  Remember the seller is at the mercy of the buyer, your in control.

Edited by BigYZF

I've been looking long and hard for either a 250 or 300 XC or XC-W. I have heard nothing but great things about this bike.

These bikes are not plentiful, there's just a handful for sale out there. Two things I have noticed in the two months I have been looking.

2. They're not selling. Every time I go on Craigslist there's the same bikes for sale and they're not selling. I confirm it by emailing and asking if the bike is available. So my concern/question is this.

It's a very interesting market out there for these KTM bikes. Is it because they are so expensive (sellers are expecting too high of a price)? Or is the KTM buyer more of a niche market? Less buyers?

Can anyone with some experience (not just guesses) possibly shed some light on this?

I really would like to buy a KTM but I do get concerned about unloading it when I'm ready to buy a different model.

How much are they going for in your area?

I didn't think that there would be any in my local area, and low and behold there is.  It's a 2006 300XC for $2800.  I've never priced these before, but that doesn't sound that far out of line for a bike of this vintage:

http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/4487471786.html

CADman_KS

Big YZF:

I totally agree with you. But the interesting thing, based on supply and demand, you would think these KTM's would sell reasonably quick due to the lack of supply. This doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited by joehicks

I totally agree with you. But the interesting thing, based on supply and demand, you would think these KTM's would sell reasonably quick due to the lack of supply. This doesn't seem to be the case.

Yea its funny how the market works. We all get fooled by it at times.  Just offer a price below what they are asking and let it fester..  If they really need to sell they will contact you. Set yourself a limit and dont go above it.  Remember there is allways a good deal to be had out there, just need to be patient.

Carman:

Everything I'm finding within a 100 mile radius of Sacramento are all mid 3000's.

Example: http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/4491231090.html

My concern isn't so much the price but that they aren't selling.

Sorry to jump in.  Dude, people allways ask high to give them negotiating room.  Who cares that they are not selling, if you want one start bidding.

Again, it's not so much what they are asking. I have negotiated the price down on quite a few bikes.

My bigger question is, why aren't these particular bikes selling? If they are asking such high prices you would think they would be a hot item? It just seems a bit backwards to me.

Edited by joehicks

It's because sellers don't want to lose money so they hold out for their price. Eventually the bike sells or is taken off the market. I waited around for months to get a 400 and finally gave up and got a different model. Be prepared to lose money when you sell. It's part of the process. Bikes only go down in value

Edited by stanmerrell

Just go in with a low offer. It will often be taken when things have been for sale for a while. I just bought a DH mtb for $850 when the seller wanted $1200. I know its not a KTM , but just showing people will come down a lot. Good luck.