Sign in to follow this  

ACT Wide Ratio Gears - Only 5th gear

Hello everyone,

You've probably heard about the ACT Wide Ratio Gears for our beloved DRZ 400.

For those who haven't, you basically get a set of gearwheels that you put in place of the original gearwheels (serious engine disassembly required). The ACT gears are "taller" than the OEM ones, meaning you get the same speed at less RPM (or more speed at the same RPM).

Here's a graph (from the ACT guy's thread here on ThumperTalk):

shiftpointcomparison-1.jpg

I'm happy with the gear spacing from 1st to 4th, all I want is a taller 5th gear for overland cruising. So I need a set of 5th gear ACT gearwheels... Even though the shift from 4th gear OEM to 5th gear ACT would probably suck a bit.

This way, I could keep close gear ratios from 1st to 4th for off-road riding, while using a taller 5th gear for long distance travel (with less engine strain or more speed).

I went ahead and contacted ACT in order to find out whether they'd sell me a set of individual 5th gear gearwheels. The guy who talked to me was very patient told me he even asked the CEO. However, they won't sell separate gears.

In my opinion, this would be the best (and most cost-effective!) way to improve our DRZs' cruising ability. The price for a set of ACT gears is $620 (at Wheeling Cycle Supply)... If they were to sell only 5th gear, it'd be so much less than that.

So, what do you say? Any of you interested in this? Maybe we can get together and convince the people from ACT to sell 5th gear in a separate kit!

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Paul_

Having  installed 3 sets of ACT gears, Ridden several DRZ's with the ACT gear set,.. No, I would not like or recommend a 5th gear option only.

How so?

well, I think the biggest issue with this is the cost, you get what you pay for so quality cost so I am OK with that, you got the gear set, plus the modified shift forks, then finding someone to do the work properly, even with only the fifth cog, I think you still need to mod the shift forks

I have got all my farkles done on my bike so I am ready to start modding the motor, doing my 3x3 mod this week

I run a Kush Sprockets 41 tooth on back on my S model to help reduce revs and increase mileage but would like that 6th gear that I am always looking for that the whole kit provides, this would be my last mod to do but it will happen eventually, I would love just the overdrive fifth but since I live near Erik and I most likely would use him to perform this I would get the whole kit but the only 5th gear kit is a good idea

How so?

1: Having a higher 5th gear that is a terrible split (large gap)from 4th is a waste.

2: Having to go through the hassle or pay someone to modify the case, shift forks and install the gear(s) and not get the benefit of the full ACT gear set is a waste of time, effort and advanced modification the ACt gears bring to the DRZ platform

3: Spending cash on a partial gear set (one gear) for a partial fix to the problem is foolish at best. 

• Like 1

well, I think the biggest issue with this is the cost, you get what you pay for so quality cost so I am OK with that, you got the gear set, plus the modified shift forks, then finding someone to do the work properly, even with only the fifth cog, I think you still need to mod the shift forks

I have got all my farkles done on my bike so I am ready to start modding the motor, doing my 3x3 mod this week

I run a Kush Sprockets 41 tooth on back on my S model to help reduce revs and increase mileage but would like that 6th gear that I am always looking for that the whole kit provides, this would be my last mod to do but it will happen eventually, I would love just the overdrive fifth but since I live near Erik and I most likely would use him to perform this I would get the whole kit but the only 5th gear kit is a good idea

You can mod the shift forks yourself, just some grinding required as far as I've understood! ;)

1: Having a higher 5th gear that is a terrible split (large gap)from 4th is a waste.

2: Having to go through the hassle or pay someone to modify the case, shift forks and install the gear(s) and not get the benefit of the full ACT gear set is a waste of time, effort and advanced modification the ACt gears bring to the DRZ platform

3: Spending cash on a partial gear set (one gear) for a partial fix to the problem is foolish at best. 

Why would be a 5th gear with a huge gap from 4th a waste, rather than a less comfortable approach to achieving some kind of "overdrive"?

Did you consider that different people have different riding styles and thus individual requirements towards their gearing?

To me, the full set of ACT gears would be no "benefit" as you described it... I don't want any wide-ratio gears, and I need it that way for the type of riding I do. However, because I also like to commute and travel long distances with that one bike I have, I need some way to calm down the engine at high speed. This is where the ACT 5th gear would be the best solution currently available.

Edited by Paul_

I too would love just a taller 5th gear,  as 1-4 are great IMO,   a taller 5th for around $110 bucks or so would be a great upgrade imo.

• Like 1

You can grab a set of stock third gears, reverse them, machine them down to a thinner width.  Put them in and you get a gear ratio ALMOST as high as the ACT 5th gear.  However; where the hell do you find just a 3rd gear?

Edit: I am thinking you could order it from a suzuki microfiche from a suzuki dealer... or even just buy a full tranny set off ebay.

Edited by iggy320
  • Like 2

Do the whole box, the ratios of the ACT box are what the DRZ should have had to begin with, I have a lower first, sameish third and a taller fifth with 15/50 gearing on trail rims, (previously it was 14/41 on the same rims and it ran out of gears even as a 400), to much work involved not to do the whole job properly, and the step from 4th to fifth will be stupidly wide. I will never regret spending $1100 NZ dollars just for the gears.

• Like 1

You can grab a set of stock third gears, reverse them, machine them down to a thinner width.  Put them in and you get a gear ratio ALMOST as high as the ACT 5th gear.  However; where the hell do you find just a 3rd gear?

Edit: I am thinking you could order it from a suzuki microfiche from a suzuki dealer... or even just buy a full tranny set off ebay.

That actually sounds like an idea worth trying! Used DRZ transmissions go for around $100 on eBay.

One thing though... Don't the gears have some kind of surface coating that would be destroyed in the process?

Do the whole box, the ratios of the ACT box are what the DRZ should have had to begin with, I have a lower first, sameish third and a taller fifth with 15/50 gearing on trail rims, (previously it was 14/41 on the same rims and it ran out of gears even as a 400), to much work involved not to do the whole job properly, and the step from 4th to fifth will be stupidly wide. I will never regret spending $1100 NZ dollars just for the gears.

I'm thinking, there's people who can't or don't want to spend that much money on a full set of gears. For those people, it'd be nice of ACT to offer a separate 5th gear.

Of course there'd be that disproportionate gap from OEM 4th to ACT 5th, but I guesstimate that would be bearable. Especially if one (like me) is totally happy with the OEM gear ratios.

Edited by Paul_

Yeah , I have no interest with a lower first gear, even with 15/44 gearing,even slighter taller wouldnt bother me much, but lower definitely would. So I concur, some would be very happy with just a slightly taller 5th gear.

But then there are cheaper ways as mentioned, like 15/42 or 43.

Edited by Spud786

I wouldn't be mess'in with trying to change out 1 gear.....

Do yourself a favour and install the whole Actman package, it's designed to work with stock torque curves....

Once installed, you will wish you did this a long time ago

Edited by Craigo 485sm

I wouldn't be mess'in with trying to change out 1 gear.....

Do yourself a favour and install the whole Actman package, it's designed to work with stock torque curves....

Once installed, you will wish you did this a long time ago

I like the closer-ratio OEM gears for dirt riding. As this is my only bike, I need a taller 5th gear for commuting and the like.

I'm convinced that the whole set of ACT gears is very well made and would work out just nicely. It's just that I don't want my gears to be any wider.

This guy here did it:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/801685-727-ratio-5th-gear/

Seems to be working out!

The ACT wide ratio gear set is not as well made as stated. One TT member here has had to open up his case after the set has been in there awhile on a Eddie S big bore build and the gears are dramatically worn. Should last for years. Not less than a year. He is trying to contact Dirk/ACTman over this problem. I have a set in a box waiting for install. Not good to hear of their failure after purchase. I jumped on these when they first came out. Bought two sets and gave one set as a gift to a highly skilled mechanic friend. He has decided not to use them. I want to but my build has stalled due to family/financial trouble. Now what do I do? Install them to only have them fail or sell them off to someone who wants to take a chance.

• Like 2

The ACT wide ratio gear set is not as well made as stated. One TT member here has had to open up his case after the set has been in there awhile on a Eddie S big bore build and the gears are dramatically worn. Should last for years. Not less than a year. He is trying to contact Dirk/ACTman over this problem. I have a set in a box waiting for install. Not good to hear of their failure after purchase. I jumped on these when they first came out. Bought two sets and gave one set as a gift to a highly skilled mechanic friend. He has decided not to use them. I want to but my build has stalled due to family/financial trouble. Now what do I do? Install them to only have them fail or sell them off to someone who wants to take a chance.

How about see what the outcome is from the manufacture?

What about not assuming it was the gears when only ONE incident is known?..  (or do you know of additional reports? )

It could be.....

1. Improper lube used
  2. Lube ruined by water emulsification ( failed water crossing kind of thing)
  3. Single incident of manufacture issue on a single batch of gears... IOW it may not be the design, nor the specified manufacture process, but a simple mistake in manufacture that only affects one batch.
  4. Improper assembly
  5. Failure to remove grinding material after case or shift fork MOD's
  6. Foreign debris in the case from a previous transmission or motor failure.
  7. Lube ruined by gas dilution 

Or it could be a design failure.. that the manufacturer will stand by and correct. 

Its not hard to get ahold of ACT...you pick up a phone and call.. I've done it several times. 

Would this person with the ACT gears at issue care to make an appearance here? 

Post some pictures of the gears?

Describe the condition of the motor before install

Name who installed the gears?

Describe how, were the case and shift forks were modified?

Name the type of lube used in the motor

Describe any events where water may have been introduced into the motor

Describe any events where gas may have leaked into the motor?

Describe how many miles were on the transmission and motor before ACT gear install.

Tell us if new transmission bearings were installed as part of the gear install?

Love to get the full story on this if you can assist. 

• Like 1

Erik. PM sent. Sisneros full build. Details of build by him unknown to me. Results were relayed from bike owner. Damage was found after crank or connecting rod bearing failure. If that contributed to the gear damage unknown by me.

Erik. PM sent. Sisneros full build. Details of build by him unknown to me. Results were relayed from bike owner. Damage was found after crank or connecting rod bearing failure. If that contributed to the gear damage unknown by me.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Thanks Jim

on my sm with 15/41  I already need to go up to 50mph-80km/h  (best would be 55mph) to shift 5th in order for the engine not to lug at too low rpm.

and my engine is 462 since the gear install

I wouldn't like to ride 55mph in 4th on the stock gearing.

I needed to reopen my engine last month (caused by the balancer key broke and the balancer gear seized on the shaft)

I inspect the gears while the engine was open...they were looking very good and not much wear. well nothing that was to be worried about... ever.

I have put 3K miles since I installed the gear last year.

When I go riding in the dirt and switch to my 18/21:  I go 15/47 and it's still great to ride even thight single track.

Edited by maxpat82
  • Like 1