Sign in to follow this  

Blue smoke

Probably worn Rings or bad valve guides guides but ...

if I was going 104 and came quickly of the throttle , if the cam chain was loose (MCCT) could I have skipped a tooth and this is the root of the problem?

I never noticed smoke before this incident. The black drz i was racing ( didnt know him) got smoked by me but now im smoking :(

• Like 1

what is the level on your dip stick? coolant level good? does it just constantly smoke when your riding? your description of your problem is very vague.

Edited by fuentes52

was on my phone earlier... hate typing with that thing.

it blows light puffs of blue smoke while idling... larger puffs if i rev it (and clear it out?)

i know drzs make noise, but it seems like the classic "sounds likes rocks in my engine" is happening.  makes me think mcct adjustment.

coolant level is fine, i dont think its a gasket.

upon checking oil, was barley showing on the stick.  this is after a 25 mile ride home at 80+ mph on freeway (i commute for school).

i recorded a video. will try to upload soon.

basically, i was wondering if it is possible to jump a tooth and throw off the cam timing by chopping the throttle at 104 mph, tached out in 5th.  traffic got congested after a clearing and hence the quick throttle chop after a sprint between me and the other rider.

i know i know, no bueno, but the impromptu race with another drz owner on the freeway couldnt be passed up.

i know i wont know much til i open up the top end, but granted the episode preceeding the blue smoke symptoms, thought someone could shed some light from experience.

Edited by J.Ackel

I wonder if you've had the front piston seizure we've seen a lot of lately.

I wonder if you've had the front piston seizure we've seen a lot of lately.

Front piston? As opposed to the other pistons?

• Like 2

have you checked valve clearances yet, since you did your hot roding ordeal down the highway? open it up soon if your really concerned and check your timing as well as valve clearances. usually blue smoke out of the exhaust is oil consumption which is why you have low oil, maybe leading to what you said; bad valves or rings. but anything is possible...

Valve clearances were well in spec 2k ago. Guess i better order athena and some rhc stuff. Is Ron Hamp still in business these days? Guess nows the time for 50hp kit. Is Eddie back in solo business yet. I k.w theres been issues there, but i trust eddie if he' s rdy to do business again.

How's your oil consumption? Mine had been using almost 1L / 1000km (~620mi)...

After putting on new piston rings, that disappeared completely. She's not eating a drop of oil now. :)

• Like 1

Its burning oil so it's going to have oil consumption..Running low oil levels is time bomb...Keep the oil topped if you must ride it...I would be pulling it down ASAP

My guess is worn piston and rings...

• Like 1

For Headwork find someone who understands DRZ Heads .

THIS!!

Headwork is not a job for some 'Ricky-Racer' mechanic with a Harbor Freight dremel kit.

Guys who port heads have decades of experience with flow bench data to back up what they do. I am not saying that you should send your head to THESE GUYS, because they don't specialize in DRZ heads. What I am saying is read about what and how they do what they do, so you will understand more about head porting.

• Like 1

Blue smoke is oil being burnt, black smoke is fuel.

There is only two ways for oil to get in and be burned. Down from the valve guides or up from the piston.

If it only smokes when you start it up then it will most likely be the valve guides.

If it smokes all the time, oil is getting up past the rings. This can be from worn rings, cracked rings, or a scored cylinder wall allowing oil to get up into the combustion chamber.

It looks like its time for some engine work though.

• Like 2

Valve stem seals

In my experience, shot valve seals will smoke quite a bit on start-up, and on throttle transitions, whereas, rings seem to constantly smoke.

After re-reading the OP's symptoms, I wonder if he didn't blow the head gasket?

• Like 1

Valve clearances were well in spec 2k ago. Guess i better order athena and some rhc stuff. Is Ron Hamp still in business these days? Guess nows the time for 50hp kit. Is Eddie back in solo business yet. I k.w theres been issues there, but i trust eddie if he' s rdy to do business again.

How about an update mate.....Did you open up the top end..?

My sumo buddy Wes and his Dad opened her up today while i was at the county fair eating corndogs with my old lady.

He gets parts from the local dealer at like 5% over cost, and bought valves, rings, piston etc. for a complete topend rebuild for just over $400

We hadnt opened it up because i was still riding it to work 10 miles a day. I kept her topped on oil.

I got a text saying bad news, the bottom end is shot too. The pic attatched was sent with the text as well. Im not sure exactly what im looking at. Cylinder wall? Spoke to him briefly, he says there is abnormal play in the crank rod, time for a new bottom end too. Bummer.

This guys trustworthy. His dad is the skilled mechanic, guess he does a lot of work for my buddies other friends who ride dirt etc. He has the head machining set to match new valves, so i figured id let him do the work, also since the oem parts would be had at a big discount.

Oh yeah. I dont have the money atm to throw an athena/ cylinder works kit at it. So i decided to go with all factory oem rebuild to keep her reliable until i had some extra cash for a big bore stroked monster. This is my daily driver atm, i put 10k + miles on it the first year i had it. It rebuild time now with 16k on the odo.

I ride freeways to school, sometimes 80-95 95 when passing/ open lanes when running late. I drive like a hooligan ( safe however) around town. Im also at fault for letting it warm up too long. Oh i forgot my wallet inside, get back out, oh i gotta leak before i go etc. Sometimes it idles for 10 min or more in the AM. Im religious with oil changes, but after a few changes and not really losing oil, ive gotten lazy and assume its good. Last few oil changes ive noticed it losing more oil ( before blue smoke) so im thinking all this coupled with my riding style, coupled with low oil is recipe for disaster.

Oh well, i see the light at the end of the tunnel. Lessons learned the hard way. Ima drop some teeth in the back when shes healthy again ( id love wide ratio but $$$) and do it all over again.

tmp_imagejpeg_0_21712911256.jpeg

• Like 1