Sign in to follow this  

Should be starting good!

I have an 07 crf250r recently did a top end with new intake valves, and weisco piston and rings, everything else is stock.  The bike seems to be a bit of a pain to start still, usually when hot it will start first kick, but every now and then or if I stall it I can have a heck of a time getting it started again, same goes for cold starting.  The work was done professionally and the timing is spot on, valves have been re-checked after break in and everything is good.  Is this just the way it is?  I don't get why once warm now and then it doesn't want to start, I know after kicking for awhile I have pulled the choke for the hell of it, and it fired up, why is this.  Any ideas, or does this sound pretty normal? thanks

I also have an 07 250r, that iv'e owned for 4 months and have learned after reading everything i could on the starting issues with these bikes, that their all a bit differant, with slightly differant personalitys.

The fact that yours sometimes needs the choke to start when warm, tells you, you should probably go richer on the slow speed circuits, either a larger slow jet or turning out your mixture screw ccw.

You've got to find a tecnique that works for your bike. I 've found that i can't just stand with my left foot on the ground and flail away at the kickstarter, it could that 10 or 20 kicks or never start that way. I always try to start it on the stand or prop my left foot up on something or at least if im on a slope, have the wheels below my left foot. That way i can push the starter through slowly and set it up just at the right spot (after the click) make sure it's at the very top ratchet, jump up slightly with my left foot and stroke the starter down as swiftly as possible all the way to the bottom. I usually get mine going in one or two kicks, but you really have to get a feel for what your bike wants fuel wise.

Such as when mine's cold it likes a couple of thottle pumps with the choke, and hot , i have to use the hot start lever or i'll never get it going.

Edited by bucket list

Thanks for the reply, I'll try adjusting the air/fuel screw first, think even a slight adjustment can make that much difference? If that doesn't help maybe going to a 45 slow jet? Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I'll try adjusting the air/fuel screw first, think even a slight adjustment can make that much difference? If that doesn't help maybe going to a 45 slow jet? Thanks

Yea, a 45 is what i have in mine now, with 21/4 turns out on the mixture screw. I'm in the lower mainland and when it was colder, feb., march. , i was thinking of going to a 48 because it was quite lean for the lower temp. ok now with the warmer temp.

The slow jet will make a bigger difference than the mixture screw, it's recommended you stay between 13/4 and 21/2 turns on the mixture screw.

If it doesn't start within 2 to 3 kicks you have to determine if it wants more fuel or less fuel. If you think it wants more fuel, give the throttle a pump or two, if it fires up you were right, if not it probably wanted less fuel. If thats the case, while holding the throttle wide open,kick it through quickly 12 to 15 times to clear the excess fuel and start over again.

Edited by bucket list

Thanks for your help so far.  Ive changed to a 45 pilot, and from cold with 2-3 pumps of throttle it seems to be starting good, I haven't actually taken it out riding yet.  But just cracking the throttle it bogs and gets a slight haze coming out the exhaust, too rich now??  Ive tried adjusting the fuel screw to a few different positions and it doesn't seem to help.  Im about 2 turns out now.  Any other advice is much appreciated. thanks