Sign in to follow this  

Anyone here jump with the stock WR suspension?

Been riding a little lately. Cant get over how good it handles everything I throw at it. woods is perfect, jumps are good too, plus has magic button. Here is a few vids. I take it to the local tracks sometimes and people look at me weird, but I could care less what anyone thinks. I'm not really sure why I had so many YZ250 before I got a WR.

A little choppy because it was recorded under slow mo on iphone and when you upload to youtube it removes that for some reason.

http://youtu.be/j-9dUUeAuF8

I do take my 06 wr 250 to a couple of tracks and I do get the looks occasionally. Not that I care much, I hold my own. My bike is set for trail riding, with clickers close to what manual suggests as standard. Do you setup your suspension different for the track? I usually don't get that much air, but I am not going too fast either. Thx

Yea, I usually go 4 or 5 clicks in for both on the front. The rear usually is perfect since I ride it a little stiff anyway. Other than that I did the free engine mods and yz cam timing. Still Haven't even jetted it yet. Best all around bike and it really feels good in the woods too

I used to have a spare Wr in my garage a number of years back. When the YZ was down, I would take it to the track during practice. During Moto's I would run with the headlights on. The funnest thing was watching guys ride way over their head to try and keep the guy with the hand guards and the headlight from passing them.

The gearing and the weight of the bike is what made it not that terribly competitive. Jumping was okay as long as you down sided the jump. Flat landing was harsh on the hands. It needed more fork oil. But other than that, it felt like you were racing a Cadillac. It was loads of fun.

Ok so that is stiffer with slower rebound?

I will have to try it next time. 

@oldnbold, yes, I do know the feel of driving that Cadillac :)

Yea, I usually go 4 or 5 clicks in for both on the front. The rear usually is perfect since I ride it a little stiff anyway. Other than that I did the free engine mods and yz cam timing. Still Haven't even jetted it yet. Best all around bike and it really feels good in the woods too

I used to have a spare Wr in my garage a number of years back. When the YZ was down, I would take it to the track during practice. During Moto's I would run with the headlights on. The funnest thing was watching guys ride way over their head to try and keep the guy with the hand guards and the headlight from passing them.

The gearing and the weight of the bike is what made it not that terribly competitive. Jumping was okay as long as you down sided the jump. Flat landing was harsh on the hands. It needed more fork oil. But other than that, it felt like you were racing a Cadillac. It was loads of fun.

I would have to agree, flat landings are a little rough. It feels very comparable to my old 03 YZ to be honest. The gearing was bad before the timing change, now its great because 3rd gear is so long I hardly need to shift. I honestly never noticed the weight going from yz to wr unless I dumped it. It does most certainly ride like a Cadillac though..

I hit the track all the time on my WR250F. I'm still a noob on the track and cornering is coming frustratingly slow to me. But I jump like a gazelle on steroids. I hit both traditional MX and GPMX with monster jumps. Even with clickers cranked to max I'll bottom out a few times a day. Usually cause I shorted a double or launched off a tower jump. I'm not thrilled to hear those forks hit bottom but what will be will be.  I back the clickers out close to standard for trails.

And if you think you get looks on the WRF you should have seen my on the track with my WR250R (dual sport)!!

Edited by gatorfan

I hit the track all the time on my WR250F. I'm still a noob on the track and cornering is coming frustratingly slow to me. But I jump like a gazelle on steroids. I hit both traditional MX and GPMX with monster jumps. Even with clickers cranked to max I'll bottom out a few times a day. Usually cause I shorted a double or launched off a tower jump. I'm not thrilled to hear those forks hit bottom but what will be will be.  I back the clickers out close to standard for trails.

And if you think you get looks on the WRF you should have seen my on the track with my WR250R (dual sport)!!

Yea, People seem to think they are TTR. I can't remember how many people asked me if it is a ttr. Sometimes I tell them yes just for fun. If your clickers are cranked and your bottoming out still you dont have enough oil or you are overweight or casing the jump pretty bad. Its kinda the nature of this type of forks unfortunately. Without proper setup they will bottom out, even when my 2003 yz was setup for my by pro action it still would trash the wrist on a hard landing. If you are smacking the bottom of the cartridge, you should check the oil height.

Good to see I'm not the only goon riding a wr at the track haha.

Edited by mxmaddman

Good thread timing. I hadn't been on a dirtbike in over 15 years, but picked up an 09 WR250 this last winter. I knew I'd do mostly trail riding, so that's why I chose it over the YZF.

Here's a vid of my first time out on it, and I've got to say. The few times I've seen guys on here say it's difficult to jump a WR? I think they just have to twist the throttle some more. This was a rusty old guy (34) that hadn't been on a dirtbike since I was a teenager.

I'd like to see what the YZF's are like on the jumps though. This bike blew my mind from what I was used to riding when I was a kid.

It's all relative, meaning it depends on your personal point of view.

For example, compared to the natural-terrain trails I rode my 2009 WR-250F on every weekend, the track in that video looks like a perfectly manicured freeway.

Guys that are into motocross are, basically, going to shoot a WR-250F down without even riding it, let alone even being able to identify what model of motorcycle it is.

Remove the headlight and replace it with a late-model YZ front number plate, remove the tail light, remove the digital speedometer/odometer, slap on some stupid-looking "custom" graphics, and show up at the track with the bike in the back of a ridiculously tall lifted 4X4, and the bike will instantly look a lot better to these guys.

All still without riding the bike.

Here's a vid of my first time out on it, and I've got to say. The few times I've seen guys on here say it's difficult to jump a WR? I think they just have to twist the throttle some more. This was a rusty old guy (34) that hadn't been on a dirtbike since I was a teenager.

Where is this? nice riding area!

It's all relative, meaning it depends on your personal point of view.

For example, compared to the natural-terrain trails I rode my 2009 WR-250F on every weekend, the track in that video looks like a perfectly manicured freeway.

Guys that are into motocross are, basically, going to shoot a WR-250F down without even riding it, let alone even being able to identify what model of motorcycle it is.

Remove the headlight and replace it with a late-model YZ front number plate, remove the tail light, remove the digital speedometer/odometer, slap on some stupid-looking "custom" graphics, and show up at the track with the bike in the back of a ridiculously tall lifted 4X4, and the bike will instantly look a lot better to these guys.

All still without riding the bike.

The video doesn't show very well, but it's a decently rutted track in areas, and it's quite sandy (hence my vagina in the corners).

And your 2nd paragraph is actually why my video is titled what it is. A few guys I know were all "WTF" when I picked up the WR. They think "trail bike" automatically means some great big enduro style dual purpose monster. I love the WR so far, and the haters just make me smile. At one point in the day one guy had a pretty gnarly crash and busted up his shoulder or collar bone. So a bunch of us pulled off track to tend to him. I put my kickstand down and the rest of the guys had to lay their bikes in their sides. Then when he was all handled and we went to go back to riding, there were 3 guys kicking and kicking away at their hot bikes and I went, "Hey guys!" I put my pointer finger in the air, twirled it an a few circles, and then exaggeratingly pushed my e-start button with my pointer finger. They were all still laughing (and trying to start their bikes) as I rode away.

Looking good man. Did you do the free mods to the 09?

Thank you. It feels great to be back on one. TBH I didn't think it'd be this much fun. I roadrace sportbikes and bought the dirtbike for 'practice' in between race rounds. Right now I'm almost more excited to get back out on the dirtbike than I am for the next race weekend. Well not really, but I'm definitely chomping at the bit to get out.

I've got a slip on (if they're called that on dirtbikes) and the throttle stop removed. I've got the AIS removal on the way, and the plan is to mess with the grey wire when I do the air pump junk.

Where is this? nice riding area!

It called Wild Bill's, out in the St Francis area in Alberta. It's a fun little track.

Lol, I'm a 'great big a**hole.

Here's a shot of me and "Gramps" (the bike's name) getting some air last weekend.

Good shot man,