Sign in to follow this  

2000 xr100 trade for 2001 cr80

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and after reading around I figured I might as well post. So I currently have a 2000 xr100 as a play bike with a few mods (pipe, sprockets, air box mod etc) and I am getting a little tired of the lack of power, suspension, brakes. After looking on craigslist I found this I am interested in trying a 2 stroke (never have ridden one before). im 6' 130lb so I'm not sure if the bike would be to small....I would also be riding it on trails mostly. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you're six feet, I'd guess both bikes are too small for you. Did you mean 5 feet? That sounds like a closer fit. 

The xr100 is a slow, dependable, reliable, low maintenance bike. The cr80 will have squirrel power and be all jumpy and crazy, more fun in my opinion. You'll learn what a power band is, seeing as the xr100 really doesn't have one.

If the cr is running, it might be an ok trade. You need to find out if it has good compression, what condition the top end is in, etc. Be prepared to dump money into it. 

2-strokes are much more of a thrill. I got bored with an xr400 and got a cr125. Adrenaline. 

Seeing as you are 6 foot, a CR80 is way to small. I'm almost 6 foot and around 145lb and I ride a CRF450R and CR250.

For your height and weight, and looking for a 2 stroke, I would suggest either a 250 2 stroke, because your 6 foot. Or a 125 2 stroke, because your only 130lbs.

Try and have a ride on both the 125 and 250 to see which one you like better. 

Thanks for all the info, here is the AD for the cr80 I was looking at I thought I included it in the original post but I guess I didn't (http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/4474037508.html). Also just to confirm I am indeed 6 feet not 5 haha. So you guys are saying that even as a play bike the cr80 wouldn't be worth getting? I plan on buying a used crf250r or yz250f as a full size bike so the cr80 would be solely for messing around on. Also will that thing be able to lug up hills and stuff for trail riding? I won't be doing much track riding until I get better.

Thanks for all the info, here is the AD for the cr80 I was looking at I thought I included it in the original post but I guess I didn't (http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/4474037508.html). Also just to confirm I am indeed 6 feet not 5 haha. So you guys are saying that even as a play bike the cr80 wouldn't be worth getting? I plan on buying a used crf250r or yz250f as a full size bike so the cr80 would be solely for messing around on. Also will that thing be able to lug up hills and stuff for trail riding? I won't be doing much track riding until I get better.

6' is way too tall for a cr80, even if you are just messing around on them.  It definitely won't be a good trail bike, even at your weight.  If you want an 80, you should get an "RB" (the large wheel version) at the very least.  If you really want to trail ride it, it is going to need a 105cc big bore kit with low/mid porting at the very least in order to carry you over even the most mild trails.  Small bore 2 strokes are not meant to "lug" at all, but are designed to scream at 12500 rpm all day.  IMO, you would be much happier with a 125 or 250 like was mentioned above, if you are really looking to trail ride a bike, you will want a 250, or get a 125 and get it ported for more low/mid power. 

If you want a 2t play bike i say go for it, I have a cr250 but use my wife's kx80 as a play bike, I have a blast on it, just have to keep it on the pipe and feather the clutch more than a 4t. I'm even considering a purpose built 85cc 2t pit bike for my 6'2" 185ish ass. It's only money and you can't take with you when you die...I say go for it!!!