Sign in to follow this  

2007 kx250 spring rate?

Hi, I recently got myself a 07 kx250 2 stroke. The springs that are on it now are to soft for me. I've been having a hard time trying to figure out what kg springs I need. I'm an A class motocross rider and I weigh about 195 with gear on and 175-185 without. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it, thanks !

Edited by cook134

They have the stock spring rates listed incorrectly.  Stock is .44 for the fork springs and 5.3 for the shock spring.

Do you know what springs are on it now?  The stock shock spring had a yellow dot on it.  I am thinking you may need a touch stiffer springs than stock, but not much.  Perhaps .46 and a 5.4 or 5.5, depending on your sag numbers.

If you shop for fork springs, I suggest you DO NOT buy Race Tech for this application, just official KYB springs.  The preload amount is too much with the Race Tech models.  I bought KYB brand for my 2005 KX250.

Okay thanks for the info guys that helps a lot. I'm not sure which springs are on it now or if they are even stock, I'll have to check that out tomorrow. I'm glad you said something about the Race Tech springs because I was looking into some of them earlier.

ouch then I just purchased a 6.3kg spring for my bike because that's what race tech suggested for my weight (250) and your link tells me 5.7kg so what gives ? a matter of opinion ?

Race Tech knows thier stuff. From my experience. My bike worked better after i used thier charts and bought thier springs

As far as the fork springs needing too much preload, that definatly sounds like an issue

Did you contact them with that problem?

I am 240 pounds in gear, and I run a 5.5. I suspect a 5.6 might be better for me.  That is odd on 6.3.  I would wonder about the sag numbers.

The Race Tech fork springs may be the correct length for 2002 models, but they are not for 2005 - 2008 models, though they sell them as 2002/2005-2008 models.

KYB brand springs are 465mm long for 2005 - 2008.  Look on the Technical Touch catalog to see that 2002 and 2005-2008 are different models, I believe.