Sign in to follow this  

Anyone using Vortex ECU on their dirtbike?

I'm particularly interested if someone has purchased the hardware and software and tried programming it. So.. please tell me that it is not limited for programming only on RPM vs. throttle opening, is it?

What I need is an option to program it on RPM vs manifold pressure. Can it be done?

Thank you very much!

yes I have the software and tuning by manifold pressure is an option its basicly like your hi end auto software programs .

Thank you as usual Ron,

Any idea when they might release a lambda unit for closed loop system? Their homepage did describe a wideband o2 sensor, but it was labeled as a "future product" unfortunately.

It would be quite handy to autotune it like it's possible on Yoshi's pim2 and PowerCommander.

I run the Vortex X10 on my 12 CRF450R, programmed and installed by TokyoMods who is the number 1 dealer/reseller for this product in North America. Would suggest contacting Justin. They'll get you squared away. Good luck!

I have emailed Justin about this, but his replies seem somewhat shallow, I'm slowly getting the feeling that either he isn't or doesn't want to be very knowledgeable about my questions on the ECU.

But thanks for the input anyways :)

Yep, you're welcome! I suspect if you have exhausted all channels and decide to send your Vortex Ignition to Justin, he'll quickly reprogram it for a reasonable fee and overnight ship it back to you. Perhaps give him a call to coordinate and discuss what you need. For knowing him personally, with that approach I'm positive he'll take good care of you.

If I had to choose an aftermarket ECU, I'd go with an Athena Get ECU. Pretty much every input you'd ever need including MAP sensor input and lambda. I'd happily trade my Bazzaz ZFi, ZAFM, PowerCommander 5, and autotune all for one of those ECU's.

http://www.getdata.it/data/documentation/doc_12_eng.pdf

-5 Digital Inputs :
o Gear Cut Switch 
o Kill Switch
o Tipover 
o Sidestand/Neutral Sidestand
o Map Change 

-8 Analog Inputs
o TPS1 
o TPS2 
o MAP 
o LAMBDA 
o AIR TEMPERATURE 
o ENGINE TEMPERATUR
o Spare 1 
o Spare2 

If I had to choose an aftermarket ECU, I'd go with an Athena Get ECU. Pretty much every input you'd ever need including MAP sensor input and lambda. I'd happily trade my Bazzaz ZFi, ZAFM, PowerCommander 5, and autotune all for one of those ECU's.

http://www.getdata.it/data/documentation/doc_12_eng.pdf

-5 Digital Inputs :
o Gear Cut Switch 
o Kill Switch
o Tipover 
o Sidestand/Neutral Sidestand
o Map Change 

-8 Analog Inputs
o TPS1 
o TPS2 
o MAP 
o LAMBDA 
o AIR TEMPERATURE 
o ENGINE TEMPERATUR
o Spare 1 
o Spare2 

This is the first time I hear of this.

What country is developing and producing them?

And also I didn't see a spark voltage boost in the spec list. Have you ever tried this? Perhaps you know of some people that have run them for a while. ?

Thanks.

This is the first time I hear of this.

What country is developing and producing them?

And also I didn't see a spark voltage boost in the spec list. Have you ever tried this? Perhaps you know of some people that have run them for a while. ?

Thanks.

They are out of europe. I believe Italy. Pro circuit is a distributor but of course they mark them up to the moon.

I've only seen them being used in factory SX bikes and FIM pro stuff. It unlocks basically everything you could possibly adjust. But you have to buy the software license to unlock all the features, and it's something like $2500.

Holy damn F word..

And I thought Vortex was overpriced.. Sorry, but I might pass it then. My objective is to mess with excessive tuning because of experimental throttle body and intake system designs. So a full tuner pack is what I'm after.

2500 bucks for the soft alone seems way too much to bargain. The Vortex wanted some 350 bucks for it.

You can buy a stand-alone wide-band O2 monitoring and data acquisition system for pretty cheap. It won't auto-tune what you have, but it will give you the data you need to make the specific adjustments you need to reach your desired AFR.

Alright I suppose I could buy it. But how on earth am I going to wire it to my bike if it's not designed specifically for that purpose? Is there a product that does this?

Ask a local hot-rod car guy, he'll explain it. Innovate Motorsports makes some really good stuff. I have been working with them for many many years, since their first model, the LM-1. Be forewarned, there's a ton of cool stuff on this website, chop up your credit card before you go on it.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

Edited by Eddie8v

check out performance electronics in ohio usa they have high end ecus they were working on units for some mx aplications the software is free and will do every thing the Get will do and possibly more the only problem is you have to build your own base map based on volumetric efincency but if you get it clos 9-1 AF and get it running you can tune from there they may even have a base map from the kx 450 to get started with.

Holy damn F word..

And I thought Vortex was overpriced.. Sorry, but I might pass it then. My objective is to mess with excessive tuning because of experimental throttle body and intake system designs. So a full tuner pack is what I'm after.

2500 bucks for the soft alone seems way too much to bargain. The Vortex wanted some 350 bucks for it.

Dan Truman with GET was on the Pulp MX show #173 the other night. Steve Matthes got Dan to give a 20% discount on all GET & Athena products. Gave his direct phone number to order and for technical advice. I think he had a Florida telephone number.

I have emailed Justin about this, but his replies seem somewhat shallow, I'm slowly getting the feeling that either he isn't or doesn't want to be very knowledgeable about my questions on the ECU.

But thanks for the input anyways :)

Actually Justin is very knowledgable about the Vortex ECU. I'd call him, he's a really nice guy.

Why not use microsquirt? The newest edition is very powerfull and compact, with weatherproof connectors. I havnt priced out a new one but the fuel only versions a few years ago where less than 500 for the ecu. Fully programable with o2 inputs and datalogging. It had limited add ons but the basics were all there to get an engine running really well.

Curious about the performance electronics. Got no reply on my email yet. Is it even possible to adapt ECU to a specific bike if they have not purposly made that thing for it?

You can put there unit on any thing as long as you can soder they were working on 30 pin conectors for  all the models