Sign in to follow this  

Klx450 stuck open intake valve HELP

HI, I'm still sorta new here but I recently had my intake valve stick open, I took the head off and found the retaining clips had broke and the valve spring was just sitting there, I'm not sure if that's normal or not, I've never dealt with anything like this before. Valve was still stuck open a little less than half way I guess though, I took the valve out which was hard as shit by the way, I know its not suppose to do that, I had to put the head on a vice and beat it out, I'm just wandering what to do now, I have no idea, any help would be much appreciated, thank you 

I should probably also ad that the entire top end is off a 2007 kx450, that's the way I bought it, I didn't install it myself 

Millenium tech can fix it up and get u going. A KX 450 head would be good but if you did decide to do that I would still send it in for servicing so you start fresh. If the engine has been run enough to do that an engine freshining up May be in order. Top and bottom end.

If the valve was jammed and you had to beat is out, I'm guessing the guide is totalled. You should probably take the head to a machine shop and get the guides checked out... Was there any other damage? Did the valve hit the piston or vice versa?

well the valve did hit the piston but but there's barely a scratch, should I replace the piston too? 

after a failure like that, the rest of the engine is very much due for some love.  I would  get a manual and rebuild the whole thing and start fresh so you know how much time the engine has.  New piston, yes, new bottom end, yes.  Kx 450 piston and rod kits work.  Millenium services cranks too.  I get a good guy price if you want to talk shoot me a PM.

Alex